Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:51 PM

311 posts, read 293,530 times

Advertisements

Every parent thinks their baby is a little angel.
A lot of times, this "angel" is the biggest freak on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,502,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Father’s Homecoming Picture With Daughter’s Date Goes Viral | WNEP.com

Ick, ick, ick.

Every time I read or hear "Daddy's polishing his shotgun to protect his little girl" it makes me cringe. Newsflash, girls and women don't belong to anyone but themselves.
Umm until they are 18, daddy's gonna be there with a shotgun. So you'd think it fine and dandy for a 16 year old girl to date some scumbag heartbreaker who won't treat her right? I know I am gonna be that kinda "shotgun daddy" with my daughter AND my son. Whether they are gay or straight, their boyfriend or girlfriend better treat them right!

Old 10-22-2015, 01:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,088,309 times
I still remember my first boyfriend asking me if it was significant that every time he came over, my father was cleaning his guns. I hadn't even noticed but he was right!

Old 10-22-2015, 02:38 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,005,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's just weird. Couples have been doing that pose in dance pictures for decades.

And I agree that the old shotgun-toting daddy threat is overplayed. Dads who really know what they're doing raise girls who can handle themselves.
I, and other unfortunate women know this all too well. My dad was barely around, so I'm proud to say I can handle myself. I had to, as have many women who didn't have a paternal figure in their lives. Seeing TV dads play the overblown protector of their daughters makes me wistful, even though I know they're not real.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,924,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
It is indeed a thing. Also called a "purity ring." Some go as far to throw "purity balls" which is almost like a wedding, where the dad promises to protect his daughter and guard her virginity, complete with the ring. The ring is to be worn on the wedding ring finger until an actual wedding ring replaces it. Girls may want their dad to love and protect them, but not to get all up in their personal, feminine business. I have to wonder about the dynamics of the relationship where a girl would feel comfortable with that, and any dad that concerned with his daughter's virginity has issues.

The first time I heard of it was Jessica Simpson's dad doing it. Creeped me out.
Maryland bride gives Christian pastor father with 'certificate of purity' to prove she's a virgin | Daily Mail Online
And then there is this...

Old 10-22-2015, 02:59 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,281,815 times
I find it amusing that so many fathers of daughters seem to want their daughters to be everything that they DIDN'T want their girlfriends to be.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:59 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,622,385 times
Quote:

Ick, ick, ick.

Every time I read or hear "Daddy's polishing his shotgun to protect his little girl" it makes me cringe. Newsflash, girls and women don't belong to anyone but themselves.
That's a line from a tv show. I saw it. I forget what it is. Maybe another poster will know.

The actor playing the dad was a hunk when younger, I think. It'll come to me. A sitcom, I think.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,622,385 times
Quote:

Ick, ick, ick.

Well, girls don't "belong" to men, but it still is a prerogative of parents, particularly fathers, to protect their daughters from salacious, horny guys. The father knows better than anyone what young men can be like, since he was one himself.

As someone who didn't have anyone to give a sh_t about me when I was a teen, I would have welcomed a father who sought to protect me. Or a mother, for that matter. But mothers are usually too passive and sometimes also taken in my smooth players.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:11 PM

922 posts, read 1,116,105 times
OP, your response to the pic and subsequent comments makes ME roll my eyes and think, "There goes another over-the-top feminist who takes every single thing literally". Sheesh, get over yourself, the pic was all in good fun and there wasn't any weird meaning behind it.

Why SHOULDN'T a father protect his daughter by "warning" guys that any sort of inappropriate behavior is going to carry consequences? Last I checked it's a parent's duty to protect their children and if that means giving boys who are taking their daughter's out on dates the stink eye and cleaning guns in front of them, then so be it. My DH is definitely going to be a harda$$ when it comes to our daughters going out with boys and I have NO issue with it. In fact, I would be ticked off if he WASN'T like that. We're teaching our daughters to have self-respect and know that they are worth everything and anyone who thinks different is full of crap. And letting boys know that our girls' daddy isn't going to tolerate any funny business can't hurt, either.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:25 PM

38 posts, read 26,009 times
ha! The pastor's daughter went to college with me. she ended up being the biggest pass around girl on campus, but at least she served a vital function: providing "favors" on the fly (no pun intended) 24/7 my buddies and I called her "The mobile service station" Good times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting