Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times

Advertisements

Hello, she is 1 month away from turning 13, and is starting to show signs of attitude ..

when asking her to do the dishes, she rolls her eyes, makes a face, then walks away to do them

when calmly showing her certain mistakes about dishes, she get defensive, and frustrated and talks back with an attitude, I then politely tell her that I talk to her with respect, and expect her to talk to me the same way, which works, for about a day.

then the next day, she's right back at it again ..

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM

217 posts, read 247,143 times
Hahaha, better get used to it. Teenage years are the worst. If all you are getting is a little "attitude" over chores consider yourself very lucky. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
what mistake is she making with dishes?

Maybe bite your tongue on the little things and still give praise.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:01 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Yeah. Buckle up, you're in for a rough ride.

This is about the age where girls turn in their halos for horns. Try not to take it personally and continue to be there for her when she really needs you. Eventually (in about 8 years) she will realize that you really do know a few things and she will be on good terms with you again.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
what mistake is she making with dishes?

Maybe bite your tongue on the little things and still give praise.

we don't have a dishwasher, there is dried food on the dishes on an almost daily basis, this just started recently though, normally the dishes are just fine ..

I'm seeing a pattern on sloppy chores, along with an attitude when asked about them ..

I guess I will just "get used to it" and wait 8 years for this to be over lol.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
You remember when she was 3, and a hellion, and you just had to realize it was age appropriate and keep saying no and putting her in timeout until she turned 4 and learned how to be less of a hellion due to all of your efforts?

I haven't raised a teen yet, but I'm told it's the same way. It's completely normal for kids, girls especially, to develop major attitude at this age. It's a healthy part of their development. However, it's not something you are supposed to shrug off and ignore, you still have a be a parent and try to correct the behavior every time you see it, consistently. After a few years of consistent teaching from you, she will start to grow out of the worst parts.

I remember being sweet and wonderful until about 14. Then turning into crazy horrible hormonal attitude defiant teen girl. My dad stayed on me through that whole time, I got grounded a lot, but he was also very understanding and would explain things to me, explain why what I was doing was wrong and what the right way was. I think I turned into a human being again round about 16, and credit him with the fact that I am a well-adjusted successful adult now You just gotta tighten your belt and work your way through it.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:16 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Just starting? My daughter is 8 1/2 and he's had attitude since she was 5!

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
you really don't want to raise a shrinking violet- later in life they are most susceptible to tolerating a man abusing her

when my son started getting an attitude- I didn't make it into a test of wills..i sat him down and asked what was really bothering him ... and why did I deserve that "tude?????

if you want me to treat you more age appropriately, then "act" that way

the only other thing I have to add is I'm glad I had a son

Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
It will get better, in about 15 years! Once she is old enough to drive it gets even more interesting

Last edited by froglipz; 06-07-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
Here is the rule for my 15 and 12 year old boys: " You choose to have a bad attitude I'll add another chore to your daily list". It seems to have cut the bad attitudes down to nil. It also removed the need to nag on them about their attitude. My kids know very well I will not tolerate bad attitudes, disrespectful "looks", and big sighs to state how they feel.

Side note: I have a bunch of silver platters that were well-shined in my home until my boys finally understood that I meant EVERY WORD of what I said that bad attitudes will be followed up with extra chores every single time I see or hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting