Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why would you even consider bad-mouthing your husband?

He's 5. Just tell him Daddy had to work. Most parents have to work and can't make it to these things; it's not as if it's a pageant after school or something.
We don't have "normal" jobs. The kids know he isn't working and he doesn't have a job where he gets called in to an office. They know he goes back to work Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
The school hosts a lunch for preK and K every year. The students sing a few songs and then have pizza with their families. It's not a moms club. It's not for moms who don't work (I work full time).

While k was in the shower, the two of them disagreed about something. Our son drew a picture and wrote "daddy I hate you". Obviously he doesn't hate his dad. And I've heard the I don't like you comments all the time. He's five. I tell him it's okay if he upset, I still love him. My husband can be moody and hold a grudge. Yes, he's being immature. All I'm asking if for a safe response for my kid that isn't a lie.
Come on. You are looking for a way to tell your kid what a bad person Daddy is. He might be an assclown, but it's up to you to make sure your kid doesn't begin to have disrespect for his father.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:26 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I would let Dad off the hook this one time. He is overreacting for certain, but it sounds as though he is stressed out because of his father.

Your son won't be the only child with just one parent present. Tell him his father had to do something for grandpa (even if it's just thinking about him). Your child will most likely not give it a second thought by tomorrow.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to let your son know that words like "I hate you" hurt grownups just like they hurt children, but I'd save that talk for another time.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No offense, but your husband is being less mature than a 5 year old. Kids sometimes tell their parents that they don't like them; that's just the way it is. Tell your husband to man up and deal with it.

Actually, this would be a good opportunity for him to turn it around. Have him ask your son if he wants him to attend the lunch. He will almost certainly say yes. Then, your husband can pretend to look surprised and say, "But wait, I thought you said you didn't like me. Are you SURE you want me to come to the lunch?" Your son will almost certainly say yes, and that'll be the end of it. And if by chance he does say no, then later on when he pouts that his dad didn't come, you can remind him that he (the son) asked him not to come, so it's on him. Hopefully, the cause-and-effect lesson will be learned.
Don't count on that as the end result. The dad is acting like a spoiled brat and even a kid knows that. Can you imagine if the kid would say no that's okey this idiot would probably deprive the kid a favored Xmas present. Was married to one of those whiney pouting types.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Have you tried calling your husband again and telling him "what if you died of a heart attack today, and the last thing your son remembers of you is the fight you had and that you wouldn't come to his lunch? Is that how you want your son to remember you when you're gone?"

Is he the type of man that that would work on?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:29 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Come on. You are looking for a way to tell your kid what a bad person Daddy is. He might be an assclown, but it's up to you to make sure your kid doesn't begin to have disrespect for his father.
This post is so so so important. Your husband is being a childish jerk, we all agree on that. However, you are trying to take out your frustrations on him by asking our permission to berate him to your child. Sorry, but that's pretty childish as well.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:31 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
This post is so so so important. Your husband is being a childish jerk, we all agree on that. However, you are trying to take out your frustrations on him by asking our permission to berate him to your child. Sorry, but that's pretty childish as well.
No, she's not. She's dealing with a grieving spouse and trying to figure out how to shield her small children from the worst of it.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
The Dad is for sure being a baby, but I also assume you told your son that it was a mean thing to do to write a hate picture to his Dad.

If my son did this about my wife I would sit down immediately with him and tell him to apologize and explain why it hurts. If my wife was pouting I would also sit down and tell her she is being a baby and acting like a pre-teen girl, holding a grudge over a childish comment.

Two learnings can be had here.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Is this guy your childs step father as certainly doesnt act like the real dad. Sorry but your husband is an idiot. How small of him. I venture a guess he was looking for a way out as hes not man enough to eat in the cafeteria with the kids. As grandparents, both of us went to these events and the children were so proud we were there. Also saw a few children get anxious when parents running late. Am curious on why the dad has gotton more than one I dont like you or hate you notes. Dad doesnt seem to be creatiing any warm and fuzzy moments. Seems more like a bully to me. If anyone asks where dad is dont lie for him either just say he couldnt make it. Very dysfunctional stuff going on and not all can be blamed on your husbands dad about to die.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 11-06-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-06-2015, 09:56 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
I'm not trying to make my husband look bad, I'm trying to avoid that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting