Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times

Advertisements

Moms spending less time behind a mop; more in front of a TV - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
The government here does actually pay me to be a SAHM Only until my daughter is 3 though (or until my youngest is 3 if I had more kids)

Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
I hate these kinds of articles that assign insane amounts of money to the value of a SAHP to justify SAH.

I'm a SAHM. My husband has also been a SAHD, just depended on the situation at the time. Generally it has been because it was not worth it for the other person to work when all things were considered: childcare, commute, time lost, and the actual amount of money being brought home if the SAH worked.

I am not worth six figures a year to stay at home and neither was my husband. I do everything that would have to be done anyway. The only place it really 'pays' is in time and flexibility for the working spouse.

For what it is worth, both of us volunteered during our periods of SAHing so that the resume wouldn't be completely empty for that block of time. I volunteer now.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmichelle28CT View Post
My Fiance's mother told me once that if men had to pay us for all the work that we do that the wouldn't be able to afford us. I work full time and I'm still going after work is over, taking care of my son, the dog, and the house. A mother's job never ends. Now I know some fathers do their share, but it seems like for most, their job ends when they come in the door.
Yup. Dad does too. I don't know about most. But I don't know anyone whose Dad gets to skate.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
The tradition of stay-at-home parenting is largely a myth. Throughout history everybody worked.

Way back on the farm, the parents were both at work and at home, so they could watch and teach the kids. Housework was productive, in terms of making items like clothing and food that would not have to be bought with money earned at a job away from home.

Now housework is for show - organizing and cleaning the vast array of stuff we accumulate with salaries, running to the store instead of making things at home, shuttling kids to activities because we don't want them running around in the street.

Once we industrialized, kids (and schools) got industrialized too. If we leave home to work, we create a "job" to care for the kids.
Giving it a "bump up" so it will be read as often as possible.

Contemporary "stay-at-home-motherhood" rests on the shoulders of a giant traditional model in which the woman really DID do a lot of VITAL work. Dressed in these clothes, it does indeed sound like a very hard job, worthy of high remuneration.

Upon closer examination, many of the contemporary SAHM activities are mere frivolities, luxuries, or by-products of ineffective parenting or an educational system based on the "family-school" partnership - all of which are things society would certainly not collapse without.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I believe that you do have a fuller schedule than some of us, however, that doesn't make you a SUPER MOM.... it makes you "normal" , it makes you a career person, it makes you a mom., it makes you a wife..... it doesn't make you SUPER.
If she is merely "NORMAL" covering all these areas - domestic / providing - during the same time many mothers cover only one (the domestic), what does this make the exclusively domestic mothers?
Sub-par?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
If she is merely "NORMAL" covering all these areas - domestic / providing - during the same time many mothers cover only one (the domestic), what does this make the exclusively domestic mothers?
Sub-par?
Well bless your little heart darlin'!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I have a problem with this article.

Women are spending 11 hours less per week on things such as housework, etc. than in 1965.

In 1965, most women only worked in the home. Today, the majority also work outside the home. Some in a full time capacity. So they spend 40+ hours per week working outside the home and it's such a bad thing they spend 11 hours less time working inside the home???? Seriously???

Are women expected to just work from the second they wake until they drop off to sleep at night?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
I wonder how much more time they are spending on Facebook than they did in 1965.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I have a problem with this article.

Women are spending 11 hours less per week on things such as housework, etc. than in 1965.

In 1965, most women only worked in the home. Today, the majority also work outside the home. Some in a full time capacity. So they spend 40+ hours per week working outside the home and it's such a bad thing they spend 11 hours less time working inside the home???? Seriously???

Are women expected to just work from the second they wake until they drop off to sleep at night?
Also the fact that housework probably just isn't as time consuming anymore with all these modern day gadgets so they don't need to spend as much time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting