Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, that's a good one. The links I posted upthread have other great suggestions. One of the simplest is to place all your belongings (purse, laptop, etc.) next to the child.
That's right, because when you're on auto-pilot, you will go for those things.

Some parents in the articles had stories of near-misses. I remember one woman who said she got out of her car at work and happened to notice a movement--it was her baby's hand in the back seat. She was dumbfounded because she "remembered" dropping her daughter off at daycare that morning.

I have sympathy for these people. They seem like decent people, under stress with too much to do. My daughter's early years were very stressful for me. She didn't sleep through the night until she was 3 years old. I was in a fog all the time because I never had enough sleep. My marriage was disintegrating, which added to the fog, and I had to drive 25 minutes in the morning to drop off my daughter at my parents' house before I began my hour-and-20-minute commute to the city. I was on auto-pilot much of the time. This so could have happened to me, except that there was no parking at the train station so I would bring the baby to my parents' and my dad would drive me to the train. If I'd left the baby in the car and walked into my parents' house without her, I would have been made aware of it very quickly.

It just takes one glitch, one moment of forgetfulness, to change life forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Congratulations, you both win the prize as the best parents evah! You both win a Who knew mompetition had now escalated into a blood-sport. Way to go to be supportive of other moms.

Here's the thing, if either of you had bothered to click on any of the links. Sanctimony is very unbecoming, particularly when used as some sort of one-upmanship against people who have faced unimaginable tragedy.

I did read the links. And I was waiting for a reply like this . Never said I was the best parent ever. All I'm saying is, people need to SLOW DOWN. I'd bet that those parents , if they were given a second chance, would change their lifestyle in a second. It's a horrible thing that happened to each child it happened to.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-08-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I did read the links. And I was waiting for a reply like this . Never said I was the best parent ever. All I'm saying is, people need to SLOW DOWN. I'd bet that those parents , if they were given a second chance, would change their lifestyle in a second. It's a horrible thing that happened to each child it happened to.
How fortunate for you to have not ever had a time in your life where you were overly busy, distracted or tired. Not everyone has that.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
If you did read the links you wouldn't have posted:
Quote:
there was NO way I could forget they were in the car.
Because that's what all the parents said after the fact. The common denominator seems to be a change in routine, which can happen to any of us.

One of the most important life lessons I have learned since becoming a parent is to never say never.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,900 times
Change in routine or no change in routine I don't see how a parent could forget they had a child in the car.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:

When my kids were in car seats, I usually either talked to them on the ride, or played one of the thousand and one "kids" CDs or tapes that make parents crazy... there was NO way I could forget they were in the car.
Did your husband do all of this each and every time he had kids in the car? If he wasn't usually the one with kids in the car he might not -especialy if he was running an errand or going somewhere he typically went but without the kids. It is that change in routine that people are talking about. Even if the parent wasn't "trying to do too much". They were outside their typical routine.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Change in routine or no change in routine I don't see how a parent could forget they had a child in the car.
Neither did they, until it happened to them.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did your husband do all of this each and every time he had kids in the car? If he wasn't usually the one with kids in the car he might not -especialy if he was running an errand or going somewhere he typically went but without the kids. It is that change in routine that people are talking about. Even if the parent wasn't "trying to do too much". They were outside their typical routine.
Once again, in her story, it is very clear that part of why Lyn Balfour forgot her son was that they usually DID do exactly those things. Did some of you miss that part of the article? But he had a sore throat, and was up half the night,as was she, and he was sleeping in the car seat and not making any noise. If he was his usual self, she likely would have been talking/singing with him.

She couldn't see him, because she wasn't in her usual car where he was behind the passenger seat and she would see him. She didn't take her normal route to work because she had to give her husband a ride. The lawyer called it "the perfect storm". Easy--and comforting in a self-delusional way--to say something could NEVER happen to YOU...until it does.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Once again, in her story, it is very clear that part of why Lyn Balfour forgot her son was that they usually DID do exactly those things. Did some of you miss that part of the article? But he had a sore throat, and was up half the night,as was she, and he was sleeping in the car seat and not making any noise. If he was his usual self, she likely would have been talking/singing with him.

She couldn't see him, because she wasn't in her usual car where he was behind the passenger seat and she would see him. She didn't take her normal route to work because she had to give her husband a ride. The lawyer called it "the perfect storm". Easy--and comforting--to say something could NEVER happen to YOU...until it does.

I agree with you....I was just trying to point out to the poster who seemed quite self satisfied that it could NEVER happen to her, that it COULD happen to anyone...it isn't necessarily a result of "lifestyle choices" and needing to slow down and keep your kids in the forefront of your mind 100% of the time. Stuff happens that takes us out of our routine, or necessitates us being tired or distracted occasionally. I have yet to meet a parent who has never been distracted or forgetful or occasionally on autopilot. Thankfully for most of us our blunders aren't tragic. That doesn't make us better parents, mainly luckier.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-07-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So right. My heart just breaks for all involved, including the parents, when I read about someone ACCIDENTLY leaving a child in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting