Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 AM

30,493 posts, read 16,202,768 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a mother and her 12 yr old daughter. The mother made the comment that the daughter was going to learn how to do laundry. Not sure if she was joking or not but it made me wonder.

Do kids today have chores? Payed or part of the family responsibility? Or is the pay part of their allowance?

What age and what do they do?

This is just what's-going-on-today type question. I'm 66 and no kids on the horizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Of course kids have chores in most families. This mother was going to teach her daughter to do laundry so how to do extrapolate that no child having chores these days?

I am sure the girl could have learned sooner....but some people are a bit picky when it comed to how their clothes are washed.....it might not have been the right time before.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Of course kids have chores in most families. This mother was going to teach her daughter to do laundry so how to do extrapolate that no child having chores these days?

I am sure the girl could have learned sooner....but some people are a bit picky when it comed to how their clothes are washed.....it might not have been the right time before.
I didn't extrapolate that to such a generalization.

Just asking a question. I don't understand your defensiveness. I meant no insult.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I didn't extrapolate that to such a generalization.

Just asking a question. I don't understand your defensiveness. I meant no insult.
Your comment about thinking it was a 'joke' and then asking about if kids have chores 'these days'?

Sone people, often with no kids, come in here who do nothing but complain about 'kids these days' who don't work 10 hours in a coal mine, get straight As, and do the laundry and cook dinner like they had no, while walking up hill to school both ways.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I was talking to a mother and her 12 yr old daughter. The mother made the comment that the daughter was going to learn how to do laundry. Not sure if she was joking or not but it made me wonder.

Do kids today have chores? Payed or part of the family responsibility? Or is the pay part of their allowance?

What age and what do they do?

This is just what's-going-on-today type question. I'm 66 and no kids on the horizon.
My kids are 21, 19, 16 and they grew up doing chores. They never got paid for normal everyday stuff that is part of living in the house. If I had a big project I wanted them to do I paid them for that.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

The OP NEVER EVER EVER said or implied that most kids don't have chores. You put that there.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
PAhippo,

Today is just like any other era, some children have chores that are part of their normal day, other children have chores they get paid for or rewarded for getting those chores done. Some children have no chores because they were born into a wealthy family and have always had someone else there to make sure everything is done.

Our children all had daily chores and they did not get paid nor did they get an allowance. If they needed something we provided it, if they were going with friends to a movie or whatever we always gave them enough money to pay for what they wanted for snacks, drinks, etc.

There are also those children who have chores but don't do them and don't get punished for not doing them which in turn creates an adult who could be quite lazy, have an entitled mindset and does not know how to wash a dish or turn on a washer.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:39 AM

Thank you, Momma_bear.

I'm certainly not complaining about parenting today. Good grief, I'm aware enough to have an inkling how challenging it is.

Kudos to those that do.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:55 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times
My kids are 10, 8 and 4. The older two both get $3 a week as an allowance. They have a few chores although they probably could do more. They make their beds each day, keep their room picked up, put away their own toys and crafting materials, fold and put away their own laundry, unload the dishwasher, and keep their little brother occupied when I need to make dinner. Those are really their own regular chores. Other than that, it's "other duties as assigned" which could include dusting, vacuuming, window washing, lawn work, whatever. My 10-year old is big, strong, and smart, and could do a lot more. She is pretty much the laziest kid I've ever met, though, other than being helpful with the 4-year old. The 8-year old is very small for her age and just doesn't have the height or strength to be very efficient at a lot of tasks, but she is very willing and eager to help.

I don't specifically tie allowance to chores, but give "incentives" for completing things that are outside their normal chore list, like 30 minutes of screen time, or a sweet treat like an ice cream break. I have threatened to charge them $1 per day that they don't make their beds in the morning, but haven't actually followed through on that one yet.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:16 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
My kids are 10, 8 and 4. The older two both get $3 a week as an allowance. They have a few chores although they probably could do more. They make their beds each day, keep their room picked up, put away their own toys and crafting materials, fold and put away their own laundry, unload the dishwasher, and keep their little brother occupied when I need to make dinner. Those are really their own regular chores. Other than that, it's "other duties as assigned" which could include dusting, vacuuming, window washing, lawn work, whatever. My 10-year old is big, strong, and smart, and could do a lot more. She is pretty much the laziest kid I've ever met, though, other than being helpful with the 4-year old. The 8-year old is very small for her age and just doesn't have the height or strength to be very efficient at a lot of tasks, but she is very willing and eager to help.

I don't specifically tie allowance to chores, but give "incentives" for completing things that are outside their normal chore list, like 30 minutes of screen time, or a sweet treat like an ice cream break. I have threatened to charge them $1 per day that they don't make their beds in the morning, but haven't actually followed through on that one yet.
Why make the empty threat knowing you will not follow through?
You are showing them that they do not actually have to make the bed because they know you will do nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting