Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
When I was a kid the phone had a short cord so mom had to stay right next to it. At least this mom was near the kid.
I know, by 3 my kids were certainly playing on our deck with me watching from inside ...
Maybe the OP does not have kids..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Easy. He described, in detail, what happened to the child and expressed NO concern for the child's well being.

The OP found hilarity in the fact that Mom was on the phone while a child fell and landed in the mud. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the woman was saying, "The neighbor is watching me again. Creeps me out."

Do YOU spend time watching your neighbors while they're on their own deck? How about paying attention to them being on the phone? Are you judging all the neighbors who are doing something that's legal and their own business? Are you getting your entertainment from people using their phones? The OP is doing all of that and BRAGGING about it.

I doubt that mother enjoys living next to the guy who gets his jollies from watching her.
Well maybe -- or it could have been like one of those America's Funniest Videos where kids fall and adults fall, people smack into things, and it looks like people actually could be getting hurt but everyone in the audience laughs.

There might have been something about the child sweeping and then going right off the edge and into a mud puddle and the mother still hanging onto her phone in some way that made him laugh -- because the fall wasn't so big and the child couldn't have been hurt.

I actually think the way some people are with cell phones is pretty funny. Even my adult kids -- they often have their phones on vibrate and if they don't get a buzz often enough, they're grabbing their phones out of their pockets looking for messages or checking that it's still on. Or the time my sister dropped her phone when standing on a pier and certain people instinctively dove into the water after it with all their clothes on. That struck me as very hilarious.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well maybe -- or it could have been like one of those America's Funniest Videos where kids fall and adults fall, people smack into things, and it looks like people actually could be getting hurt but everyone in the audience laughs.

There might have been something about the child sweeping and then going right off the edge and into a mud puddle and the mother still hanging onto her phone in some way that made him laugh -- because the fall wasn't so big and the child couldn't have been hurt.

I actually think the way some people are with cell phones is pretty funny. Even my adult kids -- they often have their phones on vibrate and if they don't get a buzz often enough, they're grabbing their phones out of their pockets looking for messages or checking that it's still on. Or the time my sister dropped her phone when standing on a pier and certain people instinctively dove into the water after it with all their clothes on. That struck me as very hilarious.
That was clearly not why the OP was laughing. The child was 3 and he even indicated the child hit the stairs as she fell. This was not a AFHV moment.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I know, by 3 my kids were certainly playing on our deck with me watching from inside ...
Maybe the OP does not have kids..
oh me too. i just thought it all the more odd that the op blamed this on mobile phones.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSneak View Post
Yesterday I saw my neighbor with her small 3 year old child walking around their back deck. The deck is about 3 feet from the ground with steps going to it. The woman was ON THE CELL PHONE and the little kid had a broom playing like she was sweeping the deck. All of a sudden the kid got to close to the edge and fell in a somersault off of the deck . The kid hit the steps on the way down and ended up flat on her back in a deep puddle at the end of the steps. The woman on the cell phone screamed out OH MY GOD as she ran over and picked up the kid with one hand still on the cell phone...lol I almost laughed so loud she heard me... Stupid cell phone users create allot of entertainment for sure...lol
awesome. maybe that mom will learn to watch her kid more.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Having kids incidents like this will happen no matter how much you try to keep an eye on them.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,780 times
A young child certainly can get hurt from a fall of three feet, so I don't see any humor in this. Heck, my 13-year old daughter got a pretty bad concussion after falling about three feet and hitting her head, and she is MUCH bigger than a 3-year-old. If an adult fell the distance of their own height--say five to six feet--would you be laughing? The mother was reacting because she was scared for her child. That is what good mothers do. I think the OP has an incredible lack of empathy.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Some people just have no foresight. Potentially dangerous situations are usually obvious. Like a kid running around with a lollipop in their mouth. I just don't get some people. I'd rather be a "helicopter parent" in most situations and teach them than have my kid seriously hurt themself and learn the hard way. Yeah, I know, you "turned out ok". Good for you, but not everyone does.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Yesterday I saw my neighbor with her small 3 year old child walking around their back deck. The deck is about 3 feet from the ground with steps going to it. The woman was ON THE CELL PHONE and the little kid had a broom playing like she was sweeping the deck. All of a sudden the kid got to close to the edge and fell in a somersault off of the deck . The kid hit the steps on the way down and ended up flat on her back in a deep puddle at the end of the steps. The woman on the cell phone screamed out OH MY GOD as she ran over and picked up the kid with one hand still on the cell phone...lol I almost laughed so loud she heard me... Stupid cell phone users create allot of entertainment for sure...lol
Personally, I get more entertainment out of people who call others stupid but use a word like "allot" in a sentence when they mean "a lot".

Now is your chance to jump up and down and shriek "SPELLING NAZI!" Go ahead, do it.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:11 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
So you assume her being on the phone had nothing to do with the accident.. I disagree . Yo. Driving an suv while trying to play with the phone is a documented reason many have died...It isnt the same as accidentally burning a burger . Land line outside??????? who has this ? case n point.

Mine reaches past the 1/2 acre back yard fence.
Mother on the phone causes toddler to fall down stairs. Remote child control?
Neighborly of you to run over to check on mother and child. Or do I hear curtains swoosh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting