Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 36,445 times

Advertisements

Where I'm from a lot of people are hardcore Christians. I grew up going to church etc. But now, at 16 I've decided I'm no longer Christian. I've thought about it for a long time, and I'm now an atheist.

However, my parents are still trying to force me to go to church and pray etc. I don't know why they can't just go and let me stay home or go to a friend's house or something. They can't force me to believe, so why force me to go? How do I convince them to just leave me alone?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handel View Post
Where I'm from a lot of people are hardcore Christians. I grew up going to church etc. But now, at 16 I've decided I'm no longer Christian. I've thought about it for a long time, and I'm now an atheist.

However, my parents are still trying to force me to go to church and pray etc. I don't know why they can't just go and let me stay home or go to a friend's house or something. They can't force me to believe, so why force me to go? How do I convince them to just leave me alone?
As long as you are living in their house you have to abide by their rules. Since you are 16 your only option is to be declared an emancipated minor and move out. Then you can do whatever you wish. Until then you're stuck.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Because they believe it's what you do while living in their house, and i doubt you will change their mind my friend.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As long as you are living in their house you have to abide by their rules. Since you are 16 your only option is to be declared an emancipated minor and move out. Then you can do whatever you wish. Until then you're stuck.

20yrsinBranson

"your honor i must be emancipated because my parents make me go to church!"

Old 12-17-2010, 12:17 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:

If I may ask what made you decide you are no longer a Christian and are now an atheist?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:

I guess the whole "honor thy father and thy mother" part got totally lost on you. I suggest you continue going to church. Rather than pretend to embrace the dogma, how about listening to the lessons, and see if you can't learn something from them.

You don't have to be a believer, to recognize and glean useful information from obsolete religious diatribe. Even fairy tales have morals to the story. See if you can puzzle your way through and around the pastor's sermons, and find some little golden nuggets of wisdom.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
How do they make you pray? If you don't believe there IS a God, then how is it possible to pray? Do you mean they make you repeat a bunch of words that you do not believe?

Okay, sarcasm over.

It's amazing to me that kids will come on here and demand that their parents respect their right to do whatever they want, but not respect their parent's wishes.

My aunt used to have a sign hung up in her kitchen that said something like, "Teenagers - are you tired of being asked to help out around the house, being told to clean up after yourself and not be given money whenever you want it? It's time to make a stand against unfair parenting! Move out and support yourself, quickly, while you still know everything!"

Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I guess the whole "honor thy father and thy mother" part got totally lost on you. I suggest you continue going to church. Rather than pretend to embrace the dogma, how about listening to the lessons, and see if you can't learn something from them.

You don't have to be a believer, to recognize and glean useful information from obsolete religious diatribe. Even fairy tales have morals to the story. See if you can puzzle your way through and around the pastor's sermons, and find some little golden nuggets of wisdom.
This is really good advice. There's nothing wrong with questioning religion and your part in it all, but you can always learn something.

I'd like to add that by rejecting your family's faith you're probably breaking their hearts in the process. So while I agree that you have every right to follow your own path, try not to be too blatant about it and humor the old folks a little. You'll save them some pain and will be able to believe what you think is right regardless.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 36,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
If I may ask what made you decide you are no longer a Christian and are now an atheist?
I grew out of just blindly accepting what the bible, my parents, the pastor and others had to say about Christianity and started researching everything on my own.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:46 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Handel, I do feel sorry for you. It's tough when you grow up and come to discover maybe you don't believe the same things as your parents. I had a similar experience at your age.

The trouble is, that while you live in their house, you are obligated to follow their rules. As others have said, you could become emancipated, but that seems like a huge step for such a minor thing. In a year or two, you'll probably be leaving home anyway, right? Either to go to college or else to start working? I would simply go along with them to church and sit there politely. They can't control what's in your head, but you can behave respectfully. We're only talking about 2 years until you're 18.

They have 18 years with you to establish the values they hope to impart, so I think it's their decision not allow you to go to a friend's house or stay home. When you were 6 and asked to have cake for dinner, they said "no" to that too... it's part of parenting and setting boundaries for what is appropriate in the house while you are a minor. At 18, you will get to decide which things you wish to take forward into your life and which things you will leave behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting