Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:11 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times

Advertisements

My husband has decided to skip our son's parent lunch today. What do I tell our son when he asks why daddy isn't there? He is only five, so I don't want him to feel abandoned or unloved. What's the best route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 06:18 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
My husband has decided to skip our son's parent lunch today. What do I tell our son when he asks why daddy isn't there? He is only five, so I don't want him to feel abandoned or unloved. What's the best route?
You can go in your husband's place!

If missing one lunch means that the child will feel abandoned and/or unloved, there are deeper issues....

Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
What's your husband doing instead? If he's working, then just tell him, "daddy had to work today." If he's home playing video games, then daddy needs to have his priorities checked.

I don't think a five-year-old would feel abandoned or unloved, but he might feel bad if he's the only kid there without a parent. If you can't go, can a Grandma or Grandpa or Aunt or Uncle fill in?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
I'm going. We were both supposed to go. My husband is off this week and our son is expecting him to be there. My husband is "pouting" because our son said he doesn't like him.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:51 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
I'm going. We were both supposed to go. My husband is off this week and our son is expecting him to be there. My husband is "pouting" because our son said he doesn't like him.
No offense, but your husband is being less mature than a 5 year old. Kids sometimes tell their parents that they don't like them; that's just the way it is. Tell your husband to man up and deal with it.

Actually, this would be a good opportunity for him to turn it around. Have him ask your son if he wants him to attend the lunch. He will almost certainly say yes. Then, your husband can pretend to look surprised and say, "But wait, I thought you said you didn't like me. Are you SURE you want me to come to the lunch?" Your son will almost certainly say yes, and that'll be the end of it. And if by chance he does say no, then later on when he pouts that his dad didn't come, you can remind him that he (the son) asked him not to come, so it's on him. Hopefully, the cause-and-effect lesson will be learned.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
My husband is off this week and our son is expecting him to be there. My husband is "pouting" because our son said he doesn't like him.

Sounds like Hubby needs to go back to kindergarten.

Tell him to get over himself and go to this lunch. He should model the behavior he wants to see from his son. What, he's gonna pay the kid back by skipping the lunch????

Y'all have some serious problems to work out.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:57 AM

308 posts, read 446,158 times
Quote:
All kids do this. I'm guessing your husband was "being mean" and not letting your son have his way?

My 3 year old will tell me she doesn't like me. but then a few minutes later she's curled up in my lap, saying so sweetly, "I love you, Daddy!"

Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No offense, but your husband is being less mature than a 5 year old. Kids sometimes tell their parents that they don't like them; that's just the way it is. Tell your husband to man up and deal with it.

Actually, this would be a good opportunity for him to turn it around. Have him ask your son if he wants him to attend the lunch. He will almost certainly say yes. Then, your husband can pretend to look surprised and say, "But wait, I thought you said you didn't like me. Are you SURE you want me to come to the lunch?" Your son will almost certainly say yes, and that'll be the end of it. And if by chance he does say no, then later on when he pouts that his dad didn't come, you can remind him that he (the son) asked him not to come, so it's on him. Hopefully, the cause-and-effect lesson will be learned.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:01 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
If hubby is off from work then by all means he should go. He needs to develop a thicker skin when dealing with kids.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
So what you're saying is that you didn't post to get any advice whatsoever, you just wanted to b*tch about your husband being a pouty jerk.

What is a "parent lunch" and why is it so important? And why does your husband feel like having a standoff with a 5 year old is more important than free (perhaps) food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting