Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
So my question is.. was 'ADD/ODD' always a thing...? Did kids in the past have it to such a degree? Because it seems like every other kid now has either ADD/ODD (or some other behavior disorder). What's the deal..? Is there something causing more of them to be born with screwy brains.. or is at least SOME of it due to spineless parenting techniques...?

One thing I do notice now is kids getting away with murder. They keep pushing boundaries, and so many parents give them none. Parents allow them to be the boss & call the shots. The kids seem to be free to do whatever they want, run around & be as loud as they want, they're taught to be rude and just sit around being entertained all day. This stuff was usually not allowed in the past. How can you not think there is SOME connection, in at least SOME of these ADD/ODD cases- with lack of strong parenting skills..?
I suspect this has always been around, but that kids who were like this back in the days before the dx were often kicked out of their homes and lived on their own.

I do not notice what you do in regard to children being taught to be rude, to sit around and to be entertained all day either.

Kids are often allowed to run around and be loud because we accept that children are children. As long as that happens in appropriate places, there should not be a problem with it.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) | myVMC

Quote:
ODD is one of the most common childhood behaviour disorders. About 10.2% of all children will develop ODD, with the condition occurring slightly more commonly in boys (11%) than girls (9%). The true rate of ODD is still debated. Commonly, ODD is quoted as affecting between 2 and 16% of all children.
Is there a relationship to parenting? Yes, of course, which is why parents and families are treated.

Quote:
Parent therapy is often considered to be the most important part of ODD therapy.

Parent therapy involves several points:

Parents are given information about their child’s development and needs at different ages
Parents must establish realistic expectations of their children
Parents must monitor their children’s behaviour and develop pro-social behaviour
Parents must develop rules and limits for their children and logical consequences if these rules are broken
Parents must clearly communicate these rules and limits to their children and must consistently enforce
these rules

Parents must spend quality time with their children
Both parents must work together to provide the most consistent parenting

It has been found that parent therapy has significant long term benefits for both the child and the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I suspect this has always been around, but that kids who were like this back in the days before the dx were often kicked out of their homes and lived on their own.

I do not notice what you do in regard to children being taught to be rude, to sit around and to be entertained all day either.

Kids are often allowed to run around and be loud because we accept that children are children. As long as that happens in appropriate places, there should not be a problem with it.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) | myVMC

Is there a relationship to parenting? Yes, of course, which is why parents and families are treated.
There is no way that 10% of the population has ODD. It's probably closer to 1-2%. ADHD is probably only around 3-7%and that is much more commonly diagnosed. The CDC says around 10% of children are diagnosed, and the worldwide estimate is around 7%.

Last edited by Meyerland; 07-01-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
There is no way that 10% of the population has ODD. It's probably closer to 1-2%. ADHD is probably only around 3-7%and that is much more commonly diagnosed. The CDC says around 10% of children are diagnosed, and the worldwide estimate is around 7%.
You are probably correct and there is no way the docs know the actual prevalence, but ASD is now up to 1 in 68 which is close to 1%. ADHD is comorbid with ODD and with ASD in many cases.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You are probably correct and there is no way the docs know the actual prevalence, but ASD is now up to 1 in 68 which is close to 1%. ADHD is comorbid with ODD and with ASD in many cases.
thanks for posting this.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magritte25 View Post
i know two people who probably had odd or adhd in school. I'm nearly forty years old. I know for a fact these two boys were beaten by their fathers. They were constantly in the principal's office, sitting in the hallway and otherwise routinely punished and disciplined.

One of them is now serving a life sentence for homicide.

The other is a raging drug addict and alcoholic who hasn't amounted to much.

This^^^is usually the type of thing that happens to people with untreated mental health issues. We have always had addicts, criminals, homeless people and people who just couldn't fit into society. I believe the majority of these people have some type of mental health issue.
^ truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerland View Post
you can probably say that about adhd or autism, but not odd. Those both have been diagnosed in the past when there were issues but no one really knew quite what was going on. Language processing disordrs were sometimes labeled as autism. Sometimes the label was given because that was the only way to get services. It's gotten better in the last 5 years or so.

It's very rare to be diagnosed with odd.
^ truth

Old 07-02-2015, 01:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Some of these posters really get into their graphic descriptions of beating children. It creeps me out.
Same here. They almost sound gleeful. Definitely creepy.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Moderator cut: delete

I'm amazed that some people can't see the difference in a spanking and beatings/abuse. Good luck talking with your teen about his or her feelings over and over instead of applying discipline. Maybe they'll listen, but if they don't, just lock yourself in your bedroom once the teen gets bigger than you.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-03-2015 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: deleted your rude and off topic comment

Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

I'm amazed that some people can't see the difference in a spanking and beatings/abuse. Good luck talking with your teen about his or her feelings over and over instead of applying discipline. Maybe they'll listen, but if they don't, just lock yourself in your bedroom once the teen gets bigger than you.
1)Moderator cut: orphaned
2) My rather conservative father taught my rather conservative self how to think, and how to discern truth from propaganda. And a whole lot of discerning truth has to do with science. And not just pop science, but true science using the scientific method and publishing experiments and results in peer reviewed scientific literature, where other scientists then repeat experiments and publish results, and then other scientists conduct meta-studies on the scientific studies, etc etc. Eventually a body of evidence has built up to the point where a conclusion is as close to the truth as you're going to get. Truth is not "whatever my opinion happens to be". Truth is science.

3) Scientific studies and meta-studies have come to the conclusion that spanking, as a form of discipline, does more harm than good in the long run.

"Longitudinal studies show that spanking increases aggression in any child, no matter what their background or what the common practices of their community are (see Berlin et al., 2009; Gershoff et al., 2012)." https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s-bad-all-kids

"Harsh corporal punishment in the study was defined as at least one spanking a month for more than three years, frequently done with objects such as a belt or paddle. Researchers found children who were regularly spanked had less gray matter in certain areas of the prefrontal cortex that have been linked to depression, addiction and other mental health disorders, the study authors say.
The researchers also found "significant correlations" between the amount of gray matter in these brain regions and the children's performance on an IQ test. " Effects of spanking on kids' brains - CNN.com

"While conducting the meta-analysis, which included 62 years of collected data, Gershoff looked for associations between parental use of corporal punishment and 11 child behaviors and experiences, including several in childhood (immediate compliance, moral internalization, quality of relationship with parent, and physical abuse from that parent), three in both childhood and adulthood (mental health, aggression, and criminal or antisocial behavior) and one in adulthood alone (abuse of own children or spouse).
Gershoff found "strong associations" between corporal punishment and all eleven child behaviors and experiences. Ten of the associations were negative such as with increased child aggression and antisocial behavior. The single desirable association was between corporal punishment and increased immediate compliance on the part of the child." http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas.../spanking.aspx

4) There are many, many ways to discipline a teen that has nothing to do with hitting them, and nothing to do with "talking about their feelings". How about removing their allowance, their car keys, their phone. Restricting the computer to homework only. Using time-outs and other restrictions of privileges to teach them how to behave before they get bigger than you. Showing them examples of the long term consequences of their behavior.

5) Or, you can stick your fingers in your ears and sing *la-la-la you're just WRONG because I SAID SO!!* Which, if you are currently a parent of small children, is fine with me, because then my children will have an advantage over yours when they are adults and in the real world. And I'm all for anything that gives my children the advantage.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-03-2015 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: deleted responses to orphaned quotes

Old 07-02-2015, 01:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
My son has ADHD, which first manifested itself as delayed speech and avoiding eye contact. The more confrontational the situation, the more he avoided it without acknowledgement. Smacking and punishing him would have been ineffective.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 PM

For the person talking about first cousins:

20 percent of marriages around the world are between first cousins, that Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin married their first cousins, and that first-cousin marriage, while prohibited in half the United States, is legal in Canada and throughout Europe.

My ex-dil's parents are first cousins (both of ex-dil and her sister have hearing deficits and wear hearing aids).

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...rst-cousi.aspx

Quote:
Twenty-five states prohibit marriages between first cousins. Six states allow first cousin marriage under certain circumstances, and North Carolina allows first cousin marriage but prohibits double-cousin marriage. States generally recognize marriages of first cousins married in a state where such marriages are legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting