Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I've had it. Because of my job I go to the post office twice a week or more. The things I need to do cannot be done in the lobby or via a computer, as so most postal chores today can be.

I am never in any post office at any time of day that there aren't children causing an uproar. I have even tried going to neighborhoods where a preponderance of residents are retired and still there are little kids screaming and running around while the people responsible for them are standing in line staring at the ceiling, acting as if they don't know the tiny hooligans.

Most post offices are in buildings that exacerbate noise, so children's screams and shrieks bouncing off marble floors or cement block walls seem twice as loud as they seem outdoors. I have seen running children knock over elderly people. I've seen them slam doors on customers. I saw one running boy ram right into a wheelchair and obviously scare the person in it. Their parents/grandparents act as if nothing is happening.

Most post offices today sell greeting cards and mailing supplies in the lobby, Many people purposefully position their children in these areas and allow them to "play" with the items on display. Little kids pull out cards from the display racks and throw them on the floor, bend them, replace them in the wrong holders, etc. Those displays are always a mess and it's not the post office employees' fault. Often the cards are dirty or sticky. I like to buy cards at the PO not only because it's convenient but because I like to support this organization that does a job that could never be done so effectively by the private sector. The post office is unfairly treated by Congress, which requires it to fund its retirement program unlike any in corporate America, so I like to do my bit to make sure they get my greeting card purchases, too. But these poorly behaved children are ruining the PO's inventory.

Seriously, parents, grandparents, and nannies: PLEASE! Is it too much to ask that you control your children so U.S. post offices are not so loud and chaotic and government property is not being destroyed on a daily basis? No one likes to stand in line but your unwillingness to make your charges behave makes the experience far more unpleasant than it needs to be.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
You are only seeing a snapshot of the moment. Post offices are a horrible place for kids. The wait is forever, it's small and cramped.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Trust me. The parents of those kids are having a worse time than you are.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Trust me. The parents of those kids are having a worse time than you are.
I get that. But it doesn't give them the right to spread the pain around. And certainly not a right to destroy government property. Greeting cards are at least $3 each these days. I've seen kids ruin five or six at a pop.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Not another one of these! Sigh. Well...learn to tune them out. The skill will serve you well.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
bring a squirt gun,,,start hitting the unruly kids

Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
No. How about, instead, you stay home and never leave the house so that the messiness of human beings never troubles you again.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
I hate bringing my kid to the usps. The lines are always ridiculous and if you have young kids it sucks.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times
When they scream either go, "Shh!" or say "Hush!". When you see them messing with display, go over there and pretend like you're looking for something and loudly say, "excuse me".

Old 02-22-2015, 09:12 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Honestly, I've had it. Because of my job I go to the post office twice a week or more. The things I need to do cannot be done in the lobby or via a computer, as so most postal chores today can be.

I am never in any post office at any time of day that there aren't children causing an uproar. I have even tried going to neighborhoods where a preponderance of residents are retired and still there are little kids screaming and running around while the people responsible for them are standing in line staring at the ceiling, acting as if they don't know the tiny hooligans.

Most post offices are in buildings that exacerbate noise, so children's screams and shrieks bouncing off marble floors or cement block walls seem twice as loud as they seem outdoors. I have seen running children knock over elderly people. I've seen them slam doors on customers. I saw one running boy ram right into a wheelchair and obviously scare the person in it. Their parents/grandparents act as if nothing is happening.

Most post offices today sell greeting cards and mailing supplies in the lobby, Many people purposefully position their children in these areas and allow them to "play" with the items on display. Little kids pull out cards from the display racks and throw them on the floor, bend them, replace them in the wrong holders, etc. Those displays are always a mess and it's not the post office employees' fault. Often the cards are dirty or sticky. I like to buy cards at the PO not only because it's convenient but because I like to support this organization that does a job that could never be done so effectively by the private sector. The post office is unfairly treated by Congress, which requires it to fund its retirement program unlike any in corporate America, so I like to do my bit to make sure they get my greeting card purchases, too. But these poorly behaved children are ruining the PO's inventory.

Seriously, parents, grandparents, and nannies: PLEASE! Is it too much to ask that you control your children so U.S. post offices are not so loud and chaotic and government property is not being destroyed on a daily basis? No one likes to stand in line but your unwillingness to make your charges behave makes the experience far more unpleasant than it needs to be.

Why stop with the post office? I raised four and believe me, they were NEVER EVER allowed to get out of line. We belive in firm but, reasonable discipline. Most mothers and fathers I observe believe their kids are all unique and special to all of us. They take them everywhere and refuse to give up their single lifestyle. No sacrifice is the motto here.

They will not be denied the dining out no matter how unruly the kid or disruptive they are to those around them. It's the me me generation and they are full in force.

My wife is a flight attendant and when she is not flying she works in a daycare. The stories I could tell you would sicken you. You can't believe how some of these parents treat their kids and where their priorities are but, then again, perhaps it wouldn't surprise as many as I think. Vacations and big shiny vehicles are waaaaay ahead of watching their kids. Don't believe me, observe any daycare entry for a few minutes.

Those same kids grow up and guess what they EXPECT from society. Sooner or later, the words giving, sharing, caring, consideration and manners will be all but eliminated from Websters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting