Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times

Advertisements

Its very very common Downunder and has resulted in Better Treatment for Females.

I don't see a thing wrong with it, presuming the Daughter is under the age of consent.

I knew a father who put a hook beside the door when his oldest daughter started dating, specifically so he could invite the young man to hang his tackle up while he took his daughter out.

You want to bet those sort of daughters get treated better by those young men? They sure do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 03:55 PM

16,614 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Every time I read or hear "Daddy's polishing his shotgun to protect his little girl" it makes me cringe. Newsflash, girls and women don't belong to anyone but themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes and they teach their daughters the way they should be treated. For others reading, here's a hint: NOT like personal property!
Children (both boys & girls) are the responsibility of their parents, so ownership as you so inarticulacy put it is not that far off from reality.
But presumably you know this, and are just trying to express some type of feminist outrage.
Maybe you should have come of age in the 1960's so you could burn you bra and declare the word women should be spelled womyn.

`

Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times
A blog a FB friend posted today about this story. Written from the perspective of a Mother of a young man who does not think that a girl's Father joking about this is funny or necessary. Not making a judgment one way or the other, just thought it had some interesting points:

Please Don't Threaten My Son For Dating Your Daughter*|*Kasey Ferris

Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope.
What the people involved said in an interview.

But go ahead, make something creepy about it...
It IS just a joke.
I don't find all jokes amusing. This is one of them. Its creepy and gross.

"In jest, there is truth."

Old 10-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep.
People find what they are looking for...
So there is no truly wrong ideals or trains of thought? Its all perspective, hmm?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Umm until they are 18, daddy's gonna be there with a shotgun. So you'd think it fine and dandy for a 16 year old girl to date some scumbag heartbreaker who won't treat her right? I know I am gonna be that kinda "shotgun daddy" with my daughter AND my son. Whether they are gay or straight, their boyfriend or girlfriend better treat them right!
No, I think its fine and dandy for a 16 year old girl to have provenance over her own body and realize its HER body and not daddy's and not lover boy's for that matter.

You don't need to treat your child like property in order for them to have self esteem.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I find it amusing that so many fathers of daughters seem to want their daughters to be everything that they DIDN'T want their girlfriends to be.
I always wonder how THESE men acted around women to make them so suspicious towards younger men.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Well, girls don't "belong" to men, but it still is a prerogative of parents, particularly fathers, to protect their daughters from salacious, horny guys. The father knows better than anyone what young men can be like, since he was one himself.

As someone who didn't have anyone to give a sh_t about me when I was a teen, I would have welcomed a father who sought to protect me. Or a mother, for that matter. But mothers are usually too passive and sometimes also taken in my smooth players.
Is it the prerogative of moms to protect their sons from salacious, horny girls?

What young men are like? You mean exactly like young women?!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
OP, your response to the pic and subsequent comments makes ME roll my eyes and think, "There goes another over-the-top feminist who takes every single thing literally". Sheesh, get over yourself, the pic was all in good fun and there wasn't any weird meaning behind it.

Why SHOULDN'T a father protect his daughter by "warning" guys that any sort of inappropriate behavior is going to carry consequences? Last I checked it's a parent's duty to protect their children and if that means giving boys who are taking their daughter's out on dates the stink eye and cleaning guns in front of them, then so be it. My DH is definitely going to be a harda$$ when it comes to our daughters going out with boys and I have NO issue with it. In fact, I would be ticked off if he WASN'T like that. We're teaching our daughters to have self-respect and know that they are worth everything and anyone who thinks different is full of crap. And letting boys know that our girls' daddy isn't going to tolerate any funny business can't hurt, either.
Its funny you call me an over the top feminist. You've obviously missed my numerous posts about the rights of men and fathers in this very forum.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Children (both boys & girls) are the responsibility of their parents, so ownership as you so inarticulacy put it is not that far off from reality.
But presumably you know this, and are just trying to express some type of feminist outrage.
Maybe you should have come of age in the 1960's so you could burn you bra and declare the word women should be spelled womyn.

`
I don't own my children. No sir. They own their own bodies. I teach them to respect themselves and others. I don't act like they are my property. Because they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting