Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 PM

51 posts, read 61,525 times

Advertisements

Parent of a 16 year old boy. I really want him to get a job over the summer so he doesn't sit at home and play computer games all day. I think earning his own money will bring him great satisfaction and teach him responsibility. Although he says he wants to work, he has not put much effort into applying anywhere.

Do you guys insist your teenager work over summer? If they drag their feet on it do you then just let them play games all day or do you then start disconnecting the gadgets? I really don't want to resort to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Mine always held summer jobs. If for some reason they chose not to look for one (didn't happen, they all wanted to work), I would have put them to work at home. Weeding, painting, washing the car, etc, to the point where they would have realized they might as well get paid for their labor.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Mine always held summer jobs. If for some reason they chose not to look for one (didn't happen, they all wanted to work), I would have put them to work at home. Weeding, painting, washing the car, etc, to the point where they would have realized they might as well get paid for their labor.
This is a great idea!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
" Summer job or video games over summer? "

No 'or' necessary... he can do both!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Ok, so let's say I do this and he flat out refuses to do the assigned chores? What then? You see, we have been having some power struggles over the last year. I know teenagers start trying to gain their own independence but the end result is me feeling like I am walking on eggshells around him. He seems to confuse parenting with control... like I'm getting some personal satisfaction out of "making" him do something for me, whatever that something may be.

So I ask... if a teen refuses to do those assigned chores (because he refuses to get a job), then what? It seems my only options are (1) let him do whatever he wants and play as many games as he wants , or (2) variations of disconnecting him from the internet when I think he's been on too long.

And I agree with you Pitt Chick... he can do both, just WILL he?

Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,712,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbyrd View Post
Parent of a 16 year old boy. I really want him to get a job over the summer so he doesn't sit at home and play computer games all day. I think earning his own money will bring him great satisfaction and teach him responsibility. Although he says he wants to work, he has not put much effort into applying anywhere.

Do you guys insist your teenager work over summer? If they drag their feet on it do you then just let them play games all day or do you then start disconnecting the gadgets? I really don't want to resort to that.
Never had to insist...she always wanted to. Have you offered suggustions and help with his job applications? If this is his first time filling them out he might need some guidence.

Oh....and se played plenty of video games to...lol.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
It doesn't have to be either or. When we were kids, we didn't have jobs until we were 15 or 16, but that didn't mean we were allowed to sit in the house and play computer games all day. We had tennis lessons, swim lessons, playing outside with her friends in the park, travel to other countries or other states, reading books, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbyrd View Post
Ok, so let's say I do this and he flat out refuses to do the assigned chores? What then? You see, we have been having some power struggles over the last year. I know teenagers start trying to gain their own independence but the end result is me feeling like I am walking on eggshells around him. He seems to confuse parenting with control... like I'm getting some personal satisfaction out of "making" him do something for me, whatever that something may be.

So I ask... if a teen refuses to do those assigned chores (because he refuses to get a job), then what? It seems my only options are (1) let him do whatever he wants and play as many games as he wants , or (2) variations of disconnecting him from the internet when I think he's been on too long.

And I agree with you Pitt Chick... he can do both, just WILL he?
If you are having power struggles with your child, I don't understand why he even has access to video games any. More. The first thing I would do with my kids started giving me issues is take away every single thing in their room besides a mattress.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,025 times
Yes, even if he worked full-time/40 hours a week this summer (which, with the type of jobs that are realistic for someone his age to get, is unlikely) there would still be plenty of time for video games.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you are having power struggles with your child, I don't understand why he even has access to video games any. More. The first thing I would do with my kids started giving me issues is take away every single thing in their room besides a mattress.
Oh believe me, I have thought about this. I know he isn't owed all these luxuries he has, that's for sure. I certainly know I CAN do it, but I think it will backfire on me. Because of our power struggles he now seems like he has no patience for any conflict at all. If a discussion is not going the direction he wants it to go in he basically shuts me out right quick. Today he didn't like our discussion and he went to bed and took a nap - he did this just to escape the conversation ..that bothers me.

He is currently in therapy for depression, although his therapist says he doesn't have classic depression but rather has trouble managing his feelings when he gets overwhelmed. He seems to get overwhelmed so easily and then not want to deal with anything, which is why I'm now having trouble pushing anything unless he's totally on board...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting