Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM

84 posts, read 181,057 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been going to daycare for about a year. All the children have been in the same class for about the same time. They all know each other and have been in the same room. Two months ago, a animal attacked my daughter and bit her on the chest. The director of the center removed him from the room due to the boy's history of agressive behavior and talked to the parents. I Thought it was done until the other day when my wife came home and was told a girl attacked my child and bit her on the back right shoulder. Neither bite broke the skin and caused bleading, but caused a visible wound. This time the director talked to the parents, teachers, and kids. She told the parents of the animal who bit my child that if this happends again, their daughter would be removed from the daycare center and never allowed back. I had to take my child into the DR and get an antibiotic med just in case infection sets in. two different attacked, by two different children. Is there anything that I can do legaly to prevent this from happening again? I mean is there anything that I can do to prevent this from being a regular thing? People have told me that it is normal for children to bite other children. I am having a hard time believing this. My child has never, ever attacked any other child or hurt any other child before. I do not think she could even do harm if she had the chance. I think this it total BS and the parents should be thrown in jail for this, but this is America. I would love some advice on this before my child really gets hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,420 times
Are you open to finding a new daycare provider? What is the caregiver to child ratio at your current facility?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Are you open to finding a new daycare provider? What is the caregiver to child ratio at your current facility?

I do not know that answer. I think they may have around 10 kids. The number changes every day because some children stay home. When the class is full, they add a second teacher to help.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I am confused, sorry. You mentioned an animal ... what is this, a dog? It sounds like you are talking about another small child, but I don't think I've ever heard a parent refer to another child as an animal.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am confused, sorry. You mentioned an animal ... what is this, a dog? It sounds like you are talking about another small child, but I don't think I've ever heard a parent refer to another child as an animal.

Yes, I am talking about the other children. I called them an animal because that is what animals do. They bite. Can't you tell that I am a little angry about this. Excuse me for not being politicaly correct, but I call it as I see it. I have never in my life even heard of a child bitting another child. NEVER! Oh sure, I have heard of children being ruff and agressive, but never have I seen any child bite another.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
Yes, I am talking about the other children. I called them an animal because that is what animals do. They bite. Can't you tell that I am a little angry about this. Excuse me for not being politicaly correct, but I call it as I see it. I have never in my life even heard of a child bitting another child. NEVER! Oh sure, I have heard of children being ruff and agressive, but never have I seen any child bite another.
Is this your first child?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM

I would be very protective of my little one too in such a situation. It may be "normal" but I just wouldn't want my baby getting chewed on. If I were you, HappyFather, I would be looking into switching daycare providers. A home based daycare with just a couple other kids might work better. I think at the larger facilities with only 1 or 2 providers per 10 kids, it can take a minute before the caregivers identify a problem and address it, and by then it can be "too late". But if every provider only has to keep their eyes on 2 kids for example, the bite can be prevented because the caregiver is right there watching those little jaws open..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM

203 posts, read 517,555 times
Thrown in jail? Going to the Dr. for a bite that didn't even open flesh? Give me a break.

I would go to another daycare center, but your daughter isn't a piece of chinaware or something.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
Let me guess... is your child and the others in the room between 1 and 2 years old? Biting is extremely common for that age group, and can be part of normal development for that age as they start to gain independent thought but still lack the verbal skills to express it. The only way to avoid it completely is to put the child in a setting where there are no other kids in that age range.

Oh - and technically all humans are animals.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM

I think it's natural and endearing for a father to feel so protective of his little girl. He might be slightly hyperbolic at the moment, but the sentiment behind it is really just wanting his daughter to be safe and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting