Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM

180 posts, read 621,622 times

Advertisements

I am a mother to two kids a 16 month old girl and a 4 month old boy. When my daughter was born she weighed 6 pounds 8 ounces and was 21 inches long. When my son was born he weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces and was 20 inches long. My daughter was right on target even under weight a few times when she was an infant. I am concerned because my son is a big boy! The last time he was weighed was when he had his 2 month shots and he was 13 pounds then. Seems like he is closer to 18 now. Isn't that over weight for an infant that age. Mind you that my daughter is 34 inches long now and only weighs 24 pounds. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with both kids and with my son it was a little harder to manage. I have read all of the warning about how my son will be predisposed to obesity and other problems because of it. Can someone give me an oppinion because I am really worried that he is too overweight. He has reflux and he has been on thickened liquids since he was 9 days old. He takes 5 ounces of formula every 4-6 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey19782000 View Post
Can someone give me an oppinion because I am really worried that he is too overweight. He has reflux and he has been on thickened liquids since he was 9 days old. He takes 5 ounces of formula every 4-6 hours.
To be honest, I would not worry about your child struggling with obesity just because of his weight at 4 months. My daughter was in the 95th percentile for weight and height when she was an infant. Now, as a toddler, she is still in the 95th percentile for height, but her weight has slown down because of how mobile she is. Your baby may weigh a lot now, but once he is mobile, that will change if he is kept active.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Checking the CDC growth charts, 16lbs is at the 75th percentile for weight. Are you sure he has really gained 5 lbs in the past 2 months? Honestly, I think you are worrying over nothing right now. My youngest son, a twin, was 7lbs 5 oz when he was born. At a year he looked like a little porker, round and rolly-polly. The dr kept making jokes that he was going to be a linebacker when he grew up. He is now 12 1/2 and not even on the charts for weight. He weighs all of 66 lbs at 5 feet tall. He has no fat on his body. The fattest part of his legs are his knees. Kids change. Chances are your son is gearing up for a big growth spurt. They tend to grow out a bit and then shoot up.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Checking the CDC growth charts, 16lbs is at the 75th percentile for weight. Are you sure he has really gained 5 lbs in the past 2 months? Honestly, I think you are worrying over nothing right now. My youngest son, a twin, was 7lbs 5 oz when he was born. At a year he looked like a little porker, round and rolly-polly. The dr kept making jokes that he was going to be a linebacker when he grew up. He is now 12 1/2 and not even on the charts for weight. He weighs all of 66 lbs at 5 feet tall. He has no fat on his body. The fattest part of his legs are his knees. Kids change. Chances are your son is gearing up for a big growth spurt. They tend to grow out a bit and then shoot up.
How do you have fat knees?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
How do you have fat knees?
He doesn't, that was the point. He has twigs for legs and the bones in his knees stick out a bit farther, thus the reference to them being the 'fattest' part of his legs. Most people have larger thighs then knees, he doesn't.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
make an appointment w/his pediatrician if you're really concerned.
and boy ya, but trying to compare your babies against each other in size/milestones, doesn't work. I have 3 kids and they were as far apart in everything. My 1st didnt even make it on the charts til she was a couple years old, then stayed in the below 15% til about 5th grade, my 2nd was in the 95th% til 2nd grade and now is smack in the middle for 50th, and my 3rd spent the first year in the bottom 30% and is now in the 80%. Same kind of differences in milestones. Even if you do everything the same each time, they are different people and will come out differently.
Again, I would urge you, if you are really concerned, make the appointment. '
Best of luck,
Tiffany

Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
I am a mother to two kids a 16 month old girl and a 4 month old boy. When my daughter was born she weighed 6 pounds 8 ounces and was 21 inches long. When my son was born he weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces and was 20 inches long. My daughter was right on target even under weight a few times when she was an infant. I am concerned because my son is a big boy! The last time he was weighed was when he had his 2 month shots and he was 13 pounds then. Seems like he is closer to 18 now. Isn't that over weight for an infant that age. Mind you that my daughter is 34 inches long now and only weighs 24 pounds. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with both kids and with my son it was a little harder to manage. I have read all of the warning about how my son will be predisposed to obesity and other problems because of it. Can someone give me an oppinion because I am really worried that he is too overweight. He has reflux and he has been on thickened liquids since he was 9 days old. He takes 5 ounces of formula every 4-6 hours.
I believe that your boy is perfectly normal and healthy and not overweight. Every baby is different, but I do think that it's good when a baby has a little weight on him. Also, 5 onces every 4-6 hours is not a lot, so I can tell you that you are not overfeeding him.
A friend of mine had a baby and his weight was 22 pounds at 4 months. Now as a toddler he is strong and lean.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
My first son was 20lbs at 4 months old and my second (just as tall) was 14lbs at the same point. They are both really tall and fine now...I think it's a bit too early to be worried if he is fat or not...just ask your pediatrician about if he is growing appropriately when you go in next.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Right now you shouldn't be that concerned with his weight unless he visually looks obese, and my guess is that he doesn't. I'm almost tempted to get my 22 year old son's baby book out, he was about 8lb 8oz, about 22 inches long and IIRC, he also was a bit pudgy for the 1st few months until he started growing into himself. He's now very tall (almost 6ft) and skinny.

My daughter OTOH was 7lb 10oz about 21 inches long and was always very skinny until about 6 years old, then she started gaining weight.

With your son, he has reflux, the fact that he keeps the food down enough to gain weight is a good thing. Thankfully he seems to be getting nutrition and is not underweight.

Do weight problems run in your family?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:38 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
.......... He has reflux and he has been on thickened liquids since he was 9 days old. He takes 5 ounces of formula every 4-6 hours.
Usually, infants double their birth weight at 6 mo and triple it at a year. However, if your infant is eating thickened formula as recommended by your pediatrician, that's probably why he's gaining. Not knowing your circumstances or the child's, you really should be talking about this to your pediatrician and the GI person who made the diagnosis. They know you and your child better than anyone other than you/your spouse. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting