Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times

Advertisements

Toats adorb.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:35 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
Well that's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Many Jewish people do not especially if they are traditionally religious.

Judaism 101: What Do Jews Do on Christmas?
Then you ask for your child to not be put in a stocking. For goodness sakes, it's not that difficult. Also, remember that the vast majority of the people in this country are Christians, and that is going to be reflected in many matters.

(Christians as a whole also don't assume that everyone is a Christian. You live in the South which is a whole other ball game.)

Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I wasn't going to start anything, but since it's already been started, I'll contribute.

The reason that people feel like there is an assumption of Christianity is because of the opt out system. Sure, the Jewish/Muslim/Hindu/etc family can opt out of having baby come home in a Christmas stocking. They are not forced to do it. But if the default assumes that you are Christian unless you specify otherwise, then that is the problem. That is where the assumption comes in - even if you are aware that not everyone is Christian, you are still treating everyone as though they are all Christian until being given specific information to the contrary.

My Jewish relatives definitely do not put up a tree or have stockings (unless they have a mixed household, like us). Some of them do like to put up lights on their house, but that's about as far as it goes. And they are generally not super observant or traditional Jews either.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:02 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzaa View Post
I had my third at home on Christmas Eve ten years ago this year! She didn't come home in a stocking (being born at home ) but I do have a picture of me giving birth next to the christmas tree, maybe that counts .

I love to tell her she was my best christmas present I'll ever have (and she never tires of hearing me say it).
Awesome! My fourth baby was born at home the day after Christmas five years ago. I was hoping for a Christmas baby, but he ended up being a Kwanzaa baby. My new little one was born at home on Thanksgiving this year. We didn't have a tree yet, but I had holiday music playing in the background.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you for saying that. I was thinking the same, tried to be a bit diplomatic, since it's Christmas season. I find it odd that the PP even went to the trouble to look up the hospital's web site, to find out its religious affiliation.

No, Christians don't "just assume everyone is Christian". I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, as I said there's a fair-sized Jewish community there. I don't know how a non-Christian can know what Christians, all of them (us) think. It may come as some surprise to you, but we all knew from a young age that not everyone was a Christian. Most of us even had (gasp!) non-Christian friends.
Yeah, no. That certainly isn't true for all 2+ billion followers within Christendom. There are a great many Christians that truly believe or assume everyone is like them. I know quite a few who fit this bill, and there are many that don't have non-Christian friends. This is especially true in regions that are predominantly Christian, especially the evangelical/conservative variety.

So the idea that Christians, as a whole, know from a young age that everyone isn't like them is patently erroneous. My older daughters have had friends gasp in shock when they discover they don't attend church, believe in eternal torment, Jesus, heaven, the concept of the "devil," or any of Abrahamic theism's deities. Even when I was young I didn't know anyone who wasn't some flavor of Christian. I knew of Jews (and not in a positive light thanks to backward and false ideas brought on by Paulinism), but did not know a Jewish person.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post

I assume anyone who doesn't want their baby in a stocking and hat can just opt out, although most of the non-Christians I know still do typical holiday stuff like hang stockings and get a tree.
Most???

Sorry, But that's something you simply made up. It's not even all Christians that hang stockings and get a tree.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Christians just assume everyone is Christian. They are not. It's not cute to those of us who have these things pushed on us.
Oh, please. Those of us who have lived in diverse neighborhoods do not "assume" everyone is Christian. Hospitals in Southern California, where a Buddhist temple can be across the street from a store front mosque, and neighborhoods are a jumble of colors and creeds, ask the parents if they want a Christmas stocking for their little bundle of joy.

Stereotype much?

p.s. The polite parents say, "No thank you". Easy peasy.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-28-2014 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Yeah, no. That certainly isn't true for all 2+ billion followers within Christendom. There are a great many Christians that truly believe or assume everyone is like them. I know quite a few who fit this bill, and there are many that don't have non-Christian friends. This is especially true in regions that are predominantly Christian, especially the evangelical/conservative variety.

So the idea that Christians, as a whole, know from a young age that everyone isn't like them is patently erroneous. My older daughters have had friends gasp in shock when they discover they don't attend church, believe in eternal torment, Jesus, heaven, the concept of the "devil," or any of Abrahamic theism's deities. Even when I was young I didn't know anyone who wasn't some flavor of Christian. I knew of Jews (and not in a positive light thanks to backward and false ideas brought on by Paulinism), but did not know a Jewish person.
I was talking about the people I grew up with in the Pittsburgh area, where this hospital is located.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Christians just assume everyone is Christian. They are not. It's not cute to those of us who have these things pushed on us.
Presumptuous people assume Christians assume everyone is Christian. See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting