Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
It is called learning how to maintain money. People who are 14 should be getting around $400 dollars versus the parents pay day. This way they can learn how to spend money and be responsible.
Deja vu. You have to be the same person who brought this up last time. Are you aware that some parents don't even have pay checks that big?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 08:30 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why make the empty threat knowing you will not follow through?
You are showing them that they do not actually have to make the bed because they know you will do nothing about it.
The complete threat was "If I have to do it, you'll pay me" and it's rare that I make their beds. They actually do it most days without my saying anything, just out of habit. It's also a question I ask before they go outside to play for the day "Have you made your bed? Are your PJs put away? Is your room clean?" and the answer is usually yes, because they know it's coming.

Occasionally during the school year, they wouldn't because they'd run out of time in the mornings, before the bus arrived. I do need to get more consistent about enforcing it then, as it was usually a matter of their screwing around, versus truly not having enough time.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:52 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,961 times
Yes, my kids have chores. They are capable individuals and should contribute to the household. We did have allowances but currently don't at this point. There was too much griping and fighting with another about chores and me nagging. When they really want allowances again, they can do their small list of chores without me nagging. Their list of chores means keeping their rooms picked up, taking out the trash, dog poop pick up. Nothing too hard. I'm also of the bed making camp.

I have put them to work on some bigger projects and if they put some good effort into it, I will toss them some money as a reward and for a job well done. That takes the sting out of having no allowance at all.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM

959 posts, read 75,624 times
Both of my boys (17 and 15) have chores, but unlike when they were much younger, the chores aren't allowance-specific. They're expected to step up in whatever capacity is needed these days to keep the house running smoothly. So for my newly-minted-driver eldest, we partially fund his gas, etc., to help him out until he's out of school and has a non-seasonal, more full-time job. I suppose that could be considered an allowance of sorts, but since the boys are both doing much more substantial work around the house (helping to replace the back deck, retiling the bathroom, and the like) than things such as putting away their clothes like they did when younger, I don't feel as if there's an inequitable exchange. We've been fortunate that the idea of allowance per se was not something they became insistent upon; for the most part, they seem to understand that part of their now-responsibility is just offering to take on a task that needs doing. (It is not without the occasional gripe of "do I have to?" mind you, but they both have things they want money for, something special, so if we're able they get that in lieu of allowance.)

Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
yes,,,but....

I grew up the son of a fisherman and grandson of a farmer.... my brother and I worked worked and worked
we knew the value of a dollar and was very frugal with money..

however,,,, heres the problem,,,so many times the other kids were playing,,, while we were always working,,,when we were teenagers,,, we got invited to lots of events and parties but was always working, working, working,,,

and we did miss out on a lot of stuff..

so, when my son was growing up, I had the mindset he will enjoy his childhood,,,he was a straight a student and stayed out of trouble,,,so I didn't require many chores for him to teach responsibilities,,,because he was already very responsible,,,,he did have chores if he chose to ,,because he likes nice clothes and things and they were extra,,so he volunteered for jobs to make money..
if he was a fat slob playing computer games all the time,,,maybe id think differently,,,but he didn't miss his childhood,,i encouraged him to go to events,,,with his friends,,, they are only young once
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting