Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:32 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I believe that most studies say that electronic devices, such as computers, iPads & cell phones shouldn't be used within one full hour of bedtime (as the light is so disruptive to normal sleep). And, certainly not used in the middle of night, where they could cause even more significant sleeping problems.

OP, good luck. There have been many great suggestions for you to try.
Yeah I agree. We always get off schedule in the summer because different camps start at different times and it stays light so late. Its a big rule in the school yeah. Will try to be more on top of it in the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I have a challenging child too so I understand exactly where you are coming from. Maybe its time to seek outside help again? My husband didn't want to do so claiming it was our job as parents to deal with the behavior ourselves. I disagreed and went ahead and sought help. DH has finally come around and admitted we needed the help. DS is still challenging in ways our other children are not. However, he is a joy to be around now that he has started learning to control himself and follow rules. All the problems are not solved. We still have challenging moments every day but they are diminishing as time goes by. We have a feeling that DS will always be the squeaky wheel but he is an amazing person when he isn't being a pain in the arse. LOL
Thanks lots for the understanding. *hugs!* Things aren't so bad we need to get in therapy right now. I mean, this is really the only issue. He has been more helpful around the house, etc then usual. And more compliant. His 10th birthday is around the corner which in his words means "I am almost a teenager". He saw us raise 3 other teenagers and knows...wow, they get to do all sorts of cool stuff. Stay home alone, drive, etc. He is jumping the gun. But he always has been like that. Truth be told, he is quite independent and good at taking care of himself. Even for an ADHD kid, you wont see him taking risks or walking blindly into traffic, or anything like that. He takes safety very seriously.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I believe that most studies say that electronic devices, such as computers, iPads & cell phones shouldn't be used within one full hour of bedtime (as the light is so disruptive to normal sleep). And, certainly not used in the middle of night, where they could cause even more significant sleeping problems.

OP, good luck. There have been many great suggestions for you to try.
Yes, but with computer *or jailbroke ipad/iphone* you can use a program called f.lux. It changes the colour on your screen to more naturally mimic natural light, which helps counter the sleeping issues. https://justgetflux.com/ios.html

Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Is it possible your son has a sleep disorder? It's distinctly possible your son is experiencing a health problem, not a behavior problem. I have a sleep disorder and mine manifested itself when I was a young child (which is common for some types of sleep disorders) — which was long before computers were invented. I did anything to amuse myself throughout the night. Sneaking a transistor radio to bed, orienting my bed in the bedroom so I could see my parents' TV through a crack in the door, reading with a flashlight under the blankets. I wasn't doing these things to keep myself awake, I was awake even if I wasn't making use of my time.

To this day there is still not much that can be done about many kinds of sleep disorders, but since they often go hand-in-hand with other issues — such as breathing disorders, mood disorders, problems like bruxism or sleep paralysis — it's something that should be investigated. You need to get a handle on understanding why and how your son can stay awake this much at night. It's not typical for children.

There are sleep disorder clinics all over the country. Some of the best ones are associated with universities or large psychiatric facilities. I was diagnosed and treated at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh where there is much sophisticated study being done on sleep disorders that effect people of all ages. Insurance often covers it but if it doesn't there are always studies being done that people can be enrolled in to eliminate expenses.

Anyone with a true sleep disorder needs to understand it so he or she can cope and make the most of their life because it's not likely to go away. School and employment can be a challenge to people with serious sleep issues but there are ways to deal with it.

If it's any consolation to you, people who have the up-all-night disorder (called "delayed sleep-phase syndrome," one of several types of circadian rhythm sleep disorders) are usually more creative than the average person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circad...sleep_disorder

Please investigate this for your child's future and your own peace of mind.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 07-11-2015 at 10:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Is it possible your son has a sleep disorder? It's distinctly possible your son is experiencing a health problem, not a behavior problem. I have a sleep disorder and mine manifested itself when I was a young child (which is common for some types of sleep disorders) — which was long before computers were invented. I did anything to amuse myself throughout the night. Sneaking a transistor radio to bed, orienting my bed in the bedroom so I could see my parents' TV through a crack in the door, reading with a flashlight under the blankets. I wasn't doing these things to keep myself awake, I was awake even if I wasn't making use of my time.

To this day there is still not much that can be done about many kinds of sleep disorders, but since they often go hand-in-hand with other issues — such as breathing disorders, mood disorders, problems like bruxism or sleep paralysis — it's something that should be investigated. You need to get a handle on understanding why and how your son can stay awake this much at night. It's not typical for children.

There are sleep disorder clinics all over the country. Some of the best ones are associated with universities or large psychiatric facilities. I was diagnosed and treated at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh where there is much sophisticated study being done on sleep disorders that effect people of all ages. Insurance often covers it but if it doesn't there are always studies being done that people can be enrolled in to eliminate expenses.

Anyone with a true sleep disorder needs to understand it so he or she can cope and make the most of their life because it's not likely to go away. School and employment can be a challenge to people with serious sleep issues but there are ways to deal with it.

If it's any consolation to you, people who have the up-all-night disorder (called "delayed sleep-phase syndrome," one of several types of circadian rhythm sleep disorders) are usually more creative than the average person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circad...sleep_disorder

Please investigate this for your child's future and your own peace of mind.
Thanks for this. It is something I will look further into. I have had trouble sleeping since I was 8 years old...never got it checked out. Worth looking into for my son.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A couple years ago I bought ipads for the kids schooling and planned on them only being educational tools. Well that lasted a day. My fault for not being more strict with them.

But my son has developed a habit of sneaking up at night, finding one (yes we take them nightly and hide them) and hiding and playing all.night.long! 2 nights in a row now. But he has done it countless other times in the past.

I've decided to sell them. If he can't practice self control, he doesn't need them in his life. But my daughter always follows the rules with them.

So I was thinking as a natural consequence for him, they get sold. But to be fair, letting my daughter use the money to buy the American Girl Doll she has been really wanting.

Is that fair?

So thoughts? Son is 10, daughter is almost 9.
You can't think of a way to keep an ipad away from a 10 year old? Really?

Maybe the reason he is sneaking around to use it is that you have made it into forbidden fruit.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 PM

163 posts, read 247,439 times
So rather than hiding the Ipad try locking them up at night. They have software now to restrict use to them as well.

Pay a local IT shop to set up use restrictions on your home wi-fi network or Google how to restrict it and go for it yourself.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:18 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Using a new code will just cause drama, especially if my daghter knows it and he doesnt.
And selling them won't?

Teaching him that drama won't win an argument us part of your oarenting job. Put a passcode lock on them (takes less than a minute), let him learn to deal with limits.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliger View Post
So rather than hiding the Ipad try locking them up at night. They have software now to restrict use to them as well.

Pay a local IT shop to set up use restrictions on your home wi-fi network or Google how to restrict it and go for it yourself.
Few pages up... IPads also a have 4G DataPlan..

Also its Not the IPads if he can't find them he does Lego's in the middle of the night.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
And selling them won't?

Teaching him that drama won't win an argument us part of your oarenting job. Put a passcode lock on them (takes less than a minute), let him learn to deal with limits.
I meant drama between kids. If anyone has more then one child and are honest, they know what I am talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting