Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Diaper use in your home...
Disposable diapers (Pampers, Huggies, bargain brand/no-name) 46 63.89%
Cloth diapers, pins, rubber pants 5 6.94%
Modern cloth diapers 7 9.72%
Combination diapering; both cloth and disposable diapers 14 19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:04 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beankeeper View Post
Yep, just like a newborn goes through more cloth diapers each day... which means more water, more electricity, more detergent...
Not at all. I did laundry the same amount of times a week as a newborn as he does now. I wash all of them on large size, so no difference in cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You can pay Amazon's discount price, too. Not sure why anyone would pay retail for diapers...
Everyone I know that uses disposables buys them at the store, not online.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM

75 posts, read 77,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Not at all. I did laundry the same amount of times a week as a newborn as he does now. I wash all of them on large size, so no difference in cost.
That makes no sense. Either a newborn needs more diaper changes in a day or she doesn't. More changes = needing to wash the stash more frequently.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM

75 posts, read 77,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Everyone I know that uses disposables buys them at the store, not online.
And there are plenty of people who pay more than $15-$20 for one cloth diaper. There's ample opportunity to spend frivolously with cloth, too.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense. Either a newborn needs more diaper changes in a day or she doesn't. More changes = needing to wash the stash more frequently.
No it doesnt. If you read earlier, my mother bought me over 30 diapers (i had also got about 10 diapers from a friend who cloth diapered but was done having children, so i had just over 40 diapers, more than enough for 3.5 days). That was more than enough to get me through my normal 2 washings a week.

Moderator Cut I gave a comparison of what MY cost savings would have been if i had bought retail.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-09-2013 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Argumentative

Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Well we've been using our Kawaiis since he was ~2-3 months old and he's just over 2.5 now, they're just fine. I've not had any broken snaps and i have 1 single diaper that has slightly stretched elastic that i noticed the other day actually.

Edit to add: the kawaiis finally fit him at exactly 3 months old (he was a preemie), I just checked back through my photos and he's wearing those same kawaiis at over 2.5 years.. All but the 1 will be saved for a future child.

On that note, Moderator Cut. Have fun.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and reply to it.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
We cloth diapered almost exclusively for our first two children and about 3/4 for the third. We bought MotherEase diapers from Canada. Going back aways because my oldest is 11, but I believe I spent about $250 out of pocket initially. We did a couple extra loads of laundry per week. She went to a Mothers Morning Out program at age 1 (twice per week) and she had to wear disposables there. Or if my mom or someone watched her, I'd put her in disposables. She trained at 2 1/2 years and nighttime at 3 years 2 months. We never needed to buy new diapers. I'd say she wore cloth 95% of the time.

For my second child, we used the same diapers. She was much bigger than my first child and trained a little later (age 3), so I had to buy additional diapers in a larger size. I think I spent an additional $100 or so. She also did Mothers Morning Out, so she wore cloth about 95% of the time, too.

When she was done, I sold my good diapers and covers for about $50 because I thought I was done having children.

Then along came my very wanted surprise child (who I believe was actually born because I sold my diapers. Doesn't it always happen that way? ). Found someone on Craigslist who was selling like new Motherease Diapers - a huge stash for $100. He wore them about the same as the other two children (95% of the time) until age 3 when he was daytime trained. By then he had outgrown our diapers, so I sold whatever was still good, and put him in disposables at night because I thought it would be for a very short time. It turned out he didn't night train until age 6, so he was in them a lot longer than expected. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought larger cloth sizes but not sure they even would have fit between ages 4 and 6!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
This thread is a simple Poll on the type of diapers parents use/d on their babies. Discussions about sanitation, exact savings/costs and male fertility really are too off-topic. To avoid such derails, just K.I.S.S. (keep it short and simple) your posts and answer the OP's poll. Much appreciated.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
When I was at home with the kids, I used cloth. Thirsties, bumGenius, Blueberry pockets mostly. A few fitteds with covers. I am completely uninterested in prefolds, flats, and pinning.

When working full time, I used (and still used) disposables.

It is true that cloth can add up if you have an elaborate wash routine and use $25 pockets.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times

A modern cloth diaper, for those unfamiliar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting