Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times

Advertisements

My son is nearly 2.5. He doesnt talk much, and it is starting to worry me. His speech seems... just off. He only says a small handful of words, but the ones he does say are usually wrong.

Mickey is said like iiickk yyy
Doggy is Ogg-geh
Apple is aaah pooool
Thank you is ag-goo

He says about 12-15 words total, only about 4 are correctly said.

My best friend's daughter is only 2 months older than my son is, and she's saying full on sentences having conversations with us! Its frustrating. At what point should I consider having him evaluated? Is the typical "rule" at 3? I keep hearing its "normal" for some kids not to talk much at 2 and at 3 it explodes.

He does a very good job of attempting to communicate with us. When he wants something, he will take our hand and lead us to the item. I try to get more out of him, 'what do you need?' 'what can I reach for you?' but it usually involves me having to point at items and guess what he's asking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
My son is nearly 2.5. He doesnt talk much, and it is starting to worry me. His speech seems... just off. He only says a small handful of words, but the ones he does say are usually wrong.

Mickey is said like iiickk yyy
Doggy is Ogg-geh
Apple is aaah pooool
Thank you is ag-goo

He says about 12-15 words total, only about 4 are correctly said.

My best friend's daughter is only 2 months older than my son is, and she's saying full on sentences having conversations with us! Its frustrating. At what point should I consider having him evaluated? Is the typical "rule" at 3? I keep hearing its "normal" for some kids not to talk much at 2 and at 3 it explodes.

He does a very good job of attempting to communicate with us. When he wants something, he will take our hand and lead us to the item. I try to get more out of him, 'what do you need?' 'what can I reach for you?' but it usually involves me having to point at items and guess what he's asking for.
Don't wait. Please put your mind at ease and have him evaluated. Although, it is possible that his speech will improve on it's own, usually when parents think that a child's speech is "off" they are typically correct. Most states have free birth to three year old educational evaluations, Check it out. As with most things discuss it with your pediatrician first.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
I think your instinct is right -- that doesn't seem normal at all. (Here are some guidelines, for reference.)

If it were me, I'd call my pediatrician as soon as I could to discuss the situation and see what she thinks and maybe get an exam. Has your son's hearing been checked recently?

Many states and cities offer a lot of extra services for early intervention up to three years old, so even if you're not sure if there's a problem it's probably worthwhile to get the ball rolling ASAP so that you can access those services just in case he needs them.

Good luck! I hope it turns out really well for you guys.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
I wouldn't wait for the pediatrician, I would call your states early intervention and set up an evaluation now. Kids are only eligible in that program until age 3. The evaluation is great, even if you don't qualify or can't set up services before he turns 3. I think waiting to see the pediatrician will just cause more of a delay. My ped started mentioning it pretty early on and we had our son evaluation around 18 months. Checking his hearing is a great suggestion, but I would get the ball rolling with EI immediately and see what they say.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
He sounds like my son at 2.5 - we're making some improvements but there is still significant delay. I am enrolling him into a preschool (private) with it's own speeth therapist in September. Until then, we work with one-on-one conversation lots and then hope for the best until we start with the therapist! I try and focus on his style of learning (which is more kinesthetique~ sorry, don't know the English word for that), using physical activity to bring out the words (rather than sit him at a desk). and I don't live in the US so I'm not sure what services you have.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My oldest was like that. I discussed it with our pediatrican at her 3 year old checkup, and he suggested that we quit using sippy cups with her. We followed his advice, and within six months we could understand just about everything that she said.

My youngest was talking in sentences when she was eight months old. I used to feel bad for my oldest because I thought she wasn't as smart as her younger sister, but she's actually much better at reading, writing and spelling, she was just slower to talk.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM

I'll look into early intervention! Seems like a good idea to look into

We recently bought an app for autistic/special needs children on our ipad called Injini. Its a bit steep at $30 but its actually been helping a bit - it actually seems to work well for kids his age since its more for delayed older children. On one of the games, you put the puzzle pieces together to make the shape of a letter, it sounds the letter out, then gives you a word with it. He's actually been making the letter sounds, I'd say most of them are right on, but like Q he didnt really come close to. His "cue" sounded more like "coose" for some reason. I'll definitely look into having his hearing checked out, I'll fully admit, we havent been to the pedi in over a year since we delay/selectively vax and he's always been healthy as a horse. He's actually never been sick ever in the 2.5 years, no sniffle or cough, nothing.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
He sounds like he is doing fine. Yes, he has a delay and it is slower than other kids - remember there is a big difference between a speech delay and a serious disorder/issue. Some kids are slow to talk and need more help, whereas for tohers, it is a sign of something serious like the autism spectrum or hearing disorder. If he points, understands, and gets out some neeintelligible words then it means he just needs a bit off help.fc

Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM

He will attempt to say words if we look at pictures in a book, but not always. He usually associates them with other things, like if he sees a wheel, instead of saying wheel, he'll say car. He's quite smart in other areas, can do bigger puzzles for his age and things like that. But, regardless a free eval would be good

Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM

The more i think of it, I dont think its a hearing issue quite so much, I'll ask him to pick up a shirt and put it in his laundry basket and he does it. He does listen very well and we enjoy playing in whisper. When daddy gets home, I'll whisper to him "ooh is that dada?" and he will whisper back "ooooo dada yeah!" So, he can hear on a whisper level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting