Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,439,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Maybe I did not communicate properly. I'm not worried about my child learning hitting and biting. That is not currently in his repetoire of behavior and we will most certainly deal with it if it rears its head. I'm more worried about my child being hit and bitten. He is a gentle child and I just wonder if the teachers can prevent this or if it's all apologies at pick-up time that we have to get used to. Thanks.
In my experience

1) your kid may get bitten (he is 2. . .sometimes they stop by then)
2) your kid may get bumped, fall over, or any other altercation. It happens. Its normal
3) your kid may cry, and he will get hugged, and you will get a report. and they will time out the offending kid
4) at some point your kid will do something too to another kid.

so is life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
In my experience

1) your kid may get bitten (he is 2. . .sometimes they stop by then)
2) your kid may get bumped, fall over, or any other altercation. It happens. Its normal
3) your kid may cry, and he will get hugged, and you will get a report. and they will time out the offending kid
4) at some point your kid will do something too to another kid.

so is life
Spoken like a veteran parent of a toddler.

My daughter worked at a day care. Not much surprised her re: behavior of toddlers. (She worked with the 2 year olds.)

Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 583 times
Lovelysummer. To be comletely honest you come across as one of the most judgmental, self righteous, 'my child is perfect' worse kind of people I have read in a long time. I almost thought you were a parody. One day your child will hurt another person, be it physically or emotionally. How will you deal with this? What if your approach doesn't work? You'll probably blame it on all the other little terrors your angel was subjected to and corrupted by. I feel for the parents of any of the children that will go to preschool with your son. No matter what, someone elses child will always be in the wrong. You come across as so passive aggressive in your post. I am surprised you have got to 2 years of parenting and have any baby-friends left at all.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:11 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,276,562 times
Meh I told my son he better hit back. Self defense is natural. Sorry I know this is against popular thought but from what I observe about daycares with so many kids in the classroom it's easy for teachers to oversee situations when kids are hitting each other. Thus waiting for the teacher to intervene doesnt always work. I've seen in my own eyes a kid being hit by another in front of a teacher who wasnt paying attention to it at all. It's important to teach a child the need to practice self defense, not just in terms of fighting but in standing up for yourself in situations where you are treated wrong or unfairly or hurt. If someone was hitting me trying to kill me, am I going to lay there and take it and call for an authority to help(especially if they aren't around or can't see it or hear me) or am I going to fight back for my life?

Self defense is also about loving yourself enough to not let anyone treat you in a way that has you feeling like a doormat or push over. I was raised to hit back if a kid hit me because teachers aren't always going to be there to help and telling all the time and getting a rep as a pushover only makes you more of a target. Now at that age its normal for the kids to hit. It happens. And in normal circumstances the parent need to intervene and tell them no and explain why it's not nice to hit. However when your in a classroom with that many kids that type of intervening isn't always going to happen. Which is why I give my child permission to hit back. I was raised that way growing up. Then again that's the way a lot of black parents are with their kids--a kid hit you, you better hit back.

When I saw a little girl hit my son last year I taught him how to fight. Again I know it's not a popular approach but that will teach the kid hitting my kid not to hit him or be prepared to get laid out lol.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM

861 posts, read 2,719,918 times
Ha.... I remember this post from 2 years ago. Wonder how it panned out for the OP'er and her perfect little, non hitting angel....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting