Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know a lot of Republicans and I don't know a single one who has named their kids any of these stupid names.
Sarah Palin? Track, Trig, Piper, Willow, Bristol

I have nothing against the names, but they certainly are not typical

As for Todd, I have a nephew named Todd. I have no idea if he or his dad are republican though. They are Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
I know a Todd too.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
This is hilarious. And I believe that those are all actual names. Some of the students I work with have those names.
I would count some of them as American, others are just names from elsewhere that they decided to spell wrong.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
It's a name so rare we never hear about it, we don't even find it in literature. And using a last name as a first name is super rare in France, and not much heard if in older generations. We can't name children as freely as you can on this side if the ocean. I was talking about how things are done over there, not how they are done here, hence my surprise at first when it was nentioned as being a French name. Of course the origin doesn't change, it's just not a name given over there.
Now back to the topic.
I live in the US and I don't know a single Mason. That doesn't mean the name doesn't exist over here either, because actually its one of the most popular names. And obviously the French can be named Mason because I did a search and found many French guys (and a few girls) with the name. So yes it is a name given over there, it just happens that you don't know any. Just as I don't know any Masons in the US even though there are supposedly thousands of them.

Even still the topic is names with American origins. And even if it is not a popular name in France, it still does not give the name an American origin.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:55 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I live in the US and I don't know a single Mason. That doesn't mean the name doesn't exist over here either, because actually its one of the most popular names. And obviously the French can be named Mason because I did a search and found many French guys (and a few girls) with the name. So yes it is a name given over there, it just happens that you don't know any. Just as I don't know any Masons in the US even though there are supposedly thousands of them.
What resembles Mason in French is actually spelled Masson. It's a million times more likely to be a surname (last name) than a given name.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Sarah Palin? Track, Trig, Piper, Willow, Bristol

I have nothing against the names, but they certainly are not typical

As for Todd, I have a nephew named Todd. I have no idea if he or his dad are republican though. They are Jewish.
I said I know a lot of Republicans and don't know any who name their kids those stupid names in the first post.

I don't know Sarah Palin. What I know OF her I personally find repulsive, including the stupid names of several of her kids.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I said I know a lot of Republicans and don't know any who name their kids those stupid names in the first post.

I don't know Sarah Palin. What I know OF her I personally find repulsive, including the stupid names of several of her kids.
Sarah Palin, named some of her children from place names in Alaska. She loves her state.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What resembles Mason in French is actually spelled Masson. It's a million times more likely to be a surname (last name) than a given name.
Exactly. Not a first name at all.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I suspect most true American names originated in Hollywoodland in the late 20th century.

Dweezil, Moon Unit, Rainbow Aurora, Breeze Beretta, Blue Ivy, Kal-El...................
I was thinking more along these lines with so-called American names, and not so much whether the actual name given itself is English, French, Native American or from some other language or culture in origin.

I would guess pop culture names really made an impact on American baby naming after the WWII era or so.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Exactly. Not a first name at all.
It might have started out as a Surname, but it has evolved to also be a first name. You might not think it should be, but your opinion on a name doesn't change the fact that there are children all over the world (including France) with the first name Mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting