Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I have to throw this out there again. OMG--I couldn't find anything to feed my daughter for lunch tomorrow!! At the orientation today, I made a comment about it to her teacher and she touched on the sensitivity of the topic and that they were going to go through every child's lunch every day and take out the inappropriate items. If the child is still hungry, they are going to give them something from a communal school box. My issue is that almost everything I picked up today at Costco and the supermarket said "traces of peanuts." I told my husband that I was scared to make her a cheese sandwich because I had made my other daughter a peanut butter sandwich on the same counter. I think I have to scrub my counter before I can make my other child's lunch. I'm sorry but this is just not worth it to me. I'm paying $5500 a year for my THREE YEAR OLD to go to school and if I have to jump through hoops like this, maybe they need to provide lunches that are appropriate.
That's a thought... . All snacks and lunches should be provided when ANY school or classroom goes peanut free. That way, the only ones jumping through hoops are the ones who expect it. I like that idea a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Food allergies can cause eczema?
I wonder what I'm eating wrong then.
I'm covered constantly from head to toe, for the last fifteen years.
I don't drink milk, but eat a lot of milk products, ice cream is a big one.
I just wish it would go away. ;[
Dairy is a common trigger of eczema.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM

58 posts, read 193,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
That's a thought... . All snacks and lunches should be provided when ANY school or classroom goes peanut free. That way, the only ones jumping through hoops are the ones who expect it. I like that idea a lot.
That's a great idea. There's nothing more aggravating than being expected to read labels and fashion our diet around someone else's allergy when there are no food allergies in my house. If any school wants to be that particular, then they should provide the food for everyone, or allow what is sent from home.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 AM

112 posts, read 320,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Dairy is a common trigger of eczema.
What am I going to do without ice cream?!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Notice you never hear about starving children in third world countries suffering from food allergies. I wonder why?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Notice you never hear about starving children in third world countries suffering from food allergies. I wonder why?
Probably because the ones that have peanut alergies die due to lack of education, food control, and medical treatment.

We also tend not to hear about ADD in areas where school is not emphasized. (not to start a discusson on ADD...I'm just sayin')

Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Probably because the ones that have peanut alergies die due to lack of education, food control, and medical treatment.

We also tend not to hear about ADD in areas where school is not emphasized. (not to start a discusson on ADD...I'm just sayin')
The point was made on the earlier threads that VERY FEW have severe, life threatening reactions to peanut products. So I doubt they all died. Maybe got a rash or something like that, but not died.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 AM

112 posts, read 320,491 times
Quote:
The point was made on the earlier threads that VERY FEW have severe, life threatening reactions to peanut products. So I doubt they all died. Maybe got a rash or something like that, but not died.
This is true. I'm allergic to tomatoes, and I know this, and have known it for quite sometimes, but that doesn't mean if someone puts ketchup on my hamburger, I'm not gonna keel over. It just makes my eczema worse, so I just don't eat them. I don't go out of my way to make sure I'm not eating one, except when I know my eczema is already really bad. My girlfriend has several intolerances to fruits. Tomatoes are not good for either, so we just don't buy any. We make life easy. Pineapple makes the roof of my mouth itch like mad, so I don't eat it, even though it's one of the fruits she actually can eat.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Food allergies can cause eczema?
I wonder what I'm eating wrong then.
I'm covered constantly from head to toe, for the last fifteen years.
I don't drink milk, but eat a lot of milk products, ice cream is a big one.
I just wish it would go away. ;[
You could try eliminating one food at a time to see if it improves. I am dairy free as is my daughter due to dairy intolerance's. Dairy is a good place to start as mentioned by another poster it is a common trigger and one of the most common foods that people have problems with. make sure you eliminate all dairy, even trace amounts in processed foods. Food labels (with very few exceptions) will state allergens at the end of the ingredient list (Contains : MILK) If it says that, find something else. Milk can be found in bread, crackers cookies, etc. Eliminate it for three full weeks as it can take that long for it to get out of your system and see if the eczema clears.

Some alternative treats that you may find at health food stores such as Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, Wild Oats:

Coconut Bliss Ice cream (delicious, tastes just like regular ice cream)
Hemp I Scream
Rice Dream
Soy Ice cream

Oreos are dairy free as well!

I wouldn't bother trying to find a good cheese substitute as most are disgusting and many contain milk protein anyway. Hummus and avocado are good cheese alternatives as they contain fat and are creamy with lots of flavor. Coconut oil is a great butter substitute.

If you're eczema is food triggered then you may find other benefits to cutting it out of your diet. I cut it out of mine due to my daughter's intolerance and noticed big changes. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:06 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
What is your point? Are you stating that kids in the US are overplaying their peanut allergies?

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting