Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

very interesting article which mentions some good resources about boys and their feelings and why we should not discourage boys from expressing all their feelings and even letting them...gasp...cry.

All this needs to start very early but any conversation with your boy about the importance of not keeping it all bottled up inside is a good step.

I grew up with a father who had no trouble expressing anger but that was the only emotion he ever showed and I was determined to do just the opposite with my own children. I'm especially proud of the closeness my 30 year old son and I share.

What are you teaching your sons about feelings?

Why it’s good to let boys cry - On Parenting - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:57 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
That is you are sad, if your heart hurts, than its ok to cry

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I teach our sons that it is good to express your feelings. This doesn't always mean crying, but it's ok to show vulnerability or uncertainty. I think too many boys are taught to keep a stiff upper lip. I never understood why the males of our species were EVER taught to "hold it all in".

Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I think it is perfectly fine for boys to cry but I disagree with the scenario in the article completely.

I do not care if you are a boy or a girl, crying in the middle of a game is just poor sportsmanship. The same way yelling, cursing, etc. would be. Expressing your sadness in other ways or cry if you need to when it is over but I have told my daughter the same thing, crying during the game can ruin team morale. Everyone, male of female, has a responsibility to the team to keep their head in the game, especially by the time they are teenagers.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:46 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Like IKB, I have no problem with boys crying over something deserving of tears. A strikeout during a baseball game is not one of those times. Team sports depend on the resiliency of the players. If they fall apart over a play gone wrong, they are focusing on themselves, not the team.

I had one very competitive baseball player in my house. He wouldn't cry, he would get angry. I had to tell him at a very young age I wouldn't let him play any more unless he could handle his emotions better.

We never discouraged tears in this house though. Even DH has been known to tear up at times.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Um. Crying (boy or girl) is for some deep hurt or death or something like that.

Not for a sporting event. As an ex-athlete, I can say that there are times of great disappointment, foul-ups, humiliation, embarrassment...but the character building opportunity there is to buck up and stand strong despite this.

Now if you dog dies, please...cry all day.

I think we should encourage appropriate crying.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We never discouraged tears in this house though. Even DH has been known to tear up at times.
Good post and I agree.

And I think it takes a heck of a secure man to show his emotions.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I grew up with in old school Southern home where I got yelled at for being too sensitive. With that turned into me keeping it in until a breaking point where I acted up and cried which was often at school which caused more trouble more me.

Of course, there were no restrictions on real sad events. For instance both grandparents on mom's side died during my HS years in 9th and 11th grades. And my dad moved away and let me down on a few occasions where he said he was coming to see me.

I think if we allow boys to express their emotions a little more, it won't manifest in some other negative way later.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Like IKB, I have no problem with boys crying over something deserving of tears. A strikeout during a baseball game is not one of those times. Team sports depend on the resiliency of the players. If they fall apart over a play gone wrong, they are focusing on themselves, not the team.

I had one very competitive baseball player in my house. He wouldn't cry, he would get angry. I had to tell him at a very young age I wouldn't let him play any more unless he could handle his emotions better.

Yes this.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think it is perfectly fine for boys to cry but I disagree with the scenario in the article completely.

I do not care if you are a boy or a girl, crying in the middle of a game is just poor sportsmanship. The same way yelling, cursing, etc. would be. Expressing your sadness in other ways or cry if you need to when it is over but I have told my daughter the same thing, crying during the game can ruin team morale. Everyone, male of female, has a responsibility to the team to keep their head in the game, especially by the time they are teenagers.
I agree, there is the time and place for crying, for both genders.

I've known some college aged males to cry in the workplace, over totally non cry-worthy scenarios...not a good way to make a good impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting