Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Do you buy a gift for your spouse and let your kids give it to him/her as if it is from them?

Do you even give gifts for birthdays to your spouse?

Do you let your kids pick something out for their parent who is having a birthday?

We don't usually give each other gifts cause it seems like it is never the right thing and has to be taken back.

Do you cook something special at home or go out to eat as a family or just the two of you? Just wondering what other folks do

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Well Happy Birthday NK!

DH and I rarely buy special occasion gifts for each other. We neither want nor need more stuff. With the boys away at school when our birthdays fall, a phone call is the norm, and the most appreciated.

The best gift DH can offer me is the gift of time. I love it when he surprises me with a freshly turned planting bed and a trunk load of new plants.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Happy Birthday!

For hubby's birthday, we have a homemade cake and we go out to eat as a family and also usually go to the shooting range. For my birthday, we have a frozen pie.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
We either cook something special for each other or go out to a restaurant as a family. Usually we have pie or cake to celebrate. We always give cards, sometimes gifts - if we've recently treated ourselves (while on vacation for instance) we just stick to cards.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Happy Birthday!!

I will admit that when it comes to my birthday, I love the attention. It's the one day a year that is about me. DH usually takes me out for a nice dinner and the kids make me cards. ETA: While we don't usually give each other gifts (like a watch or jewelry), DH usually takes me to get my nails and hair done.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
All of our birthdays are in close proximity so years ago we came up with combining them and going out one night for dinner to someplace we all enjoy. Now, with the kids gone, we'll probably just go out to dinner on each other's birthdays. Kids call most days anyway so that won't change.We haven't done birthday gifts in a long time...

Happy Birthday to you NK! Hope you have a nice day and enjoy your dinner out.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do you buy a gift for your spouse and let your kids give it to him/her as if it is from them?

Do you even give gifts for birthdays to your spouse?
Yes - and I expect something non-useful myself. Like a video game. . .no clothing.

Quote:
Do you let your kids pick something out for their parent who is having a birthday?
N/A my son is 3. . .but with guidance that might be cute.

Quote:
We don't usually give each other gifts cause it seems like it is never the right thing and has to be taken back.
I use amazon.com wishlist

Quote:
Do you cook something special at home or go out to eat as a family or just the two of you? Just wondering what other folks do
Nice cake

nice dinner, maybe eat out

Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well Happy Birthday NK!

DH and I rarely buy special occasion gifts for each other. We neither want nor need more stuff. With the boys away at school when our birthdays fall, a phone call is the norm, and the most appreciated.

The best gift DH can offer me is the gift of time. I love it when he surprises me with a freshly turned planting bed and a trunk load of new plants.
Oh Mattie that reminds me of the special Birthday Surprise years ago when I was presented with my very own Troy Built Rototiller with a big bow on top AND a huge truck full of composted manure!!!I almost wet my pants I was so excited. Only a gardener would be able to relate.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
We usually have the birthday person's FAVORITE meal and cake w/ ice cream. We don't go all out on frivolous gifts, but try to pay attention to a special "want" that the person has mentioned here and there throughout the year. It's generally a quiet affair with only family.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Happy birthday NK! Hope you have a very nice day!

We usually do something tiny and quiet at home - favorite dinner or maybe take-out and my son helps to bake a cake and make a card. Presents are typically small scale and something that doesn't normally fit into the budget, it depends on the size of the present whether it is from the kids or from the entire family. I totally concur with the gift of time, whether it be time for a nap or reading a book or golf for DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting