Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,188 times

Advertisements

Hi all parents who's reading this, thank you first of all! I would really like to get some suggestions on what I should do in my situation.

We moved to this new neighborhood a couple of months ago and immediately my son made friends with our neighbor's boy, who are about similar age, 7 years old. They get along well most of the times and play together every day both at school and at either home. With time going on, we found there are some issues with the neighbor's boy. He has the habit of lying about all kinds of things, stealing toys/chocolate/snacks while in our house (even if we give him want he asks for already), can't control his anger for trivial things, and even more, accusing my son of wrong things that he had done to see my son get punished instead. In cases like these, my son would be in tears ans ask us: "Mom/Dad, why does he say/do that?" But afterwards, he still wants to play with him, because he does not have other friends now.

Now as parents, we don't know what to do. The boy's parents seem to be very nice and friendly people, but may not have noticed or realized the severity of his problems (we guess). It is definitely not our place to talk about their child, but we don't want our boy to be frustrated and upset, or impacted by his friend's behavior. We don't want to close our doors for our neighbor either. What would you do in this case?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

Last edited by PinkWhiteBlue; 10-07-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkWhiteBlue View Post
Hi all parents who's reading this, thank you first of all! I would really like to get some suggestions on what I should do in my situation.

We moved to this new neighborhood a couple of months ago and immediately my son made friends with our neighbor's boy, who are about similar age, 7 years old. They get along well most of the times and play together every day both at school and at either home. With time going on, we found there are some issues with the neighbor's boy. He has the habit of lying about all kinds of things, stealing toys/chocolate/snacks while in our house (even if we give him want he asks for already), can't control his anger for trivial things, and even more, accusing my son of wrong things that he had done to see my son get punished instead. In cases like these, my son would be in tears ans ask us: "Mom/Dad, why does he say/do that?" But afterwards, he still wants to play with him, because he does not have other friends now.

Now as parents, we don't know what to do. The boy's parents seem to be very nice and friendly people, but may not have noticed or realized the severity of his problems (we guess). It is definitely not our place to talk about their child, but we don't want our boy to be frustrated and upset, or impacted by his friend's behavior. We don't want to close our doors for our neighbor either. What would you do in this case?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

A situation like this is best handled with sensitivity and diplomacy. And good for you for being willing to help and not "close your doors to your neighbors".

The boy clearly has some kind of issue. It is unlikely the parents are completely unaware of this, however, they will most likely be defensive if you bring it up to them before they get to know you well.

What worked for us in a similar situation was to treat the neighbor child with kindness, while gently reprimanding him and giving him consequences for misbehavior in our home.

In other words, we frequently praised him and let him know we liked him, that he was really welcome in our home.

Then when he did something wrong or inappropriate we acted swiftly, but calmly, to let him know that was not okay. Without raising our voices or sounding mean we simply stated "that behavior is not allowed in our home, so playtime is over for today. You can come back again tomorrow to try again."

The key is consistency and firmness with your expectations of behavior and the consequences when your expectations are not met.

Over time the boy's behavior did improve in our home.

When I did finally talk to the other mother I tried not to put her on the defensive by speaking as kindly as I could. I tried to show empathy for her situation which allowed her to let down her defenses and share with me what exactly the issues were. I remember her being very relieved that I was not judging her or trying to tell her what she had to do. By letting her know we really liked her boy she was better able to hear me when I explained why I would sometimes send him home or not allow him to play with my son.

I believe the way we handled the boy really helped him in the long run.

I wish you the best in getting similar results!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,188 times
lovesMountains, thanks so much for your reply! We'll try to do the same as you suggested to see if it works.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't think anybody can top the suggestion LovesMountains has made OP. It is perfect.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I would also suggest you put your son in community activities so that he can get more exposure to other kids and not be limited in the friends department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting