Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Except you are wrong. The may have less sperm, and other factors effecting infertility, such as shrinking of the ducts, but the typical man is still producing viable sperm past the average life span in this country.

Spermatogenesis and meiotic chromosomal behaviour in aged men

"Decreased spermatogenesis was found in most of these aged men although individual differences existed. "

Decreased, not ceased, not halted, not stopped, not anything else than a slow down in production but no where does it say that the typical man stops producing sperm. Not in your source, not in mine.

From your own source: "People assume that older men are still fertile since they can produce sperm."
Okay, I'll play a little longer...

Where did I say stop producing sperm? I said "viable sperm." I said men are not fertile their entire lives. This is a biological fact. It was once ignored. Women are not the only one's who can be "too old" to reproduce. It's not less sperm that they have, it is less quality sperm. Way less. It is not a mere "slow down" in production. And this affects ALL men, regardless of where they live. Producing sperm for a lifetime does NOT equal lifetime fertility.

Soooo....both men and women can be too old to reproduce: one because of egg quality or no eggs and the other because of sperm quality or to little of it.

From my quote which you re-quoted, above:

Quote:
People assume that older men are still fertile...
Meaning it is wrong to assume fertility simply because sperm is being produced.

Class dismissed. Thank you.

Last edited by Jaded; 02-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Okay, I'll play a little longer...

Where did I say stop producing sperm? I said "viable sperm." I said men are not fertile their entire lives. This is a biological fact. It was once ignored. Women are not the only one's who can be "too old" to reproduce. It's not less sperm that they have, it is less quality sperm. Way less. It is not a mere "slow down" in production. And this affects ALL men, regardless of where they live. Producing sperm for a lifetime does NOT equal lifetime fertility.

Soooo....both men and women can be too old to reproduce: one because of egg quality or no eggs and the other because of sperm quality or to little of it.

From my quote which you re-quoted, above:

Meaning it is wrong to assume fertility simply because sperm is being produced.

Class dismissed. Thank you.
Maybe you do not know what viable means. Viable means capable of germinating, or in the case of sperm capable of causing fertilization. From your own source these sperm are completely capable of fertilizing an egg.

"Theoretically you can have children at any age if you have sperm."

All thouse confounding factors do is lower his fertility NOT STOP IT. A woman is considered infertile when it is impossible for her to contribute to conception. This usually occurs at menopause or close to is because she stops making eggs. Men do not stop making sperm,

Fertility is a spectrum with infertile being at one end, and peak fertility at the other. Men surely slide down the side towards declining fertility but nothing you have posted or stated shows that men especially the typical man becomes infertile.

Your own source completely supports the idea of a reduction in fertility not a cease in fertility. It states things like this "It takes much longer for an older man to have children." LONGER is not never.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
It's terrible to have kids at an age when you should be having grandkids visits. If a person can't have kids due to medical circumstances, I think it should be treated on an individual basis. I had one child and could never have a second one because of medical problems. I could not afford special treatment to get pregnant so I had to accept the one pregnancy. Life is not fair. Or maybe it is ....just because you want something really bad doesn't mean you should try to get it at all cost.
Anything above 40 is old ...let alone 50 or 60 or 70...there's also the generation gap...some have kids to 'keep themselves young', yet another selfish reason to bring life into the world. Devoted? sure, what can you do after you get pregnant and decide to have the child? but wise? no..birthcontrol is so varied and proven to work that there's no excuse. It's not fair to the kid or to the future grandkids. Leave parenting to the younger generation.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Maybe you do not know what viable means. Viable means capable of germinating, or in the case of sperm capable of causing fertilization.
Wow. This is too funny...ROFLMAO. I was tired, now I'm wide awake!

Oxford Dictionary definition of "Viable":

Quote:
Definition of viable

adjective

capable of working successfully; feasible: the proposed investment was economically viable

• Botany (of a seed or spore) able to germinate: most clones can produce thousands of viable seeds

• Biology (of a plant, animal, or cell) capable of surviving or living successfully, especially under particular environmental conditions: the largest and most viable population of this endangered vetch little of the frozen semen has been viable when thawed

• Medicine (of a fetus or unborn child) able to live after birth: what if the fetus were viable?
See bolded phrases, esp. the one under "biology" with the use of the word. Sperm live in semen; when the semen isn't viable, neither is the sperm.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Wow. This is too funny...ROFLMAO. I was tired, now I'm wide awake!

Oxford Dictionary definition of "Viable":

See bolded phrases, esp. the one under "biology" with the use of the word. Sperm live in semen; when the semen isn't viable, neither is the sperm.
Let the actual biologist school you a bit here. Semen is never viable as it is not alive. It is a collection of liquids, proteins etc.

Anyway, your own source clearly states older men have lower fertility and are still capable of fathering a child not that they are infertile. Apparently too subtle a distinction for some. Oh well.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I know a guy who is in his 60's, he's got an 8 year old kid, the kid takes all types of advantage of his dad having poor health and low energy and the mom's not really strict or following through on things, she's in her 50's and certainly not active as far as her mind and body. So this kid'll end up in big trouble soon. They love the kid of course, but it's not about love ...This is not an isolated thing. At that age, you are supposed to have grandkids who visit now and then and you can send them home at the end of the day...

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I know a guy who is in his 60's, he's got an 8 year old kid, the kid takes all types of advantage of his dad having poor health and low energy and the mom's not really strict or following through on things, she's in her 50's and certainly not active as far as her mind and body. So this kid'll end up in big trouble soon. They love the kid of course, but it's not about love ...This is not an isolated thing. At that age, you are supposed to have grandkids who visit now and then and you can send them home at the end of the day...
Oh, for Pity's sake! Do you think that all 20-40 something parents are in the best of health? And are you sure this 50 year old mom is "not active as far as her mind"? Body, I can believe, although it's been my experience, from my own life and that of my friends, that most people are on a very gentle downslope regarding physical health until about age 60 or so. Then the decline becomes a little more noticeable, but even so, most 60 year olds are in the workforce. In a few years, we'll all have to work till we're 70 to collect social security. I've both worked full time and parented full time, plus a few other permutations, and one is no more physically taxing than the other. As for the mind, yes, early onset Alzheimer's happens, but it's not common, and certainly most people in their 50s, again, are in the workforce and making decisions all day long.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Let the actual biologist school you a bit here.
No thank you.

Your school of thought is extremely flawed my friend.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM

170 posts, read 323,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
It's terrible to have kids at an age when you should be having grandkids visits. If a person can't have kids due to medical circumstances, I think it should be treated on an individual basis. I had one child and could never have a second one because of medical problems. I could not afford special treatment to get pregnant so I had to accept the one pregnancy. Life is not fair. Or maybe it is ....just because you want something really bad doesn't mean you should try to get it at all cost.
Anything above 40 is old ...let alone 50 or 60 or 70...there's also the generation gap...some have kids to 'keep themselves young', yet another selfish reason to bring life into the world. Devoted? sure, what can you do after you get pregnant and decide to have the child? but wise? no..birthcontrol is so varied and proven to work that there's no excuse. It's not fair to the kid or to the future grandkids. Leave parenting to the younger generation.
This is exactly what my big brother was always saying. Not too long ago, they had run a story in the news about a 70-something Indian woman who still had twins. This woman gave birth to 4 other children way back. She was supposed to have gone through menopause long ago. But the concern remains... she's a bit too old at this point... what if she falls over and dies? Who would take care of her children? The interviewers asked her about that, but all she said was: "I don't care, I want to see my kids when they are young."

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordula View Post
This is exactly what my big brother was always saying. Not too long ago, they had run a story in the news about a 70-something Indian woman who still had twins. This woman gave birth to 4 other children way back. She was supposed to have gone through menopause long ago. But the concern remains... she's a bit too old at this point... what if she falls over and dies? Who would take care of her children? The interviewers asked her about that, but all she said was: "I don't care, I want to see my kids when they are young."
This is scary. Totally selfish IMO. What about her children seeing her when she dies? Just goes to show you...just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting