Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times

Advertisements

Good stuff, thanks guys.

The wife actually just said to me after I posted this, that maybe we should wait it out a little longer till were not on the fence so much.

I feel like I question myself so much about this, that saying Im not going to have kids is just as hard as saying I want to have kids. very split on the decision. I think we will both make great parents so that is not a concern, we just both currently are very happy with our lives and our marriage as is and throwing a kid into the mix would greatly disrupt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
1. Funny things that they say and do!
2. When young, running to the door when you get home from work, to give you hugs and kisses because they missed you so much.
3. watching them grow from infants, babies, toddlers, then school age to high schoolers to young adults!
4. laying in bed and reading stories while they snuggle with you.
5. watching them grow up and make mistakes and learn from them and make lifetime decisions.
6. watching their excitement at Christmas, Easter, birthdays etc. Priceless!
7. watching the relationships they form
8. celebrating all of their accomplishments and being so proud of them!
9. watching them be more like you or your spouse and knowing where it came from!
10. When they are all gone and you can get thank yous for things you said and did!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:57 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Good stuff, thanks guys.

The wife actually just said to me after I posted this, that maybe we should wait it out a little longer till were not on the fence so much.

I feel like I question myself so much about this, that saying Im not going to have kids is just as hard as saying I want to have kids. very split on the decision. I think we will both make great parents so that is not a concern, we just both currently are very happy with our lives and our marriage as is and throwing a kid into the mix would greatly disrupt that.
Smart lady! Don't let anyone pressure you gyus to have kids or even come to a decision about it one way or the other until you are ready.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Top Ten Reasons to Have Children:

Why else would you move to a 'good' community with 'good' schools?

How else will you keep up with technology?

Who else are you going to have to take care of when you reach retirement age?

How are you going to get the latest used I-phones if you don't have kids?

You'll never buy a BMW if you don't have a kid to give it to for graduation.

With no kid you will never experience the joy of changing a diarrhea diaper at three in the morning.

You might never see your mother in law again if there are no grand children.

What else are you going to do with those $20 bills in your wallet?

You'll never get to stand in the rain or argue with another parent over the outcome of a pee-wee soccer match.

When you put a beer in the fridge, or a snack in the cupboard, it will still be there when you get the urge.

...and speaking of 'urges', you get to scratch the itch without the knowledge that unless you are careful, all hell can break out in your life!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM

I started responding to this line by line and then i realized where you were going with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Top Ten Reasons to Have Children:

Why else would you move to a 'good' community with 'good' schools?

How else will you keep up with technology?

Who else are you going to have to take care of when you reach retirement age?

How are you going to get the latest used I-phones if you don't have kids?

You'll never buy a BMW if you don't have a kid to give it to for graduation.

With no kid you will never experience the joy of changing a diarrhea diaper at three in the morning.

You might never see your mother in law again if there are no grand children.

What else are you going to do with those $20 bills in your wallet?

You'll never get to stand in the rain or argue with another parent over the outcome of a pee-wee soccer match.

When you put a beer in the fridge, or a snack in the cupboard, it will still be there when you get the urge.

...and speaking of 'urges', you get to scratch the itch without the knowledge that unless you are careful, all hell can break out in your life!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Really, if you are going on the internet and asking strangers for 10 positive reasons to have kids... you are not ready for kids.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really, if you are going on the internet and asking strangers for 10 positive reasons to have kids... you are not ready for kids.
Thanks would it be better to ask biased family and friends who will just try go convice me to have kids? Posts like yours are actually helpful. thats why i asked the internet

edit, you seem to be happy that your kids have moved out and your kid free again, judging by your location..

Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yep!
Raising happy, productive adults was our job... and we am now retired from the raising kids business.

It is nice that DH and I can be a couple again, and be doing what we want and on our schedule.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Thanks would it be better to ask biased family and friends who will just try go convice me to have kids? Posts like yours are actually helpful. thats why i asked the internet
You prefaced your thread by instructing us to not tell you that you're not ready/don't really want kids.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM

451 posts, read 769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There's really only one positive reason you should have kids -- because you and wife want them. There is nothing wrong with not having them if that's what you decide and if friends and family begin pushing you to have them, kindly tell them to shut the hell up, although I would substiture hell with another four letter word just to drive the point home a little more succintly. Too many people have kids that never should have kids... see also some of the other threads posted here lately.
^^^This times 1,000. You don't have to have children if you don't want to have them. Since you feel the need to talk yourself into having children, you should probably stick with pets. Having children because you feel you have to is ridiculous and harmful to you, your wife, and the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting