Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, it was assumed that I would come in for the duration of the exam. I wouldn't have left, anyway. Not when my child was only 13. That is inappropriate, to me.
You don't trust your doctor and his staff? If not...find one you do.....because kids will open up about what might be series issues more when parents aren't there. It might not even be about sex or drugs. ..but just a health issue tbey think you will pooh - pooh or they are embarrassed by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Quote:
My kids are fully immunized, though we don't get flu shots. My older daughter needed the Tdap booster to enroll in high school and that's why I took her in. Yes, the booster is usually given in middle school, but we were homeschooling at the time, so it was a little late.
Just as an example, the Tdap is very important to be done on time. There have been increasing cases of whooping cough (or pertussis, the P in Tdap) because not enough teenagers and adults are vaccinated making it more likely that babies and toddlers will contract it. Since the three in our household once had to spend time in a hospital for influenza, we will never skip our flu vax ever...yearly every October. Gardisil is now suggested for both boys and girls, starting at age 11. Vaccinations alone are a good enough reason for a yearly wellness visit for both children and adults. Think you don't need a tetanus shot? Try cutting yourself on a piece of dirty metal or stepping on a staple. Do you, as the mom, have your annual gyn visit? Do you do a monthly self breast check? Have you taught your daughter to do so?

Besides vaccinations conditions like early scoliosis, dental disorders, growth problems, and diabetes have all been identified in children that I know who see their pediatricians (or family doctors) on a regular basis. Also, by allowing your children to form a relationship with a medical provider they will be more likely to understand their doctors as a resource. For instance, my daughter wanted to try a vegetarian diet when she was 14. Our doctor was able to provide her with some weekly meal plans and a food diary to keep track of what she was eating and document how she was feeling. Our doctor also reviewed safe driving habits, dating protection for both abuse and safe sex, and lots of sports-related preventative tips over the years.

I see my doctor every year for a wellness exam, vaccinations, mammogram review, and gyn exam. My husband sees his doc for a meds review, protate exam, vaccinations, and fitness questions. So yes, we all see our doctors at least once per year.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Just as an example, the Tdap is very important to be done on time. There have been increasing cases of whooping cough (or pertussis, the P in Tdap) because not enough teenagers and adults are vaccinated making it more likely that babies and toddlers will contract it. Since the three in our household once had to spend time in a hospital for influenza, we will never skip our flu vax ever...yearly every October. Gardisil is now suggested for both boys and girls, starting at age 11. Vaccinations alone are a good enough reason for a yearly wellness visit for both children and adults. Think you don't need a tetanus shot? Try cutting yourself on a piece of dirty metal or stepping on a staple. Do you, as the mom, have your annual gyn visit? Do you do a monthly self breast check? Have you taught your daughter to do so?
As I have mentioned, my kids are fully vaccinated. My oldest daughter was about a year late for the Tdap, but no harm done. None of us has ever had flu shots and we have never had the flu. You do know, don't you, that getting a flu shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu?

Yes, I go to the gynaecologist yearly. I am a breast cancer survivor who found the tumor in a self-exam. I also see my surgeon and oncologist twice a year, and have an annual mammogram AND an annual MRI. My children are aware of this. Thanks for your concern.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You don't trust your doctor and his staff? If not...find one you do.....because kids will open up about what might be series issues more when parents aren't there. It might not even be about sex or drugs. ..but just a health issue tbey think you will pooh - pooh or they are embarrassed by.
It isn't that I don't trust the doctors, but at my children's ages I think it is appropriate for me to be in the exam room with them. At 16, maybe not, but at 13 and younger, yes. At what age do you suggest NOT being present at an exam with your child?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I did the vaccine schedule and when they were sick when they were tiny. Once they got to school they only went when they were sick. Once they reached adulthood they made their own decisions about when to go. My daughter goes only if absolutely necessary and my son seems to always be making appointments with someone for several weird, but so far not serious, issues that he has.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Pretty sure this is required in our school district. One year I forgot to send the form in and they had a doctor come in to the school to check all the kids whose records didn't show they'd had a physical in the last year - whoops.

My son very rarely gets sick, thankfully, so his well visit is when we catch up on everything. They don't do eye exams in our schools anymore, so this is how I realized how bad his eyesight got in the course of one year. It's also one of the few things my insurance company covers at 100%.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
No, it was assumed that I would come in for the duration of the exam. I wouldn't have left, anyway. Not when my child was only 13. That is inappropriate, to me.
If you hadn't of been there a nurse / assistant would have come in as a "witness". They do that for even adults, so, standard practice.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Yes, my kids had well checks with the pediatrician until they were 18.

OP, what about the dentist? I hope your kids had regular dental visits.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you hadn't of been there a nurse / assistant would have come in as a "witness". They do that for even adults, so, standard practice.
Sure, I'm familiar with that, but this idea that doctors should get parents out of the room while they examine young minor children is a little strange to me. By the way, my 13-year-old wanted me in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
OP, what about the dentist? I hope your kids had regular dental visits.
Yes, dentist, orthodontist, opthalmologist. Older daughter has had braces and wears contacts.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Sure, I'm familiar with that, but this idea that doctors should get parents out of the room while they examine young minor children is a little strange to me. By the way, my 13-year-old wanted me in the room.

Yes, dentist, orthodontist, opthalmologist. Older daughter has had braces and wears contacts.
Young, minor children do not always want to tell their doctor in front of their mothers that they are sexually active, thinking about being sexually active, or are trying alcohol, drugs, or tobacco. Some teens are also not comfortable having their privates examined with a parent in the room.

Also, some parents (moms, in particular) are quick to jump in to answer the doctor's questions, not allowing the teens to answer. Doctor asks teenage Betty, "Betty, are you sexually active?" Quiet teen hesitates, and mom blurts, "Betty?! No! She's a good girl. She's not doing any of that stuff yet!" Conversation done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting