Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

I am struggling with a video game related issue. I'd like to hear what other parents think about this situation...

My husband and our two boys play video games. No issue there. But my husband really likes the Grand Theft Auto franchise, and when he has downtime with nothing else to do he will play those games.

Oldest son saw dad playing the GTA games when he was about middle school age. We told him that when he was in high school he could play them, too, but at the time we felt middle school was too young to play games like that. Too much sexual content and too much graphic violence.

So now oldest son is in high school and both he and his dad play GTA5.

Enter the issue: youngest brother is in middle school, watching his dad and older brother play GTA5. To make matters worse, all his friends seemed to receive GTA5 for Christmas as gifts and are now playing online together - my son feels totally left out. His dad, brother, and friends are all playing this game.

He doesn't have the game and we have not allowed him to play it yet.

What should we do?

On the one hand, he's already going to be exposed to it via his friends, his dad, his brother.

On the other hand, we didn't allow his brother to play those games until he was in high school. Not to mention the fact that those games contain a lot of really sleazy sexual content. (the language and violence thing is everywhere - not just games - so we lost that battles years ago). If you're not familiar with those games... http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/gt...emberment.html

I'm not sure what to do. ?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
GTA is the worst of the worst. One of my 17-year-olds wanted to buy it for his twin brother for Christmas, and I said no. End of story.

It should have been for dad only all along. Do NOT allow the younger son to play.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
So middle school is like 6th or 7th grade, right? 12-13ish?

Meh, I'd let him play it, especially if he's already watching Dad/Brother play it. 7th grade now is like 10th grade 15 years ago, IMO.

FWIW, I haven't played GTA since the 3rd one when I was younger so maybe it's a lot worse now. IDK. What does your husband think?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
So is he sitting around watching your husband and son play the game? If so he's being exposed to everything anyway. I'm not sure what banning him from playing the game is going to protect him from at this point.

GTA was one of those games that our son didn't play. I know other stuff he played later was maybe more violent. I guess my issue was the sexual content, etc. Back then only one friend had it. Otherwise they were in to other games when he was with his best friend.

The mistake you made if you wanted to keep him from it was letting dad play it in front of either of them.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
So middle school is like 6th or 7th grade, right? 12-13ish?

Meh, I'd let him play it, especially if he's already watching Dad/Brother play it. 7th grade now is like 10th grade 15 years ago, IMO.

FWIW, I haven't played GTA since the 3rd one when I was younger so maybe it's a lot worse now. IDK. What does your husband think?
I agree with you. If he watches network TV the stuff there is just as bad. At this point the OP has no leverage. I'd explain the difference between real and fantasy violence.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Not fair to allow the stuff in the house for Dad and older brother and not let him participate. Personally, I don't think any of them should be doing it. But you can't allow Dad and brother to do this while younger brother is in the house, and say he cannot join in. And even if they do it only while younger brother is asleep or away, younger brother will still get at it - it's too tempting. Get my point? It's just not appropriate to have this material in the house with young children, or even teenagers.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Let him play. My brother plays those games and has for years now.
DB borrowed the newest version of gta from a friend and I've been playing too.
I usually drive around and knock over light poles or play tennis, it's not the worst ever.

Kinda boring if you ask me.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,956 times
It's rated Mature for a reason.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
Probably would've been better if DH had limited his game time to when the kids were asleep or not there and then kept the game in his room, but since that ship has sailed, I would not let DS2 play it. It's easy to say they are exposed to it anyway, but at what point does the line shift too far by something you may overhear in the locker room, or catch in a TV show when your mom isn't home, versus mom and dad condoning a very violent and sexual game as "acceptable" for you when you're 12 or 13?

I understand the point another poster was making when he said 7th grade is like 10th grade used to be... but I don't think that's a good thing, and whether or not there will be areas in which he's exposed to things earlier, I would not simply throw my hands up and completely give in either. Whether he's exposed to things earlier doesn't mean that 7th graders have magically become more emotionally capable of handling that sort of thing than they were a decade ago. So I wouldn't be quick to just let the floodgates open and let them do anything they want.

Personally, I would kick around the idea of asking DH to be the bad guy and put the game away.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
If his friends have it, he might be playing at their house. It's hard to control everything young teens do when they're not under your watchful eye all the time. This can be a problem even with smaller children. We knew a family that didn't allow their son to watch TV, and whenever he was at someone else's house, that's all he wanted to do. Sometimes prohibiting something makes it more alluring. I'd let him play it with dad and the older brother since it's too late to put that genie back in the bottle, and he knows too much about it at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting