Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Most???

Sorry, But that's something you simply made up. It's not even all Christians that hang stockings and get a tree.
I did some research before my post to see if my personal observations match actual statistics (and they do). No need to make stuff up. 90% of Americans, including 81% of non-Christians celebrate Christmas.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/12/23/christmas-also-celebrated-by-many-non-christians/

Here is the breakdown for non-Christian Americans:
-87% unaffiliated (Atheist, Agnostic, etc)
-76% Buddhists
-73% Hindus
-32% Jewish
-some unspecified percentage of Muslims

Of course, anyone should be able to opt out of a Christmas stocking. It would be rude to force newborns home in stockings if it conflicts with religious beliefs. I was pointing out that many non-Christians in the US (including "most" of the non-Christians I personally know) do celebrate Christmas.

Last edited by passwithoutatrace; 12-28-2014 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 11:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
My twin Sons were born in Pittsburgh 44 years ago and they came home in stockings. I have a picture here of that somewhere. Mine were born Dec 2nd but were premature so they stayed in the hospital for a few weeks until they gained some weight. We brought them home just before Christmas.

I think they were born at St. Francis though.

Don

Old 12-29-2014, 05:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I did some research before my post to see if my personal observations match actual statistics (and they do). No need to make stuff up. 90% of Americans, including 81% of non-Christians celebrate Christmas.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/12/23/christmas-also-celebrated-by-many-non-christians/

-76% Buddhists
-73% Hindus
-32% Jewish

Of course, anyone should be able to opt out of a Christmas stocking. It would be rude to force newborns home in stockings if it conflicts with religious beliefs. I was pointing out that many non-Christians in the US (including "most" of the non-Christians I personally know) do celebrate Christmas.
I took a look at a few sites that cover your link and basically Americans don't celebrate it as a religious event, but rather as a cultural event that spans from Thanksgiving to New Years Day. Many of the questions that got high percentages were secular (like shopping more due to better sales) and the ones that got low percentages were religious in nature. What was strange was that each site that covered the poll covered it from a different directions and weighed things of what to print. The secular sites made it sound more religious and the religious sites made it sound more secular; go figure.

Quote:
A few cultural traditions appear to be losing popularity. While 81 percent of Americans sent Christmas cards as children, just 65 percent will make the effort this year. Only 79 percent of Americans will haul an evergreen into their living rooms this December, compared with the 92 percent who put up a tree as children.
Ninety percent of Americans will celebrate Christmas this year - even 80 percent of non-Christians - U.s. - News - Catholic Online

The "90% report" seems to have spanned a few years as it was used as far back as 2011 as a title. But as I stated earlier each site treated the information differently.

http://www.larryhollon.com/wp-conten...iday-Study.pdf

And then there is the Pew Report itself:
Celebrating Christmas and the Holidays, Then and Now | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post

-76% Buddhists
-73% Hindus
-32% Jewish

Nana053 fails to realize that many Christmas holiday symbols are secular. 16th century Germans brought the tradition of a decorated tree indoors, but prior to that it was largely a pagan ritual. The bright red stocking is even more recent and evolved from using everyday hosiery. Smithsonianmag.com has an interesting article with some great photos. History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

If the children were being swaddled and displayed in mangers, or sent home with a nativity, then I would see the validity in her complaint. There's enough negativity in this world which nana053 helps further through her myopic, unsubstantiated statements.

Perhaps she should take a lesson from her Hindu daughter-in-law and grandchildren.

From the Hindu American Web site :
Quote:
Hinduism is the world’s oldest living religion. It is a rich collection of hundreds of spiritual and philosophical traditions followed throughout Asia for more than 5000 years. Most traditions within Hinduism share certain distinctive, core beliefs despite the absence of an identifiable beginning in history, single founder, central religious establishment or sole authoritative scripture. Two of these core beliefs are that of tolerance and pluralism. While tolerance and pluralism are valued by many religions, these concepts are the very essence of Hinduism and are expressed through the diversity of Hindu practice and centuries of peaceful coexistence of various faiths.While tolerance and pluralism are valued by many religions, these concepts are the very essence of Hinduism and are expressed through the diversity of Hindu practice and centuries of peaceful coexistence of various faiths.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Actually, every year at Christmas, CD gets bombarded with atheists making posts about how Christianity has co-opted many symbols of other cultures. There's no way anyone could not know that if they post on CD.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
From their Website, it does not appear that they are a Christian hospital. What do they do if the parents are Jewish or Muslim and don't want a Santa themed outfit for their infants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Christians just assume everyone is Christian. They are not. It's not cute to those of us who have these things pushed on us.
If they were being sent home in a swaddle with a cross on it, you'd have a good point. There is nothing Christian about Santa or stockings.

Quote:
Most???

Sorry, But that's something you simply made up. It's not even all Christians that hang stockings and get a tree.
Well, she did say "most of my non-Christian friends" so it isn't "made up" It is her own personal experience of which you know nothing.

Way to make a thread about something cute into something hostile and divisive, people.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
(1)If they were being sent home in a swaddle with a cross on it, you'd have a good point. There is nothing Christian about Santa or stockings.

(2)Well, she did say "most of my non-Christian friends" so it isn't "made up" It is her own personal experience of which you know nothing.

(3)Way to make a thread about something cute into something hostile and divisive, people.
(1) But Santa and stockings are associated with Christmas and nothing else.

(2) Maybe it was a poor choice of words by her or maybe it meant a little more than half. But I've been to 100's of homes across the planet, that even include Reform Jews, and if both parents were Jewish there was no tree or stockings.

(3) On CD the thread takes whatever direction it takes, but calling non-Christians hostile and divisive actually shows what you are for stating so. Keep in mind that I've never been to a Hospital in the US, that didn't ask religion at check-in. So the nurses should have known.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
(1) But Santa and stockings are associated with Christmas and nothing else.

(2) Maybe it was a poor choice of words by her or maybe it meant a little more than half. But I've been to 100's of homes across the planet, that even include Reform Jews, and if both parents were Jewish there was no tree or stockings.

(3) On CD the thread takes whatever direction it takes, but calling non-Christians hostile and divisive actually shows what you are for stating so. Keep in mind that I've never been to a Hospital in the US, that didn't ask religion at check-in. So the nurses should have known.
1) if everything associated with Christmas from the tree to Santa to the elves to stockings is christian, then why do people talk of a war on Christmas and talk about keeping the Christ in Christmas? A little googling would show you none of these things is Christian.

2) you assume when she said nonchristians she meant people of other religions. What about athiests, agnostics? Why do you only mention your experience with jewish people, and why would your experience outweigh hers?

3) I said a couple posters turned a nice thread hostile and divisive. I didn't call anyone hostile or divisive. What makes you think the parents weren't asked? No one in the article complained, only posters here.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 12-29-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 03:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Moderator cut: in closing

This thread has turned into a religious debate and not allowed here.

Happy New Year everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting