Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,691,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Some confusion here on the insurance aspect

Liability insurance follows the vehicle.

The vehicle is registered and insured under a corporate policy - the liability from that vehicles use will go to that commercial policy regardless of who is driving it.

Driver lists are an important control and driver criteria are an important tool for companies to control their risk and to communicate that risk to insurance companies. However, an insurance company does not schedule on specific drivers to the policy. They simply address the vehicles. Then if they want they will exclude specific drivers (which may or may not be enforceable).

What can help is if you have an employee who is excluded from driving by the corporate policy who is involved in a wreck with the company vehicle the commercial policy may be able to subrogate or pass some risk down or at a minimum they could have grounds to fire the employee, supervisor, etc

Just because she would be covered by the commercial fleet policy for use of a commercial vehicle doesn't mean that she would be covered for all vehicles ...... her coverage comes by that specific vehicle

There are endorsements that allow some expanded coverage for employees either on company business or in general but typically will be limited and you would be hard pressed to have an insurance company add that individual for this coverage under these circumstances ..... even if they did it wouldn't suit all the purposes needed

If you own a car, you will need to check with individual personal policy about the requirements for dependent drivers living in your home. If she is going to use your vehicle at all you'll probably need to have her added one way or another.

The rest is a lot of parenting concerns with a wide range of opinions - trickier in a divorce situation, if you both saw eye to eye on most issues you probably would have a different situation. I do think this is a conversation for the adults and that commentary to the daughter needs to stop.

However, she is also getting to the age where you both could have discussions about expenses, income, etc in a broad context. If she's working this is a great time to start learning how to support yourself and support your job.

Thank you for your excellent assessment of the insurance situation.

Daughter needs to be insured in order to drive my car. Her ability to drive a car (my car) is convenient for me. By working part time I will be more available to give her rides and/or share my car with her.

I was not expected to title or insure the car her father gave her. She is employed by his company at his NC office, so although the car he gave her is registered in NY, she is covered to drive it and any other company owned car. (this includes the two cars he has here in NC for his personal use)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
He got your daughter a gift, that at 16 and a soon to be adult, she's going to need (like it or not). Yes, he should had talked to you first, but at least his heart was in the right place. He didn't do it just to p*ss you off. A lot of other women who deal with father's who wouldn't give a dime let alone a car would appreciate the gesture. Why don't you all stop being so stubborn and pig headed about it... It's really not that serious of an issue. I think you both would rather have a pissing contest than to sit down like grown adults and solve this elementary issue. It's both the mother and father's child. Just because the mother has the power of having custody, doesn't mean that she should cut the father out and vise versa. Unlike what everyone else says, it is the mother's problem because it's her child that's living in her house....

Op, I think you should stop being confrontational about it. Try to make the best out of the situation. First have a respectful, nonconfrontational, nonjudgmental, and/or condescending conversation with the father. Express that you feel that he should have talked to you first and ask that he does so for now on. They try to come to so type of understanding...

This is how I personally would solve the problem while teaching my daughter and soon to be adult in less than 2 years some responsibility. You want her or him to pay it and he wants you to pay it... So compromise. How about she pays 50% of it, and you both split 25%? I'm sure both you and your ex can afford $25 a month. Or, if the insurance is $100 a month, that's $1,200 a year, your daughter should be able to raise that working a summer job ever year if she wants to drive the car. Or, she could work a weekend job... etc.. Listening to most of the advice given on this thread will only stress both you, your ex, and your daughter out even more and will just cause more conflict. Less fighting and bickering and more co-parenting, respect, and setting an example for your daughter. I say if the 16 year old wants to drive the car, then she should bare some or most of the responsibility of the cost to drive her car... I believe that their are ways that she could do that without interfering with school. She could not only get experience on becoming a responsible driver, but also get a lesson on working hard for what she wants.
Thank you for eventually getting to a concrete suggestion. I like the idea of asking her to pay %50 even if he refuses to chip in on the insurance. Maintenance is a different question...I just put $60 into it and the mechanic predicted front breaks and rear differential in the next 1000 miles......

BTW, I don't think I was being confrontational about this. I presented some facts in the hope that I would get some examples of how other families have handled this.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
If the car is company owned why would you be reponsible for maintenance costs like brakes etc? Just like insurance, if the car is titled to the company, I'd think that there would be a budget for maintaining company cars...

Paying for her own gas is reasonable. Both my kids were expected to do that in high school.

As far as I can tell, the only other thing you'd be responsible for (presumably) is the cost to insure her under your policy for occasionally driving your car. Were you not planning on doing that at all? I'd think that would be a pretty big risk to not have a teen who is of driving age, not on your insurance policy - even if you don't expect her to drive. If she is working, I see no problem with figuring out a portion of the additional insurance costs for her to be responsible for.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-15-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Okay, for the record, the daughter is not a "prima donna", she doesn't have a 'hiney' that needs to be bossed around, and my goal here is not to deny her access to the car.

She's an honor roll student, a responsible person who makes good choices, and she has a plan for her future that involves lots of extra curriculars that include a job and volunteer service. When she asks to spend time with her friends (whom I approve of) I'm happy to allow her to do so, and since they are spread out...that sometimes means driving 10 miles from home on a saturday night. Public transport can bring her home from school but it isn't a good enough system to cover her other activities.

This is not a situation where I need to draw a line in the sand. I'm hoping to come up with something that will work for all of us.

Unfortunately, this car is not what I call a Gift when it has so many strings attached. This is not our first rodeo, and daughter is well aware of how her dad views money and the things it can buy. It gets tougher for her when this involves something she really wants! She didn't particularly want this car. She just wanted A car.

I believe this is a resolvable situation, but the more sensible options I can provide for him, the more likely he is to settle on one that I can live with.

So if anyone has more concrete examples of how other families have handled the expenses of teen drivers, I'd still like to hear them.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM

8,080 posts, read 10,097,510 times
OP...thanks for the clarification. Yes, some (many?) of us do, unfortunately, approach the situation through jaded eyes. You are VERY lucky to have a sensible adult relationship with your ex.

I like the idea of the split: 50/25/25.

I also like the idea of selling/trading the gas guzzler and investing it in something more economical. Ford makes some nice cars in the 'economy' range which are reasonably safe, affordable, and efficient to operate.

Good luck. My apologies for assessing you through my less-than-rose colored glasses.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Thank you for your excellent assessment of the insurance situation.

Daughter needs to be insured in order to drive my car. Her ability to drive a car (my car) is convenient for me. By working part time I will be more available to give her rides and/or share my car with her.

I was not expected to title or insure the car her father gave her. She is employed by his company at his NC office, so although the car he gave her is registered in NY, she is covered to drive it and any other company owned car. (this includes the two cars he has here in NC for his personal use)
Sooo.... She's covered for that car, but you want her to drive YOUR CAR... because it will make YOUR life easier , which if you don't put her on your insurance YOUR BREAKING THE LAW. Whether or not you and your husband agree on how the insurance breaks down...

Somehow this doesn't follow.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
This is not a situation where I need to draw a line in the sand. I'm hoping to come up with something that will work for all of us.

Unfortunately, this car is not what I call a Gift when it has so many strings attached. This is not our first rodeo, and daughter is well aware of how her dad views money and the things it can buy. It gets tougher for her when this involves something she really wants! She didn't particularly want this car. She just wanted A car.

I believe this is a resolvable situation, but the more sensible options I can provide for him, the more likely he is to settle on one that I can live with.

So if anyone has more concrete examples of how other families have handled the expenses of teen drivers, I'd still like to hear them.
Every family is different. My parents paid for everything---the cars, insurance, gas, repairs, etc. My son's Godmother required her children to pay for everything. They had to save money to buy their cars, pay for all of their car insurance, repairs, and gasoline. You can do either or you can figure out something in between.

If you want to sell the car and buy something more practical, I suggest you approach him with the suggestion HE sell the car and buy something more practical. He would feel more comfortable since you wouldn't be getting the extra cash from the sale if you buy a cheaper car. Approaching him in a way that he can be in control will help him be less defensive about selling the car.

My prima donna comment was only in relation to her refusal to ride the public bus. In my world, that's prima donna mentality. I wasn't implying she was a prima donna overall.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,451,972 times
LS, I think everyone has said this already, but...in NC she will have to be on your insurance if she is a licensed driver, car or no car. And you can't add this car to your insurance because it isn't yours. I don't think you have the issue you might have thought.

Our kids pay for their own gas. If they do anything to cause their insurance to go up, they pay the difference. (FWIW)

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,398,426 times
Your ex sounds like he's playing fast and loose with the insurance and could get in trouble with his company (or get your daughter in trouble if she has an accident). He sure sounds like a manipulative douchenozzle to boot.

Tell her she can pay for her own car expenses and she'd better figure out the bus system. That's just silly that she won't use it.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Your ex sounds like he's playing fast and loose with the insurance and could get in trouble with his company (or get your daughter in trouble if she has an accident). He sure sounds like a manipulative douchenozzle to boot.
It's really not that uncommon.

One of the things you look at on commercial fleet are the vehicle types - personal use type vehicles will draw a little more attention ..... an insurance company should ask those questions and then either charge more of not write the account .... good practice isn't always common though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting