Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:51 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times

Advertisements

I understand that parents want to enjoy a restaurant with their children. But I too want to enjoy a meal. When the table next to me has children playing and even climbing over the seats interfering with my meal it is wrong. When a family is like that it is the time to consider mc'donalds as their primary dining choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
My children (4, 6, 7) are perfectly well behaved at dinnertime at home and know they are expected to use their manners.

Somehow this behavior is very difficult from them to replicate in public.

Every once in a while I give them another chance, and we go out to eat at a restaurant (not the fancy ones). And usually, after the meal I ban them from eating out with us again for another 3-6 months. Sometimes, they demonstrate that they CAN sit still and eat and converse with us, so they get another shot a few weeks later.

I can't predict from one time to another whether I will get the angel kids or the hellions.

I support restaurants that want to ban children. I support restaurants that allow everyone.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,905 times
It's not fair to ban a certain age group from a public service. How do you think people would feel if no one over 80 could be at a restaurant?

Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
It's not fair to ban a certain age group from a public service. How do you think people would feel if no one over 80 could be at a restaurant?
Like banning children from bars? Rated R movies? Heck, even the Disney cruise ship have adult-only areas. And you may as well get used to it. More and more people are choosing to not have children and they have money to spend. Most would prefer a quiet atmosphere to enjoy a nice meal. This is the wave of the future.

And "fairness" has nothing to do with running a business. They are a private entity and have the right to refuse service to anyone.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
I agree with this. Some kids do have more of a propensity to be raucous than others. That's just personality. However, being disruptive, running around, screaming, throwing food - this stuff is just a function of no real home training from parents or parents who haven't figured out what to do to get their kids to behave or parents who have poor judgment and bring the kid to a place when the kid is sleepy or parents who think their kids are made of gold and can do no wrong or parents who are just too busy doing whatever they are doing to parent. So they impose their kids upon the world and then everyone else has to have their experience infringed upon by someone else's kid bc that person hasn't taken the proper responsibility that parenting calls for. And, no, I do not have a perfect child. If DS starts being superdisruptive in a restaurant (it has never happened), however, if it did, I'd simply ask the waiter/waitress to box up our food and quietly tip toe out apologizing to any patrons that may be looking my way for disrupting their meal. End of story. I'd basically take responsibility for my kid.

When I was single with no kids there was nothing worse than sitting on an airplane with a screaming baby and a clueless mother. Good grief. Or the kids that sit behind you kicking and bumping the back of your seat while mom sits there and does nothing bc she is either oblivious, thinks her kids can do no wrong, cannot be bothered to discipline them or whatever. The problem with me is I have a big mouth and do not mind turning around and telling someone else's kid to stop kicking the chair...while mom is sitting right there. I have a bit of a problem of addressing other people's childrn when it affects me and mom won't do anything....

And then I'd get people looking at me with my dog under the seat. My dog traveled on more than 20 flights and barked all of two times total. And no one knew that people traveling with pets onboard had paid for a REGULAR SEAT ...that we just never got bc our passenger was an animal. Of my soapbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The kids didn't cause this problem, it is the parents. Every day I see people who come into my work and think it is ok to simply let their kids run loose and tear up the place without saying a word.

When my two were that age I wouldn't have put up with it for one second. Bad kids are not born, they are made that way by inattentive, overly permissive parents.

Don

Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
There's a very nice restaurant here that only serves 18 and above. Great date place. There's nothing wrong with wanting an adults-only atmosphere, and I don't mean for risque reasons.

And I am speaking as a mother who had four kids in six years. Though my kids were nearly always very well behaved in public, they were just by their very nature, childish...they could be loud suddenly, or spill something, or they might bite their tongue or get choked and then start crying. Little kids just do little kid stuff, even the most well behaved ones, and parents are often so used to the ongoing clamor and barely contained chaos of little kids that they are truly desensitized to just how disturbing their little darlings can be to others.

And don't even get me started on kids in a movie theater - yes, including little toddlers in R rated movies. Sheeze, people. If you can't afford a baby sitter, you don't need to be spending $50 on a movie and refreshments.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Like banning children from bars? Rated R movies? Heck, even the Disney cruise ship have adult-only areas. And you may as well get used to it. More and more people are choosing to not have children and they have money to spend. Most would prefer a quiet atmosphere to enjoy a nice meal. This is the wave of the future.

And "fairness" has nothing to do with running a business. They are a private entity and have the right to refuse service to anyone.
Why do people ban children? No, I don't want children seeing rated R movies or children being in bars, but I do think if Disney cruise ships can ban children from certain areas, they should have zones that restrict other age groups.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Why do people ban children? No, I don't want children seeing rated R movies or children being in bars, but I do think if Disney cruise ships can ban children from certain areas, they should have zones that restrict other age groups.
Why?

Kids are legally banned from doing all sorts of things - smoking, drinking, driving, riding certain rides, staying home alone, marrying, getting a tattoo or piercing. Kids are not in charge of their own lives and they are under the authority of adults. This is because they aren't fully responsible for their own actions. They're IMMATURE and childish. They don't have the reasoning abilities of adults and they don't have the rights of adults either.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why?

Kids are legally banned from doing all sorts of things - smoking, drinking, driving, riding certain rides, staying home alone, marrying, getting a tattoo or piercing. Kids are not in charge of their own lives and they are under the authority of adults. This is because they aren't fully responsible for their own actions. They're IMMATURE and childish. They don't have the reasoning abilities of adults and they don't have the rights of adults either.
WHY!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?

I'll tell you why!!!

It's unfair for kids to be discriminated against due to their age. I don't want kids smoking, drinking, driving, or marrying, but still. What areas are kids banned from on Disney cruise ships? I'd say kids have about 85 % of the rights adults have. And I don't think of "adult" as starting at 18, I think of it starting either earlier or later. I mean, why 18? You have 80 years to choose from!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
WHY!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?

I'll tell you why!!!

It's unfair for kids to be discriminated against due to their age. I don't want kids smoking, drinking, driving, or marrying, but still. What areas are kids banned from on Disney cruise ships? I'd say kids have about 85 % of the rights adults have. And I don't think of "adult" as starting at 18, I think of it starting either earlier or later. I mean, why 18? You have 80 years to choose from!
There is an adults only restaurant, adults only pool, and of course the bars. life is not fair. I'm sure your parents have said that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting