Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:24 AM

152 posts, read 174,110 times

Advertisements

We may be moving soon and I two young children in 2nd and 3rd grade. My family is guilt-tripping me about moving saying that it will be hard on my kids. They have established close friends through school and in the neighborhood. My one friend says kids are resilient, and then we had a school principle tell us it's hard on them from 5th grade and up. I feel my kids are very social and will quickly make new friends no matter where we go. Anyone experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
It can be hard, but in my experience they generally follow your lead.

If you make the move an exciting opportunity, they are likely to see it that way. Show them photos of the place where you're moving, and give them a visual to look forward TO so they don't focus so much on what they're moving FROM.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
The older the kids, the harder the move will be on them. If you need to move, now is better than waiting until later!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
The Older (Middle School and Up) is harder.

A 2nd/3rd Grader, Will Bounce back as long as you plan for thing that they enjoy in your new location. Be very open to sleep overs, Going to park to let them meet, build new friendships.

Things like Sports, may sigh-up lead time of several months, So look into / Sign-up in advance. Summer Day camps also do sign-up early spring, so plan for that also.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Military families do it all the time. I moved a lot till middle school when my dad retired. Yes, it is hard on you as a child, but it doesn't damage you. I actually think it was pretty character building. I have experiences adapting to new situations and making friends.

I agree it's probably harder on older children 5th grade and up, because at that point grades and knowing the school system and the people in it start to make more of a difference. 2nd and 3rd grade should be okay. Give them a little help finding new friends when you get there, get them in some activities, and they should be fine.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
I moved my daughter when she was in was in 2nd grade, she had a very best buddy that I was sad that they would no longer be seeing each other every day. my daughter adjusted very quickly and 30 some years later her and her buddy are still pals. make the move easier on your kids by telling them all about the new places they can see and learn about, meeting new people. maybe put them into an activity that they were not able to do where you are now, like horse back riding, hockey, judo, art classes.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
It wasn't hard for my kids, but they were used to it since my ex-husband was military and we moved a lot.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:54 PM

318 posts, read 372,602 times
We never really moved as kids (different house, same schools) my spouse moved a lot. His side of the country pretty much demanded you go where work is, and if it dries up you move again. vs. my area where in the 60's/70's/80's a bloke gets a great union job with benefits at 19 and kept it until retirement. We're both fine. He's more open to change then me however.

Today's economy is crap everywhere though, seems the stability of the past is very much long gone so moving for work IS the norm. So, seeing that I don't get why people would be so hard on you OP unless these people are long retired and don't get the modern times we are in. Just don't do anything weird and throw out your kids things behind their back while packing and you'll be fine.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Every child is different. We moved twice. The first time my daughter was fine, my son not so much. He had a very hard time adjusting. There is only so much you can control. My son was 8 at the time and unfortunately was bulled badly. I intervened, but sadly it lasted longer than it should have.

The second time I was very nervous after what happened, however my son and daughter both did great. We love our area and the kids are so much happier.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how resilient children are at this age. It's much harder from middle school on up when their emotional support system has expanded beyond immediate family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting