Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,298,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Depends. I always worked. Once my dad came in to my room and there I was...counting my shoebox full of money. He was amazed at how much I had. I thought he was proud of my accomplishment, saving that much money but he had other ideas. He insisted I put it in the bank and like a good little girl I did what I was told. He opened the account for me and I dutifully gave him my money every week.

Well, Mother's Day was coming up and I decided to buy my mom a small fountain as a gift. Yes, an expensive present but I earned the money. I went to the bank and found out I could not withdraw money from my own account. I was furious. I got the paperwork to put my name on the account and went to his office. I told him I was waiting for him to sign the papers and I wasn't leaving. After some hemming and hawing, he did. I went to the bank and took out all but $5 and never put another penny in the account. He was very angry with me.

Yes, I should have known better. Should have questioned why I never got statements, etc. But I was a kid!

I did have some friends whose parents charged them and kept the money to apply towards college. Sort of a forced college savings plan.
So sorry yellow!

I had a similar experience. My mother saw my bank statement from my part time job, money that I was saving for college, and she told me flat out that she "needed it" or she would kick me out. She got all hysterical and cried that i wasn't giving it to her "all along" even though she was collecting SSDI for my dad's disability for over a decade and I never learned of this until I was 18.

This was winter of senior year in high school when I started paying her rent. (And it overlapped w "her" SSDI payments.) And she absolutely saved none of it for my college.

But I was the only one I know of whoever paid rent in hs or college. Most people I knew had their tuition paid for, lived rent free, and some got an allowance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,717,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I was required to volunteer or have a part time job. I think that was fair.
But did they take your moneyou or chargeven rent? Keeping a teen busy with a job or volunteer work is quite different than charging them to live in the home.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,883,658 times
I would never think of doing it, and didn't, when my two Sons were teens. Life is tough enough for them as it is, and money is tight when you are young. To burden them even further seems like a really bad idea.

I know some people subscribe to the theory that "I want my kids to earn everything and learn responsibility " but there are lots of other ways for them to do that besides asking them for money.

Nope, would never do it.

Don

Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,991,817 times
My mom was mentally ill and a pretty lousy parent overall, so when I was 15, she threw me out of the house. I got my own apartment, and paid my own rent and utilities from then on. It was a better life for me than living at home.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:35 PM

223 posts, read 322,048 times
I didn't pay rent until I graduated college. I don't think charging rent to high school students is a good idea. However, my mom did make me pay for my own car insurance, cell phone, & social activities, so I got a job at 16. Luckily my mom never asked me for a cent of that money.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,926,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
So sorry yellow!

I had a similar experience. My mother saw my bank statement from my part time job, money that I was saving for college, and she told me flat out that she "needed it" or she would kick me out. She got all hysterical and cried that i wasn't giving it to her "all along" even though she was collecting SSDI for my dad's disability for over a decade and I never learned of this until I was 18.

This was winter of senior year in high school when I started paying her rent. (And it overlapped w "her" SSDI payments.) And she absolutely saved none of it for my college.

But I was the only one I know of whoever paid rent in hs or college. Most people I knew had their tuition paid for, lived rent free, and some got an allowance.

Hold the phone- why are you sorry? she didn't say her dad spent the money-

Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,728,402 times
I was curious because my SO and his brother had to do this. His mother was a boarderline personality disorder and to me it seems crazy. He still is expected to support his mom even though she treats him and others horribly....

Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't know any parents who charged their high school kids rent, but I've been on C-D long enough to know it has happened. I certainly don't think it's common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have never met anyone who charged their high school kids rent or utilities. There may be someone who does, but I haven't encountered anyone.
I agree. I'm 62 years old and I have never met, nor have I heard through my children or relatives of anyone who needed to pay rent or utilities (such as electricity and heat) in HS.

I did have some friends in HS whose parents had serious financial problems where the kids "helped out" by paying for most of their own expenses such as buying clothes, school supplies, school lunches, etc.but no one paid rent. Today a very few kids pay for their own cell phone plans.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,717,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I was curious because my SO and his brother had to do this. His mother was a boarderline personality disorder and to me it seems crazy. He still is expected to support his mom even though she treats him and others horribly....
Does he live with her? If she needs real help he is not required to enable her.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 PM

560 posts, read 1,131,843 times
your child is essentially your slave until they are 18 so yea its weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting