Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

I think i did a HS graduation party, and that was it.

When i graduated college, i didn't want a party, so none was had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 AM

226 posts, read 312,118 times
12th grade and that's it. All of these other "graduations" are ridiculous. The 8th grade graduations are outdated. If it would be their last graduation it's their fault. Why a 1st grade graduation? People these days just want a reason to have a party.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx08 View Post
12th grade and that's it. All of these other "graduations" are ridiculous. The 8th grade graduations are outdated. If it would be their last graduation it's their fault. Why a 1st grade graduation? People these days just want a reason to have a party.
Okay? You're welcome to decline the invitation.

I grew up in a neighborhood where we had block parties all summer, and get-togethers happened simply because it was Tuesday. This whole "controversy" cracks me up. Seriously. People go to the trouble to plan a social event, something that is happening less and less these days, and all we hear is complaints. The horror! We're all turning into a bunch of social-media addicted hermits.

In years past, our family has thrown a party to celebrate the end of school and the beginning of summer. This year, no, but my kids attended parties hosted by others. I know how much time and trouble it takes to plan such things, so I reminded my children to be gracious and thank the families who put them on.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 PM

You know, the more I think about this, the more incensed I become. WHY is it such a hardship for some people to be gracious when invited to a party or celebration? For the most part, there is no ulterior motive on the part of the host other than perhaps hoping to enjoy your company.

Tomorrow, y'all will be belly-aching about the breakdown of the American community. "Nobody wants to DOoooo anything anymore other than sit on the couch, electronic pacifier in hand." Sound familiar? Folks, these are the things that build community.

It takes a lot of time, effort, and (often) money to plan a celebration of any sort whatsoever. It's hard enough to plan a casual potluck, since nobody seems to understand the importance of an RSVP. Seriously, it's as if we've all forgotten the very basics of etiquette regarding these matters.

So next time you receive an invitation to a first-grade "graduation" consider yourself flattered to have people in your life who want to spend time with you. Go, and when you arrive congratulate the seven-year-old, grab a brew from the cooler, and socialize with the grown-ups while the kids play tag. And, if it's not your scene, that's okay, too, but for the love of Pete, stop yer bitchin'.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Okay? You're welcome to decline the invitation.

I grew up in a neighborhood where we had block parties all summer, and get-togethers happened simply because it was Tuesday. This whole "controversy" cracks me up. Seriously. People go to the trouble to plan a social event, something that is happening less and less these days, and all we hear is complaints. The horror! We're all turning into a bunch of social-media addicted hermits.

In years past, our family has thrown a party to celebrate the end of school and the beginning of summer. This year, no, but my kids attended parties hosted by others. I know how much time and trouble it takes to plan such things, so I reminded my children to be gracious and thank the families who put them on.
There is a big difference between celebrating summer with the whole class or whole neighborhood, and celebrating 1 child finishing 1st grade. It is a completely different thing and the latter will likely turn your child into a self-centered, entitled princess. I am picturing "my super sweet 16." "What do you mean I don't get a party this year?" It does the child a disservice to celebrate non-milestones.

I have no problem celebrating real events, or rewarding good behavior or good grades. I have no problem celebrating the end of school. I do have a problem celebrating one child finishing a random grade. It isn't an accomplishment. If she got straight A's or something, I'd take her out to dinner but I absolutely would not expect other people to celebrate this.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM

Funny, but the only place I've ever seen anything like what you've described was TV, and we all know that "reality" TV is anything but realistic. For the most part, the celebration of one child finishing a school year does not happen, at least not in the way the detractors in this thread would have us believe.

Now, as for the formal private school eighth grade continuation ceremony I attended, here's a little more about the "graduate": the young woman spent three months shortly after finishing her M.D. working gratis in Haiti to provide medical care after the 2010 earthquake, and she is one of the most humble, most compassionate people I've ever known. She is the complete opposite of a spoiled, entitled princess in every possible way.

I know there are brats out there, but I hardly think a first-grade "graduation" celebration is to blame. So I think everybody needs to chill a bit and just be grateful that somebody is still willing to throw a party occasionally, even if they do use their kid's successful completion of the school year as an excuse. God knows we could all use the opportunity to drag our sorry butts out of the house or office and actually spend some time with our family and friends.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 PM

In any case, what is it about a birthday celebration that earns it a reprieve? It's also a day when little special snowflake is the center of attention. And the brat gets gifts, too! No wonder children become spoiled, entitled princesses.

I've had enough of this nonsense. I hereby insist that we end the disgustingly indulgent tradition of birthday parties. After all, the kid has simply managed to breath for an additional 365 days. Where's the accomplishment in that?

All sarcasm aside, at least an end of school celebration indicates that a child has put in nine or so months of real effort. We don't do it, but if another family wants to get dressed up and have a formal ceremony followed by a big party with all the trimmings, I say, more power to them!

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting