Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Not so much me, but my husband was furious at his mom for making such a spectacle and for not letting his grandma go in peace. He kept telling me that his poor grandma was probably worn out after 73 years of taking care of his mother. He hasn't spoken to his mom since the funeral. He lets the calls go to voicemail. The kids and I have to call and see how she's doing, since he won't. I keep trying to explain to him that there are stages of grief, and that can involve selfishness, but he says he lost all respect for his mother seeing her behave like that. (Also, he lost his dad last year and when he called his mom to tell her, all she could say was that she didn't give a s---.)
How awful of him! I could not be married to someone like that!

Quote:
About my user name, when I registered for the forum, we had a hedgehog with wobbly hedgehog syndrome, which is a progressive paralysis that eventually kills the hedgehog. I didn't even like the hedgehog, but when I let my kids adopt a pet, that means we will care for it for the rest of its life, no matter what happens. It took about a year from the first symptom (a dragging foot) to the point where the hedgehog couldn't walk or feed herself. I was feeding her with a syringe several times a day, wiping her little bottom with diaper wipes because she couldn't keep herself clean, flipping her over so she didn't get sore from laying on one side, etc. And that is how I came up with my user name, because everything I usually use was taken.
So by your way of thinking (that you can identify codependent mothers by their usernames saying "so-and-so's mom,") it's fair for us to assume you're more codependent with a hedgehog than your children. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
Quote:
I've known people like that. You can detect them on forums because they've got user names like "so-and-so's mom".
Sooooo, is your child named "Hedgehog"?:

Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Relax, people. You know she's not implying what you're all thinking. You're all so easily offended.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Relax, people. You know she's not implying what you're all thinking. You're all so easily offended.
Relax, steelstress. We're not offended. We're teasing her.

She set herself up and walked right into the joke!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How awful of him! I could not be married to someone like that!

There are too many years of pain and bitterness between my husband and his mom to really get into here...she was physically and emotionally abusive to him when he was growing up (he has scars on his back from being whipped with the buckle end of a belt, for example). He didn't talk to her for the first 11 or 12 years that I was married to him, but I suggested to him that talking to her again and being able to see her as a person, especially as a fragile old lady, would give him some closure. The problem is that she can't remember any of the abuse and she thinks he started talking to her again to be one big happy family. My mother was abusive also and pretends she can't remember any of the things she did, so I guess that's not unusual, but I have sisters who were there too and remember the things I remember.

Not every family is happy, not every mother is always right, sometimes you have to climb out of the wreckage of your childhood and become a better person than you were raised to be.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
There are too many years of pain and bitterness between my husband and his mom to really get into here...she was physically and emotionally abusive to him when he was growing up (he has scars on his back from being whipped with the buckle end of a belt, for example). He didn't talk to her for the first 11 or 12 years that I was married to him, but I suggested to him that talking to her again and being able to see her as a person, especially as a fragile old lady, would give him some closure. The problem is that she can't remember any of the abuse and she thinks he started talking to her again to be one big happy family. My mother was abusive also and pretends she can't remember any of the things she did, so I guess that's not unusual, but I have sisters who were there too and remember the things I remember.

Not every family is happy, not every mother is always right, sometimes you have to climb out of the wreckage of your childhood and become a better person than you were raised to be.
I would not call my mother abusive. Maybe bitchy would be a better word. But the "not remembering" thing is very familiar to me. In my case, I can completely understand why Mom felt the way she did and acted the way she did. So we can have something of a relationship now which is good.

I am sorry that that is your history and commend you for rising above. It is true that not every parent is the best parent. It is a significant part of what drives me to do better even when I feel the same bitterness and regret that I think drove my mother. Continue strongly on your path because you are a rock star.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
There are mothers who essentially stop living for themselves or anyone else except the child, and it may continue long after the child has become an adult.

My own dumb-pop psychology is that they might be compensating for a feeling that they had been neglected by their own mothers.

But it's something that can damage marriages.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry you both had such difficult childhoods. I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with people who deny what they did. I believe in healthy boundaries. No contact is better in these situations. Your post about the funeral made it sound like he was making those decisions simply on how she reacted at her mother's funeral.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Do you know any mothers who are codepedent with their child?

i.e., the mother does not maintain an identity separate of the child
Not personally, though that show toddlers and tiarras is a good example (i think) of exactly that.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
I sometimes wonder about online user names like "So-and-so'sMom" or "MomOfTwo," etc. I've never wanted to create an online identity based on being my child's mother. My user names are always based on an interest or vocation of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting