Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
No doubt its the same parents who selfishly insist on exposing their kid's virus to the rest of us are the same people who themselves go to work when they're sick and expose their coworkers.

Selfish is as selfish does.
Not everyone has the luxury of a workplace that allows 3 weeks off anytime they get a sniffle. It takes the body at least 3 weeks to build up immunity. Where i work, employees would be let go if they took off until they had absolutely no virus left, and FMLA doesn't cover the common cold.

Schools are not going to allow 3 weeks of absence just for a cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
I was out to lunch with some Mom friends and one of them said outright that when one of their kids have a fever they give them Tylenol, drop them off at school or daycare and just wait for the call 4 hours later. She went on to say that she sees nothing wrong with it because, after all, one of those other kids gave the illness to her children so there's nothing wrong with giving it right back. They walk among us.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of a workplace that allows 3 weeks off anytime they get a sniffle. It takes the body at least 3 weeks to build up immunity. Where i work, employees would be let go if they took off until they had absolutely no virus left, and FMLA doesn't cover the common cold.

And no one is suggesting that!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. We are talking about sending a kid to school who has a fever, or is vomiting, stuff like that. Kids can have cold symptoms for months sometimes.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:40 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
My kid has a runny nose right now. She went to school today and will go unless she has a fever or is feeling so bad that she can't function. But a runny nose? As long as they have tissue available at school, she goes. I certainly can't call off at work over a runny nose, well I could, but I wouldn't be working long.

Some illnesses, like minor colds and sniffles, are part of living in the world with other people. If someone is seriously sick, with flu like symptoms, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, contagious rash, etc. obviously, and it should be basic common sense and courtesy, stay home. I had one co-worker who came to work with the flu, then acted like she should be admired and praised for coming in sick. And no kid wants to be at school or anywhere else feeling that miserable. I see that as selfishness on the parent's part, wanting to get their kid out the house and out of their own face for awhile. Stay home and nurse your child back to health! And when they are feeling better, but still recovering, at least be courteous enough to let people know, "Joey is getting over the flu" or whatever.

But minor colds and sniffles, I think people just have to live with it. Teach kids to wash their hands, cover their mouths properly when they cough or sneeze, and blow their nose, and life goes on.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
I'd really object to truly ill kids -- like those with TB or smallpox being around my kids. But all the common stuff, if you don't catch it now, you'll just have to catch it later.
I remember one time I was in line behind this lady at Target. The cashier commented to the lady about her son not being in school on a school day. The woman replied back that the kid wasn't allowed to go to school because he had the whooping cough. I picked up my stuff and moved to another lane. There is no way I was willingly touching anything that woman or her son touched. I couldn't believe that someone would bring their child out to the store when they had a highly contagious disease. If your kid isn't allowed to go to school, that doesn't mean you take them on errands to buy some makeup and cleaning supplies. I just don't understand what some people are thinking.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I remember one time I was in line behind this lady at Target. The cashier commented to the lady about her son not being in school on a school day. The woman replied back that the kid wasn't allowed to go to school because he had the whooping cough. I picked up my stuff and moved to another lane. There is no way I was willingly touching anything that woman or her son touched. I couldn't believe that someone would bring their child out to the store when they had a highly contagious disease. If your kid isn't allowed to go to school, that doesn't mean you take them on errands to buy some makeup and cleaning supplies. I just don't understand what some people are thinking.

whooping cough is a horrible, horrible illness, even for adults. The accounts I've read of people who had it are absolutely horrifying. I would be FREAKING if I heard that in a store. Gah.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Wow I would be incredibly angry! If someone was in that shop with their newborn that could end very very badly. And even for adults its nasty, my dad got whooping cough and was ill for months.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

whooping cough is a horrible, horrible illness, even for adults. The accounts I've read of people who had it are absolutely horrifying. I would be FREAKING if I heard that in a store. Gah.
Whooping cough wouldn't bother me because my family has been vaccinated for it.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Wow I would be incredibly angry! If someone was in that shop with their newborn that could end very very badly. And even for adults its nasty, my dad got whooping cough and was ill for months.
At the very first prenatal visit of my son and his pregnant wife they were told that everyone who would have contact with their newborn baby (grandparents, relatives, care givers and close friends) needed to make sure that their whooping cough vaccinations were up to date. They were told by their doctor that most adults have not had the vaccination in decades and it is only effective for 10 years (or something like that).

I can't believe that a parent would knowingly expose all those strangers to a potentially serious illness. How incredibly selfish and ignorant of them.

Whooping cough can result in very serious complications, including brain damage, for infants and toddlers and can even result in death for infants under 6 months.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-22-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting