Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,629,308 times

Advertisements

As a general rule, it's shocking to see that no matter how technologically advanced we've become, instead of them being 'social networking sites' - they tend to make us anti-social...

I'm very sorry your daughter is going through this... kids that age can be cruel beyond belief. I pray that she finds a real TRUE friend who will be there for her (as in the definition of a true friend)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,947,306 times
People telling you that you should simply disconnect your daughter from social media websites does nothing to correct or fix anything.... does nothing more then try to hide and avoid the issue in hopes it goes away. Besides, she'll continue to use it no matter what you say or do and taking that away is like you're punishing her when she's doing nothing wrong. Best thing to do is to sit down with her and talk about the situation, try and figure out ways it can be handled as maturely as possible. If talking to these so-called friends doesn't work then it's time for new ones, and if the bullying is troubling enough then you need to have a sit down with the parents of these kids. I'm sure most parents of these "problem children" think they have the sweetest little angels but if you have all these posts/tweets documented and show them then hopefully these other parents will help take action.

Your daughter just needs to stay strong, stay true to herself, and don't get sucked into any bad situations. These bullies like to social media as bait.... she needs to do what she can not to get caught in it.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,341,154 times
OP, as someone who dealt with a similar situation in high school (I graduated in 2012), I'd like to offer my advice. Yes, your daughter will face ramifications when you report their behavior. Girls can be BRUTAL! Is there anyway she can go to private school and join another soccer team? Other kids will label her and tease her as a tattletale. It will not be easy.

Personally if I were in your shoes, I'd consider suing if my jurisdiction won't prosecute and I'd have my child move schools. If you're wondering what charges I wonder consider, they would be: harassment, emotional distress w/ intentional infliction, and defamation (obviously this depends on if they are saying things that fit the criteria for defamation). I'd also get restraining orders & no-contact orders for my child.

I'd ring the doorbell of the parties involved and give the parents with copies of the cruel words that their child has made online. I would then serve them with the papers and walk away.

I'd come to court with a paper trail. I'd document all of the cyberbullying. I'd record all conversations with the guidance counselor & parents (in my state, you can do this without notifying the other party).

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Get her off the social media sites.
Why? Her parents allow her to use social media and that's her choice. Why should her daughter stop doing something that enjoys because others are possibly breaking the law and violating Facebook's TOS (assuming it's just Facebook)?

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 AM

11,654 posts, read 13,060,461 times
Hire a hitman.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:00 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,198,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
OP, as someone who dealt with a similar situation in high school (I graduated in 2012), I'd like to offer my advice. Yes, your daughter will face ramifications when you report their behavior. Girls can be BRUTAL! Is there anyway she can go to private school and join another soccer team? Other kids will label her and tease her as a tattletale. It will not be easy.

Personally if I were in your shoes, I'd consider suing if my jurisdiction won't prosecute and I'd have my child move schools. If you're wondering what charges I wonder consider, they would be: harassment, emotional distress w/ intentional infliction, and defamation (obviously this depends on if they are saying things that fit the criteria for defamation). I'd also get restraining orders & no-contact orders for my child.

I'd ring the doorbell of the parties involved and give the parents with copies of the cruel words that their child has made online. I would then serve them with the papers and walk away.

I'd come to court with a paper trail. I'd document all of the cyberbullying. I'd record all conversations with the guidance counselor & parents (in my state, you can do this without notifying the other party).

Why? Her parents allow her to use social media and that's her choice. Why should her daughter stop doing something that enjoys because others are possibly breaking the law and violating Facebook's TOS (assuming it's just Facebook)?

This is good advice ^^^^^ as well and pinkman sorry you had to go through that .

Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,495,415 times
I don't agree with taking away the girl's social media access, or taking her out of the activities she enjoys just because of the bullies participation. She didn't do anything wrong, so why should she be punished?

My focus would be stopping the bullying, not isolating my kid. Starting with the parents. Some parents may actually be unaware of their child's behavior. None of us know exactly what goes on with our kids unless we're with them every minute. Perhaps there is something going on in this kid's life that's causing her to lash out. It might be helpful to the parents to know so they can do something about it.

If that fails, school administrators, even police if necessary. At most, I would block the bullies from her social media and closely monitor it. But this girl has done nothing to deserve to lose her iPhone and activities.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 AM

64 posts, read 79,616 times
Thanks so much for all your replies and advice. We've approached the guidance counselor at her school without mentioning names and she is going to speak to our daughter directly for more information. My daughter has blocked the four girls from her phone. Her wallpaper on her phone is a picture of the 5 of them together heading out to the 6th grade dance last June. All smiles and arms around each other. She's deleted the photo. She wants to stick with the play and soccer and luckily with both there are other girls she can interact with though they're not her good friends.

Spring break is in a few weeks and we are going on vacation - before this all transpired we actually considered taking a couple of the girls with us. Not.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:06 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,973,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies and advice. We've approached the guidance counselor at her school without mentioning names and she is going to speak to our daughter directly for more information. My daughter has blocked the four girls from her phone. Her wallpaper on her phone is a picture of the 5 of them together heading out to the 6th grade dance last June. All smiles and arms around each other. She's deleted the photo. She wants to stick with the play and soccer and luckily with both there are other girls she can interact with though they're not her good friends.

Spring break is in a few weeks and we are going on vacation - before this all transpired we actually considered taking a couple of the girls with us. Not.

Actually...you might find these girls are very different when they are not in the presence of the group. If your daughter regrets the loss of the friendships, which is certainly not her fault, try one-on-one time instead. Without peer pressure, things may be very different.

If you decide to go this route, I'd suggest a family activity in which you are present - not hovering, but around. A daytrip to the beach, mountains, local recreational spot or activity would work better than a movie or other activity during which little conversation is required. Treat the visitor normally and courteously. Ask her about herself a little bit - not intrusively - compliment her on something.

Since your daughter has a background of close friendship with these four girls, that's in her favor. Girls blow hot and cold at this age - close friends can be lured into bullying by peer pressure, yet fine, when one on one. Remove the peers, and see what happens.

Also, make sure your daughter's physical appearance is consistent with current middle school styles. Kids can be cruel about things like height, lack of physical maturity, acne, glasses, a bad haircut or "babyish" hairstyle or clothing, even jewelry that doesn't conform.

Back in the day, a young girl in my family suffered because her mother didn't realize all her daughter's peers were wearing bras by seventh grade - the girl's need was emotional and social rather than physical, as she was the youngest in the class and small for her age, and she was too shy to tell her mother, but severe bullying took place in the unsupervised locker room after a last-hour all-girls gym class. As the kids went home afterwards, no teacher saw the tear-stains, and the clueless gym teacher did paperwork and never ventured into the locker room or even got close enough to overhear the verbal abuse.

Other things took place - long-term homework assignments and almost-due class projects were stolen from the bullies' victims in that locker room and the culprits were never identified and punished, although these incidents were reported. The gym teacher lectured the girls, all of whom predictably denied stealing, but she still never supervised the kids, claiming they needed their privacy (privacy to steal??). The principal was completely ineffectual and did nothing. The teacher whose assignments were stolen did grant the victims two additional weeks to re-do the assignment, but refused to allow them to examine the other girls' work, which would have been copies of the victims' original work, thus identifying the thief or thieves.

My family member says she found herself looking around at a recent class reunion, wondering if the thief was present and if she had any remorse after all these years. Kids who fall victim to this sort of thing don't forget it, and it rankles. Makes me mad, too, on behalf of that eleven or twelve-year-old girl who suffered so unnecessarily from others' cruelty and from negligent adults who negated their responsibilities.

This was long before the Internet age, which of course has only offered new avenues of torture to bullying kids.

You really do want to put a stop to it, or at least do what you can so your daughter will know you have her back.

One more thing - one of the primary leaders of the bullies (whom I also knew) in the instance with my family member was heavily pressured by her mother to be the perfect young girl - straight As, recognition of all kinds, beautiful clothing, cheerleader, class officer, later beauty pageants, academic success, leads in all school plays, and so on. The girl reacted by lashing out against others whom she perceived as not adhering to her mother's standards in one way or another. This was not addressed, nor was the inappropriateness of her mother's extreme pressure and overly high expectations, with eventual dire and very tragic results.

It was more subtle by high school, but the snarkiness and superiority were still there much of the time. Meanwhile, her mother was feeding her uppers so she could pull all-nighters to complete homework assignments and projects that would outshine those of all others (mom did a LOT of the work involved). She was smoking by age fourteen, had a very brash manner, was going from one boy to another (actually, this started back in sixth grade), popular without being well-liked.

She toned down the ugly attitude considerably and became more approachable during her last couple of high school years, after being involved with kids (including me) outside her usual social circle in school plays and other activities, became better liked as a result, took the grand tour of Europe after finishing high school (along with Mama), graduated from college despite having married a rising young professional at the end of her junior year, worked in broadcasting along with a locally prominent TV personality who fathered a major American movie star (then a ring bearer in her huge and elaborate wedding, ironically), eventually had a couple of kids - and took her life in a horrific manner at age 30.

While she was dying, she told others that she had failed at everything she had ever done, "even this"...as she didn't die immediately.

Putting a stop to bullying, and addressing the true causes behind it may save a life. There were so many warning signs in the tragic case cited above...so many people knew much of what was happening at home to the chief bully, some did speak to her mother - only to be brushed aside. I wonder what might have happened had the message been delivered more forcefully...if the girl had been shown another way. There were indications of the person she could have been, minus all the extreme pressure. But her mother's values were so skewed that she had little chance, and while other suffered at her hands, she herself was the most tragic victim.

So take a closer look at those four kids that used to be your daughter's best friends, and reach out to whichever one seems to need it the most. You never know - intervention of this kind just might save both a friendship and a life.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,534,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Making your daughter get rid of her devices or making her stay off social media won't fix anything.
I beg to differ. A temporary removal from all that will fix everything.

Kids grow so fast...in 6 months, all of this will be forgotten. Parents are actually afraid of their kids, of 'harming' their social lives. That is NUTS. You don't need any type of "phone" to have a social life, esp at 12-13 years old. Kids always manage to find and befriend each other. A change of scenery is just what this young lady needs. OP - get her a flip phone for 6 months!

By next fall, when school starts again, return the smart phone. This girl will be a good deal more mature, and so will her friends. Nobody will be 'ruining' anything for her...just saving the poor kid some grief!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,341,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This is good advice ^^^^^ as well and pinkman sorry you had to go through that .
Why, thank you! It's okay. The majority of them already have criminal records and a lot of them have drinking issues, a kid, and a spouse to deal with, and a few of them were suing each other on Judge Mathis last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting