Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:20 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I like Formica Dinette better.
Don't be ridiculous.

That's a girl's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:23 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I like more unique names and I like Apollo in particular. I do tend to agree that three names together are a bit much and going with a Scottish surname is a great idea (I like Apollo Anderson, Apollo Logan, Apollo Allan), that said DO WHAT YOU WANT.

I have a unique name with a unique spelling and I have never been teased about it. Spelling it out all the time is no big deal, because I'm used to it. My husband automatically spells it when he has to give it out too. It really isn't a big deal. It's never prevented me from getting a job and it can actually be an ice breaker to conversation.

I don't like it when people shorten a name to a nickname. I named my kids those names, because that is what I want them to be called, so I gave them names that can't be shortened. I can't see how Apollo can be shortened (Polly maybe??), but if you don't like the nickname, just insist you want him to be called by his full given name.
Apollo isn't unique, it's a Greek name, and not that uncommon.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Personally, I think choosing a name for a child should take in consideration that the child will carry that name his/her entire life. Saddling a child with an unusual name means the child will have to spell it, explain it, and deal with it all throughout school and into adult years.

Save the creative, unusual names for your pets and give the kid a name that doesn't come with all sorts of baggage attached to it.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
If you are uncertain enough to ask strangers on the internet for their opinions about what to name your child, then don't do it! That being said, I do think you should name your child whatever you want to name them - I just question the uncertainty of you having to ask all of us about it.

One of the best names ever, in my opinion, is that my friend named her daughter, Viena, which was a family name, not after the the capitol of Austria - hence only one "n." When Viena got married, her husband's last name was Paris. So now her name is Viena Paris. I love that name! Especially that it happened by chance.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
I know people who really like their unusual or uncommon names. I know some people who have changed them to more traditional names. So I don't think there is an absolute right way about that.

Pre-Apollo Ohno, I would have said no to Apollo. But its grown on me and "strong" male names are coming into style, I think (because people keep hijacking male names for girls). Nova...just reminds me of a show and "Nova Scotia"...just doesn't do it for me. Its like naming someone "British Colombia"

Old 07-19-2015, 09:27 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
I like more unique names and I like Apollo in particular. I do tend to agree that three names together are a bit much and going with a Scottish surname is a great idea (I like Apollo Anderson, Apollo Logan, Apollo Allan), that said DO WHAT YOU WANT.

I have a unique name with a unique spelling and I have never been teased about it. Spelling it out all the time is no big deal, because I'm used to it. My husband automatically spells it when he has to give it out too. It really isn't a big deal. It's never prevented me from getting a job and it can actually be an ice breaker to conversation.

I don't like it when people shorten a name to a nickname. I named my kids those names, because that is what I want them to be called, so I gave them names that can't be shortened. I can't see how Apollo can be shortened (Polly maybe??), but if you don't like the nickname, just insist you want him to be called by his full given name.
Thats so funny because I don't like names that can't be changed up some what. I was given a nickname for a first name (I mean, its a legit name but used to only be a nickname) and I hated that I didn't have a "grown up name" that I could use when I wanted. So I gave my kids names that could be shortened or not. Its funny because I think a lot of our feelings about names has to do with our own satisfaction or dissatisfaction with our own names.

As for insisting...most kids will start insisting back and they may totally mess up the name you gave them. Insisting only works until they get a mind of their own...somewhere between 4 years and 10.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 AM

367 posts, read 458,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
It's fine.
Nobody knows anyone's middle name anyway, so no explanation or potential bullying to be wary of.
Keep telling yourself that. Once one person knows someone has a middle name like this, it becomes common knowledge real quick.

The OP can name their kid whatever they want, but don't expect me as a fellow parent to tell my kid, who is hypothetically your son's classmate, that they shouldn't pick on your kid over their name and not say that I also feel its dumb. Other then saying "be nice" once or twice, I have bigger parenting issues with them, and I strongly believe that effectiveness of a parent is picking and choosing your battles of when to crack down on things. This would not be one of those battles to me. Because just like you can name your kid whatever you want, I can discipline mine however I want.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thats so funny because I don't like names that can't be changed up some what. I was given a nickname for a first name (I mean, its a legit name but used to only be a nickname) and I hated that I didn't have a "grown up name" that I could use when I wanted. So I gave my kids names that could be shortened or not. Its funny because I think a lot of our feelings about names has to do with our own satisfaction or dissatisfaction with our own names.

As for insisting...most kids will start insisting back and they may totally mess up the name you gave them. Insisting only works until they get a mind of their own...somewhere between 4 years and 10.
This is probably true. My name is not meant to be shortened, but for some reason my dad tried to shorten it when I was in high school. The shortening is a somewhat common boy's name, but is acceptable for girls too. I hated it. He said that I HAD to just get used to it, because EVERYONE would call me that. No one has ever. Not once. I usually get compliments about my name. A lot of people pronounce it wrong, but I figure if they can't get it right after two or three corrections, they must not care that much about me and aren't worth my time .

I wanted to change the spelling of my name when I was in high school. If I changed one letter, I would still be spelling it out all the time, but it would be easier to pronounce. My mom said she didn't care if I did, but when I found out why it was spelled that way, I decided to keep it.

As far as nicknames, if my kids CHOOSE to be called something else, that's fine. My insistence that they be referred to by their given name is more for other people than themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Keep telling yourself that. Once one person knows someone has a middle name like this, it becomes common knowledge real quick.

The OP can name their kid whatever they want, but don't expect me as a fellow parent to tell my kid, who is hypothetically your son's classmate, that they shouldn't pick on your kid over their name and not say that I also feel its dumb. Other then saying "be nice" once or twice, I have bigger parenting issues with them, and I strongly believe that effectiveness of a parent is picking and choosing your battles of when to crack down on things. This would not be one of those battles to me. Because just like you can name your kid whatever you want, I can discipline mine however I want.
Bullying of any sort is never okay or justifiable. If you agree that the name is dumb and you give the okay for your kid to pick on someone else because of their name, you are a bully too.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Think of the teasing such a name would bring.
I wish more people would get this. Right or wrong a kid gets picked on because of their name. Why start them off behind the 8-ball

Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM

367 posts, read 458,416 times
Quote:

Bullying of any sort is never okay or justifiable. If you agree that the name is dumb and you give the okay for your kid to pick on someone else because of their name, you are a bully too.
Stopping bullying is a two-way street. Yes, a parent should encourage their kid not too. But secondly, a parent should do their part to avoid putting a bullseye on their kids back to be a target. A middle name like this is painting that bullseye bright red. I was a mean girl until I started maturing late in high school, and can tell you no one is picked on at random. Those who are bullied have something about them that led up to the bullying. You want to stop bullying, then parents also need to know how to not make their kids targets for bullying, because at the end of the day, kids will be kids.

If I got a message from a school principal that my daughter was picking on someone with this name, I won't tell her it's ok; but I can't deny that my first reaction will be to say "that's really his name?" and then chuckle, with my daughter would certainly notice. Still, as I posted, I would tell her that it's not nice to pick on someone and not to do it. What I don't think you like is that I am saying I am not going to discipline further. I believe in picking my spots, and don't think this is one. If you get on your kid over everything, they end up resenting you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting