Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What is the average age at which a male and female child, if it differs, learn to make a simple complete sentence?

Is "(Name of person) is playing with my computer" said by a 2 year, 2 month old boy early or on time? I was stunned to hear it, said with the same clarity and pace as that of an adult.
Children differ in when they develop language.

Language Development In Children

As you can see from the chart, this would probably be considered early, but it is in the range of normal. I do think that these charts may have been normed from a time when there was less early language development.

I know that my son was very early and that we had another boy his age who was even more advanced and this was in the 70s. My dd at 18 months was often taken for 3 because of her language which was very clear and quite advanced because she copied everything her brother said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
As you can see from the chart, this would probably be considered early, but it is in the range of normal. I do think that these charts may have been normed from a time when there was less early language development.
Yeah, it is a little early. His sentence even had a prepositional phrase.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,520 times
Quote:
Today, you might have been dxed with PDD-NOS which is also on the spectrum.
Actually, I visited a psychiatrist and told him about this in 2009. Still the same result, he said it was inconclusive. I do have bipolar so that might have something to do with the weird symptoms. They probably overlapped.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What is the average age at which a male and female child, if it differs, learn to make a simple complete sentence?

Is "(Name of person) is playing with my computer" said by a 2 year, 2 month old boy early or on time? I was stunned to hear it, said with the same clarity and pace as that of an adult.
Sounds a little early to me, but not off the charts. My 3.5 yo has a speech/language delay, and the team told me that if she said 2 word sentences at 2 years old, 3 word sentences at 3 years old, and 4 word sentences by 4 years old that they would consider that on-target.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
I think language development is so fascinating. Our daughter spoke very early and had several words by a year old. By two we could have pretty good conversations with her. When she wasn't talking she was babbling and seemed to think she was talking. It might be worth noting that she took her first steps at 15 months, later than most kids.

Our son had maybe one word at a year old and much more disturbingly he was silent most of the time, I was sure he was going to have a speech delay. But when he did start speaking around 18-24months it was in complete sentences and perfectly clear. He walked at 10 months so I guess that's what he was working on.

My kids are 8 and 6 now, both speak just fine

Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Oh I thought I should also mention my friend's family. She has 5 kids, none of whom have spoken before they were 2. Not a single word. All of them were in speech. Only one of her children has actual developmental delays, two of them are in our local middle school gifted program.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:41 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
Quote:
Children differ in when they develop language.

Language Development In Children.

Interesting link. They don't take bilingual children into account though. Being raised in two languages can make the child slightly slower.
(sorry for being off topic)

Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I would say it's a little early but not significant. Some children don't talk at all until after age 3 and it's not a problem.

I even know a little girl who didn't talk at all until after she was age 6. It was obvious that she wasn't deaf, but her parents said never even with just the immediate family -- her parents and siblings did she talk. She went to school by age 5 and went the whole year without saying a word. Then when in first grade she just started talking and in complete sentences when she did.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Children who are read to regularly, using age-appropriate books and with the reader interacting with the child about the book and illustration's contents ("Where's the doggy? What does the doggy say?", etc.) and reading dramatically often learn to speak earlier than other children. The same technique can and should be used regularly and consistently with small children in situations other than reading time, to help raise the child's knowledge and awareness of the world around him or her, as well as to expand both vocabulary and communication.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
I find the developmental stages of children to be really fascinating. I am curious to see how my two new babies (twins due in a few weeks) developing differently than my daughter who is almost 2.

Regarding the speaking - I don't know that it is significantly advanced, but perhaps on the higher end. My dd was more mobile early, and did not really start saying words until just after her 1st birthday. Now she uses 5-6 word sentences similar to the 2 year old in the OP. My pediatrician has said that she is in the range of normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting