Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times

Advertisements

I guess I should be astounded that I survived to adult hood. I grew up in the days when even city kids were free range.

Out the door in the AM, home for lunch, out until dinner, then out again until the street lights came on. No one had a helmet for anything, ever. Bumps, knocks and bruises were part of growing up. We all survived it.

But seriously, perhaps in this case hubby can walk around the house with his wife and help her baby proof the place. 8 months old is a mostly still a crawler, so check to see that there is nothing he can pull down on himself, no sharp edges he can bang into, some sort of crib cover to keep him in & enough baby gates in place to contain him in a well supervised and safe area.

Her fear is understandable but fear cannot go overboard into the helicopter parent from hell either. There is a middle ground and perhaps her hubby can help her find it. Also that little foam helmet is not going to help if the kid crawls up on the back of a couch and then tumbles to the floor. Good supervision prevents that, not a helmet.

Kids actually learn to navigate the world by getting bumped,etc. now and then. Example, if they try to pull themselves up on something learning to stand stand and it's not strong enough and they fall back, it teaches them to think and choose what they are doing. To test first. This is learning and it is not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I think it's a bad idea.

The helmet will have to fasten on somehow and what if he pulls himself up, hooks the strap on something, and hangs himself?

My youngest had a really big head and a small body when she started walking (her head circumference was in the 95th percentile and her height was at less than the 3rd) so she used to topple over onto her head a lot. We padded the corners of walls that stuck out, and put away our coffee table and end table. I also had a play area set up for her, with one of those Superyard fences and then a padded foam floor, where she played when I was busy. That was mostly to protect her from the herd of neighborhood children who were usually over playing with her older sister, but it was also an area where it was impossible for her to bump her head.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
All sorts of problems here. There is no excuse for a normal child to be placed in a helmet around its own house.

I'd be much more concerned about whatever perceived danger necessitates wearing a helmet around the house in the first place, whether that is the mom's lack of attention, or just a hazardous house. The husband should be very concerned about this, but not just because it's completely bizarre, or that the child will be made fun of (which it will). He needs to find out what on earth possesses her to think that wearing a helmet around the house is necessary for this specific child, and what makes their child's care "her call".

The way this is written--if this situation is even real--the mom sounds like she's not playing with a full deck.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
All sorts of problems here. There is no excuse for a normal child to be placed in a helmet around its own house.

I'd be much more concerned about whatever perceived danger necessitates wearing a helmet around the house in the first place, whether that is the mom's lack of attention, or just a hazardous house. The husband should be very concerned about this, but not just because it's completely bizarre, or that the child will be made fun of (which it will). He needs to find out what on earth possesses her to think that wearing a helmet around the house is necessary for this specific child, and what makes their child's care "her call".

The way this is written--if this situation is even real--the mom sounds like she's not playing with a full deck.
The OP apparently omitted a very important piece of information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
She is not a first-time mom, but the older child did have a serious head injury once. I think she feels responsible for that and it has affected her decision making.
Under the circumstances, I think the poor woman's concern is not completely out in left field. It does however, need to be addressed for the benefit of both herself and the rest of the family. I hope she is getting help in dealing with her feelings.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Are you sure it isn't one of those corrective devices for babies who get a flat head?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
There was a story on the news awhile back about parents who have their toddlers wear helmets all the time. Apparently, it's getting more common because parents are afraid their children will fall and get head injuries.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
She is not a first-time mom, but the older child did have a serious head injury once. I think she feels responsible for that and it has affected her decision making.
Did the older child recover? All kids fall down and hit their heads and get bumped and bruised in other ways. It's just part of growing up. You can't protect them from everything. He can wear a helmet and still stick a fork in an outlet (just an example, I'm sure she has the outlets covered).

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Yeah, just have her follow him around with a velvet pillow everywhere he goes.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I suspect we don't have all the details here. Children who have neurological issues are often encouraged to wear helmets.

It is also very problematic having children who learn to walk very young. I do know of children who learned to walk at 8 or 9 months, and they don't have great co-ordination, and they are very head-heavy, and is not uncommon for the very young walkers to wear helmets for a few weeks.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I suspect we don't have all the details here. Children who have neurological issues are often encouraged to wear helmets.

It is also very problematic having children who learn to walk very young. I do know of children who learned to walk at 8 or 9 months, and they don't have great co-ordination, and they are very head-heavy, and is not uncommon for the very young walkers to wear helmets for a few weeks.
We have all the details. A sibling had a serious head injury once. Obviously, the mom is terrified of that happening again and is considering this.

I don't think the mom should visit her fears and terror on the child. It's just not a good thing to do. She needs to talk to someone to try to come to grips and understand that the head injury, while awful and scary, was an event, not something that is going to happen to all of her children and she must do everything she can to avoid even the most remote chance of it happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting