Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times

Advertisements

I think he's doing the ask for a pony business, knowing that judges will usually halve what he asks for. For now, how will the 12 hours/week be done? As a Sunday? As two hours six times a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Generally states have mandates in place on how they handle distance in custody cases. From Moving with a Child During or After Divorce in New Jersey - Relocation Rules | divorcenet.com NJ has a process in place to handle it.

[b]

The few custody agreements I'm privy to knowing the details of (in NJ & NY), the agreements do have a move away clause. They vary in distance from 50-100 miles.
Thanks for the links, I am sure Jersey will find them helpful. I am from NJ as well, btw. That is one of the reason I suggested she start the school career selection process now, so it predates the move away clause. I know a parent who have been able to move due to being granted a fellowship at a grad program.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I know a parent who have been able to move due to being granted a fellowship at a grad program.
That's different because you can't get a fellowship just anywhere. If there is a university nearby with a degree in the specialty of education she wishes to pursue, Jersey's daughter may have to prove she couldn't get accepted there or the financial aid was better elsewhere. She probably won't have a problem, but I'm just saying it's not a slam dunk.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:30 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's different because you can't get a fellowship just anywhere. If there is a university nearby with a degree in the specialty of education she wishes to pursue, Jersey's daughter may have to prove she couldn't get accepted there or the financial aid was better elsewhere. She probably won't have a problem, but I'm just saying it's not a slam dunk.
Nothing ever is. I'm a firm believer in expecting the worst but hoping for decent.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Nothing ever is. I'm a firm believer in expecting the worst but hoping for decent.
Me too. I'm rarely disappointed that way.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links, I am sure Jersey will find them helpful. I am from NJ as well, btw. That is one of the reason I suggested she start the school career selection process now, so it predates the move away clause. I know a parent who have been able to move due to being granted a fellowship at a grad program.
According to what's posted from the link, based on the fact the baby was born in the state Jerseys daughter will still need to petition the court should she want to move out of state or move a distance within the state that would interfere with the father's custody/visitation order.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
According to what's posted from the link, based on the fact the baby was born in the state Jerseys daughter will still need to petition the court should she want to move out of state or move a distance within the state that would interfere with the father's custody/visitation order.
True but petitioning the court when you have already expressed the need to go to graduate school out of state is vastly different than agreeing to a stipulation that you cannot move more than 20 miles away. She just needs to get it on the court records as a probability in the future and it will be meet with more favor when the time comes to actually move.

They live in Warren county, there are no public universities in the entire county. The flagship school is fifty miles away. Mentioning now the need to continue her education down the road so she can support the child is reasonable but not possible if she agreed to a 20 mi stipulation.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That is why she needs to start the process now. Rutgers is the major public university. It is cheapest and has the most aid to give. It is probably 50 miles or more away. If she plants the seed now when they are in mediation that this is how she is going to support the child, than in two or three years when she is ready to finish her degree (there is no public uni in their county) she is going to have an easier time petitioning the court as she has proven this is no plan to remove the father from the child's life but rather necessary for the support of the child.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
In this economy how can anybody demand someone not move more than 20 miles away. Jobs can be scarce and our society is mobile because of the need to relocate for employment. if he insists on that asinine stipulation she should agree only if he is willing to pay 100% support for the child and she gets full custody because she may not be able to get a decent job.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
They live in Warren county, there are no public universities in the entire county. The flagship school is fifty miles away. Mentioning now the need to continue her education down the road so she can support the child is reasonable but not possible if she agreed to a 20 mi stipulation.
I'm not responding to this to refute the importance of her not locking herself into a 20 mile stipulation. She definitely needs to protect herself from that. But I can't imagine Jersey's daughter moving away to live on or near a campus. How will she afford that? She can't live in the dorms. She can't cram her child into an apartment with 3 or 4 other students like many students do to save money. Unless Jersey moves near a university, I don't see how her daughter can do anything but commute to her classes, like some students who attend outlying universities 50 miles away from where they live in my region. There are many scholarships for single parents though, and maybe the extra money can cover the extra housing costs she'll have compared to traditional students' costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting