Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni1234 View Post
And children take naps till they go to kindergarten. So a preschool program will still give your child a nap.
You speak for ALL children? Not all children take naps until kindergarten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni1234 View Post
In most states it is a law that daycares have to follow with there licencing they hold. Have any of you worked in childcare Im guessing no. Most children need a nap and you are not there dealing with your child and 10 other children that get rowdy its a time in the day where you providers plan for the next day or week getting crafts and other stuff ready they cannot do that well the children are up you need to look at you providers as teachers thats what they are they are not baby sitters. If your 4year old dont take a nap you let your child go to sleep to late and wake up late now the teacher in that class has to keep you kid busy well your child is most likely waking up the ones who are napping and get they lunch over go pee for an example and get supplies ready for the children give your providers credit where credit is due. If you dont know how hard.these teachers work go volunteering for one day you will say thank you after. Point is naps are very necessary.
Yes, it is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 925 times
In some states, by law, children in child care must have a 2 hour nap. Regardless of this, if the providers are caring for the children the full time that they are in care, this may be their only break time. Everyone needs a break, including most children. If he doesn't need the sleep he should be able to rest quietly and read a book or draw a picture quietly while he remains on his mat. There is no excuse for throwing away his bag and I would bring that up with the care provider. However, most children do need a nap during the day, naps are essential for growth as well as physical, emotional and mental well-being. All children benefit from a quiet period every day. The children who do need naps should not have to be disturbed or distracted by the children who aren't sleeping. Perhaps you could consult with them about working something out so that if he is not asleep after the first hour he an get up and do quiet activities until the other children wake up. This would still allow them to have a break and your son to be provided with a quiet restful period.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
There are two separate issues going on here. The nap and the throwing away of the goody bag.

The teacher was very wrong to throw away the goody bag. This must be addressed immediately.

The nap is a law that must be followed in some states. There is no getting around it in a regular daycare like Kindercare or primrose. Maybe an at home daycare will skirt the rules if your child is a non napper. Getting a nanny will take care of the issue too.

You could lobby to change your state's laws, but that's not likely to happen.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
I'd change daycares.

2 hours is too long for a 4 year old who's not sick or fatigued. If my daughter took 2 hour naps when she was 4, it would be impossible for me to get her to bed at a decent time!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 AM

483 posts, read 655,313 times
I worked at a preschool, and even in the oldest classroom we did a 2hr "nap". It was the only time those 22 children(3 teachers) were all still at the same time :P Keep in mind that most of those kids, 17 of them, were in school from about 8:30 to 6. So a quiet down period was really important for them, it helped "reset" them for the afternoon. Most of those kids were up at 7am getting ready to come to school, so by 1:30 I'm sure they were ready for a break too.
We used it to go to lunch, since the ratio is higher, and to prepare the supplies for the next day. It was also a time for us to get together as teachers and talk about any problems(we had some kids w/ behavior issues that required us to make notes on them for their therapy) and just have a break. About half the kids slept, the other half were allowed to "read"(only 2 were readers) so we had special books with pop-ups and stuff in them, for the kids to look at(I belive they are called "Quiet Books" on Pinterest). They could still get up and go potty if they needed too. We did have two kids who we had to keep awake, because if they feel asleep they would wake up screaming. Those kids normally helped sort supplies or would do puzzles.

Even our kids with behavior issues knew that quiet time = respecting our friends who wished to sleep(this is how we would explain it them, they did care how their friends felt). They needed a few reminders but there was rarely an issue with a child not being quiet during those 2 hours.

She should not have thrown away the goody bag though.
Taken it away and put it up? Sure, we did that, but it was always given back at the end of the day when we talked to parents about what had happened. It had to be a pretty serious behavior to get something taken away.

The kids who didn't sleep were put down last and allowed to get up first to use the potty and put their things away, so their time was probably around an hour and half of "nap" Maybe his teachers would be willing to do something like that?

Last edited by kaelti12; 03-06-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
My son got kicked out of one daycare for this issue. I had specifically told them before enrolling him that he didn't nap and they said it was fine, they could accommodate that. Turns out their idea of "accommodation" was requiring my little boy to lay still for 2 hours every day. I couldn't even do that myself, and would not expect a 4 year old to. I believe they were doing this to reduce their costs, and have one teacher cover two classrooms so they could avoid paying for someone extra.

His next center was much, much better. I also discussed it with them ahead of time, and their plan was to have him lay on his mat for 30-45 minutes for a break, and after that, he was allowed to get up and do quiet activities. His teacher even put together a whole box of activities for him that he could go to, or she'd have him help her around the classroom, like changing out the bulletin boards.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:49 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
My kid's daycare class goes up to 6 years old so obviously some of them don't nap but they still have nap time for the entire class where they listen to a story, then calm music then its quiet and those that can't sleep are allowed to get up and play quietly. They are really good about taking into account individual needs, like if I need to pick up my kid mid-nap time they don't even put her down and instead take her to a little room to play with one staff member. and I've seen other kids that wake up go and join in there.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:20 PM

384 posts, read 507,948 times
Just proves all kids are different. My 4 year old (and their older sibling when the same age) will sleep at least 2 hours at nap time at school. Weekends at home in their nice comfy bed the 4 year old will sleep from 1:30 to 4:00 or even later, especially if they went swimming all morning.

We have a rule that they have to wake back up by 5:00pm so we can get them to bed again, but that isn't usually a problem. Kid sleeps from 8:30 or 9:00 at night until 6:00 or 7:00am. This of course depends somewhat on how much the sun is out, etc., but sleep isn't issue at our house. We have friends whose kids don't nap, don't go to bed, etc., and I feel for them. That down time is important to all of us

Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My son never napped so obviously I wouldn't have put him in a daycare that required this. This isn't a problem, it's just not a good fit.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My son never napped so obviously I wouldn't have put him in a daycare that required this. This isn't a problem, it's just not a good fit.
It's a law. Any day care center would require a rest time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting