Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:03 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times

Advertisements

Try dual enrollment at a local college if there is one near you. She can still be home... she can go to her regular school to finish off those few credits she has to graduate all the meanwhile taking college credits towards her degree. Good way to get a head start...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It might not be a good idea to send her to another culture/country at a younger age unless it's specifically designed for minors and is highly supervised.

Why not? It's fairly common in many cultures to do so.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why not? It's fairly common in many cultures to do so.
Do you have a problem with my suggestion that the program should be specifically for minors and have adequate supervision if she's sent to another country?

Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
The degree of infantilization of teenagers in this thread is absurd.

A century ago people were living on their own at 16 all the time and no one cared. Now everyone freaks out. Get over it.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Gone baby gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Hello, I'm looking for experiences, suggestions, ideas, as it pertains to my daughter who is an 11th grader in High school. After this year she will only have 2 classes remaining as a senior, and she has expressed extreme interest in being done with High School and moving away to college. It is possible for her to take her last two classes at night concurrently starting in January. She is also rather young for her grade so it would mean that she would be out living on her own at age 16.

Our home life hasn't been the easiest so I know that part of it is she wants a fresh start. She is also on the mature side from a mental standpoint and physically as well. If indeed we take this route, what types of things would you do to prepare your daughter for a life away from home at this age.

Thanks,

My daughter, in the very same situation, but with a trust fund and power of attorney, moved away from home out of high school to college Summer Session never to return.

At some point, parents have to suck it up.

It worked out for everyone.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:52 PM

159 posts, read 177,373 times
I graduated HS and started my freshman year of college at 16. I'm a guy and it was a struggle. I always thought I was mature enough but there is no way you can be. You can't make up the lack of time you have behind other people in college from a maturity standpoint. Sure you might be mature in some ways, but not every way.

I would recommend you stop her even if she hates you, it might save lots of hassle. I know guys in college love new freshman classes cause the girls are innocent, and no matter if they consider them mature, won't realize some of the games guys play to get in their pants. She may end up on Maury...

Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
You bring up a good point regarding peer pressure being very strong. I do know she is currently geared more towards aspirations and positive things, but she is young and could still be vulnerable to all sorts of negative influences and peer pressure. My friend's college aged daughter went from being an A student to a heroin addict within 6 months...
I lived in an honors dorm my freshman year of college. It had the highest flunk-out rate of any dorm on campus because a) most of the kids weren't used to freedom and b) everyone else was acting irresponsibly, so why shouldn't the others?

The summer between my junior and senior years of high school, I went to a summer college session. Lived in a dorm (with other high school students) in a city halfway across the country from my home, went to classes with other high school students, undergrads, and graduate students. No one to report to, no one watching me. I had the freedom to travel, and I did. I LOVED the experience, and I behaved responsibly. I've never much cared what others were doing, so peer pressure wasn't an issue.

You know your daughter's maturity level and her personality. Help her choose a college that will work for her personality, help her position herself to find friends who share her beliefs and her work ethic. Then you have to trust her.

I also really like the idea of having her do a semester or a year as a foreign exchange student. That will look great on her college applications, give her some life-changing experiences, and give her freedom with a bit of supervision/help. I wouldn't have been brave enough to do that then.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
I would recommend you stop her even if she hates you, it might save lots of hassle. I know guys in college love new freshman classes cause the girls are innocent, and no matter if they consider them mature, won't realize some of the games guys play to get in their pants. She may end up on Maury...
I saw a LOT of this my freshman year, too. It goes back to her maturity level, or lack thereof.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The degree of infantilization of teenagers in this thread is absurd.

A century ago people were living on their own at 16 all the time and no one cared. Now everyone freaks out. Get over it.
We do but we have science on our side. That darn frontal lobe!

The Teen Brain: It's Just Not Grown Up Yet : NPR

Old 11-14-2014, 11:05 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not that it's relevant to this discussion, but Ivy League and other top tier schools do take young geniuses.

She's not going to be two years ahead. She'll be one year ahead since she's graduating one year early. I wonder when her birthdate is. She says she is the youngest in her class and that she'll be 16 when she starts college. She might be turning 17 at sometime in the fall or winter since many kids turn 18 before they graduate. Maybe the OP will clarify.

For clarification, my daughter is currently 15 and turns 16 in December.

While she has been a good student in the past, and is enrolled in AP classes now, she is not doing all that well at the moment. This semester has been rougher than normal. Ivy league is out of the question. She is a solid individual and a decent student, not not exceptional academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting