Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times

Advertisements

I didn't read all of the posts. No matter what approach you use there will still be children who end up being potty trained at the later end of the spectrum, because that is simply where they are developmentally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
I've thought up a new fad! Having children because you want to raise children to be responsible adults, instead of puppets for you to show the world how trendy you are!!

I don't know if it will catch on though...

Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Yes, because not wearing a diaper at 3 months is going to negatively impact the adult that he will someday be. I see the argument; this has "future delinquent" written all over it.

Or, you know, not.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM

340 posts, read 523,934 times
I've read a couple of articles on this, and it definitely would not have been a choice I would have considered. I used cloth diapers, so never was I burdened with concerns/worries over mounting/ongoing diaper costs, and having raised two daughters and four sons, I knew all about wet bedding and clothing.

Pulling off a pair of rubber pants, unpinning a diaper, changing the diaper, refastening a fresh clean diaper with pins, and topping off with a pair of rubber pants, was something I used to be able to speed through in about the same amount of time as a mother changing a disposable... and let me tell you, I much preferred that, over having to do two hours of laundry.

As for outings... two diapers were applied to said kids bottom just prior to heading out the door, which I could set my watch by as far as reliability in the absorbancy department went, and that never failed to buy me enough time to do all the shopping and bill-paying and running around town that I needed to do before the two applied diapers needed changing, and by then we were usually back home again.

By no means did I cherish dunking diapers up and down in the toilet, or dragging poop-filled rubber pants down someone's legs at change time, but diapers allowed me freedom. LOTS of freedom...

Last edited by Lavadora; 08-08-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
I've read a couple of articles on this, and it definitely would not have been a choice I would have considered. I used cloth diapers, so never was I burdened with concerns/worries over mounting/ongoing diaper costs, and having raised two daughters and four sons, I knew all about wet bedding and clothing.

Pulling off a pair of rubber pants, unpinning a diaper, changing the diaper, refastening a fresh clean diaper with pins, and topping off with a pair of rubber pants, was something I used to be able to speed through in about the same amount of time as a mother changing a disposable... and let me tell you, I much preferred that, over having to do two hours of laundry.

As for outings... two diapers were applied to said kids bottom just prior to heading out the door, which I could set my watch by as far as reliability in the absorbancy department went, and that never failed to buy me enough time to do all the shopping and bill-paying and running around town that I needed to do before the two applied diapers needed changing, and by then we were usually back home again.

By no means did I cherish dunking diapers up and down in the toilet, or dragging poop-filled rubber pants down someone's legs at change time, but diapers allowed me freedom. LOTS of freedom...
That's something I've never heard anyone say. No one with an infant has lots of freedom.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 AM

118 posts, read 218,053 times
We're on our second EC'd kid, and we've never let either of them pee or poop in between cars -that's definitely gross and unsanitary. I won't get into our reasons/defense of said reasons because I don't enjoy fighting for fighting's sake (surprising I go on the internet at all, then, I suppose...), but I am flabbergasted at how many people think letting your infant sit around in his own waste for a few hours is perfectly acceptable, but the rare wipe-up of pee off a hardwood floor is somehow exponentially worse?? Bizarre.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/ny...me&ref=general

What do you think? I can't think of anything else to say other than it's too stupid for words. I know parenting fads come and go, but I hope this one "goes" sooner rather than later.
Nothing new about it. Many cultures prefer to have their babies go diaper less. In the Philippines, while cloth or disposables are used when away from home, many mothers still allow the babies to go diaper-less at home. They know their children's schedules well enough that there are only occasional accidents. It seems like a serious time and lifestyle commitment but in the big picture, not really a big deal. to me if they want to do it.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I get the no diaper thing, but only when they are old enough to control their bodily functions.

We used traditional diapers with my daughter. We went cold turkey the month she turned 2 year old. (except pull ups at night). We had her naked and sitting frequently on a potty for the first day.(We had stone floors and she had 2 pee pee accidents) She would ask for a pull up to go number 2. The second day we got big girl panties and she was pretty much potty trained going #1 and within the month #2. It was a month of torture, but totally worth it. After a month she was totally independent. I put her on the potty every 20 minutes or so the first day. After that I increased the times to 30,40,50,60 minutes and up to 3 hours between potty visits.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nothing new about it. Many cultures prefer to have their babies go diaper less. In the Philippines, while cloth or disposables are used when away from home, many mothers still allow the babies to go diaper-less at home. They know their children's schedules well enough that there are only occasional accidents. It seems like a serious time and lifestyle commitment but in the big picture, not really a big deal. to me if they want to do it.
I think it's a little different when there is a dirt floor and not much furniture.

I can't imagine the smell of these homes where the diaperless child is peeing and pooping on all the carpets and couches and beds. Gross. You can't get that smell and stain out of things.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
My wife and I are childree and we think this is total nonsense.

Disgusting, abhorrent, unsanitary and filth laden.

If the child is purposely diaper less then may I suggest a child leash be used in conjunction with this
"" trend "" . It completes the look unless you wish to take it further to require the child to have a collar and license tags.
There are parents that put leashes on their toddlers.

The difference to me is that it might take only a week to housetrain a 6 week old puppy and you don't have to be scraping up poop after that. A puppy can be confined to an fenced off area with papers on the floor. It's completely different. There are those who let animals defecate and urinate throughout their house too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting