Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,533 times

Advertisements

the op is a guy - Carolina_guy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I think its pretty obvious what it is- voluntary segregation. Now if that is what someone truly desires, I suppose they should go for it. But I reckon they abdicate any right to complain about racism without invoking hypocrisy.

Of course, there are certain groups that are worlds within a world. Hasidic Jews would be a good example. They already segregate themselves, so such a desire would be natural.

Its a shame that African Americans spent the better part of three hundred years or so basically saying that their color should not matter. Yet, now they are the very ones who are saying, yes it does matter. And that is very sad.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think its pretty obvious what it is- voluntary segregation. Now if that is what someone truly desires, I suppose they should go for it. But I reckon they abdicate any right to complain about racism without invoking hypocrisy.

Of course, there are certain groups that are worlds within a world. Hasidic Jews would be a good example. They already segregate themselves, so such a desire would be natural.

Its a shame that African Americans spent the better part of three hundred years or so basically saying that their color should not matter. Yet, now they are the very ones who are saying, yes it does matter. And that is very sad.
They? All of them? Wow, I guess "they" never sent the memo to "us"!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Would it be ok for me to ask "looking for caucasian dads to share parenting, social adventures, love for travel, dining out, movies....etc. or just hooking up at a Starbucks to complain about the world!" I'm just trying to innocently figure this out for a world trying hard to forget there are different colors of skin. Just askin...
The way I read it, the OP is asking about getting together with caucasian dads...??? or am I missing it completely (a distinct possibility - LOL!!)

[note to OP: my kids say "don't use the phrase hooking up - it has a new current meaning"...]

Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
They? All of them? Wow, I guess "they" never sent the memo to "us"!
Oh be serious already. Nitpicking on semantics is a cop out and a response best filed under pathetic.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Oh be serious already. Nitpicking on semantics is a cop out and a response best filed under pathetic.
Actually, IMO, that response was completely appropriate. Seems like it's time to stop making sweeping, generalizing, stereotypical statements about different cultures...that sure won't help solve anything!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
Actually, IMO, that response was completely appropriate. Seems like it's time to stop making sweeping, generalizing, stereotypical statements about different cultures...that sure won't help solve anything!

Earth to SaveMtns:

I am the one decrying segregation, voluntary or otherwise. You, by disputing that notion, are by default supporting the very idea of segregation.

While you may be more comfortable with "your own kind", whomever or whatever that might be, rest assured a good many of us find that line of thought rather...primitive.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:09 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Earth to SaveMtns:

I am the one decrying segregation, voluntary or otherwise. You, by disputing that notion, are by default supporting the very idea of segregation.

While you may be more comfortable with "your own kind", whomever or whatever that might be, rest assured a good many of us find that line of thought rather...primitive.
Sweeping generalizations and condescension do little to bolster one's argument or encourage debate. Just as in many of your previous posts on this site, you appear to utilize cheap shots and a know-it-all attitude in your attempts to explain your views. The effect merely dilutes your cred and turns people off.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Everything you say here makes a blanket statement about each group. BLANKET STATEMENTS about different cultures are useless--each culture is made up of individuals--who all act differently, ergo, blanket statements just don't work.

[message from Planet SaveMtns]

Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Sweeping generalizations and condescension do little to bolster one's argument or encourage debate. Just as in many of your previous posts on this site, you appear to utilize cheap shots and a know-it-all attitude in your attempts to explain your views. The effect merely dilutes your cred and turns people off.
Know it all? I know segregation is wrong. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting