Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times

Advertisements

OP - I for one agree with you that the principal was out of line. And, I believe this is a FERPA violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
OP!!! If I were you I would more worrying about my son's aggressive behavior than violation of our family privacy. I will be more upset that my child hurt some one than being upset with the school administration for disclosing it. I will be grace for God for not let more harm happen to the other kid from my kids hand. I will be freaking to bail him from the police lock up so I will seek any help every way I can to work his aggressive behavior and make him to understand that he has to control him self towards to the others at school and trying to find out if my son has other reason for not going to school.

OP!! your disappointment is with your own son. Don't blow up it on school administration. I am sure they have taken the actions what is needed. I have been to the US schools too. And they won't suspend a kid for NO reason. So put your pride away and see if your child need professional help such as anger therapy ,and seek that instead wasting your time on sue schools under the privacy acts. What ever happened it happened at school and it is also from the other parents perspective too they also have right to know what kind of act school has taken regarding their kid.
Good Luck OP!
Eh. They may not suspend for "no" reason, but they certainly suspend for silly ones. You read where the OP's son has been dealing with repeated provocation from this other student? Maybe now, he won't have to. Anger therapy? For real? For finally reacting to a bully? Ridiculous. The best reaction to bullying is often a taste of their own medicine, not a diagnosis.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:33 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
The schools can overreact though. My son's HS Vice Principal called me at work because my son "put his hands on another student" in class. He apparently shoved one of his buddies that he has been close friends with for 7 years. They were just joking and horsing around.

But she made sure that I discussed with him the seriousness of "putting his hands on another student".

The discussion I ACTUALLY had with him was to remind him that this is the pansy world we live in and he needs to just get used to it and follow their stupid rules.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Considering the fact that it looks like your son was the victim of bullying in the first place, it sounds like he may simply need to have more effective skills in terms of dealing with a bully. That's what I would be focused on if it was my kid. There are a variety of effective techniques for dealing with bullies that kids can learn

Old 05-03-2016, 02:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
I do have to wonder why you hadn't contacted the school authorities if your child had already been the victim of bullying numerous times by this kid

Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I would be bothered by it too, especially if it upset my son. I don't think I would take action though. You really have to choose your battles with schools. I mean, if this is the only issue, then consider yourself lucky. School has been a *nightmare* on one level or another for my kids. Thats why I suggest saving all your energy to fight something that can be fixed. Its too late to fix this.

Great advice. I will work on being grateful for having just one year of issues so far. I don't have much past experience to rely on so I appreciate you sharing yours.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I do have to wonder why you hadn't contacted the school authorities if your child had already been the victim of bullying numerous times by this kid

Multiple incidents...multiple reports...all documented. The school can only do so much. I get that.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Considering the fact that it looks like your son was the victim of bullying in the first place, it sounds like he may simply need to have more effective skills in terms of dealing with a bully. That's what I would be focused on if it was my kid. There are a variety of effective techniques for dealing with bullies that kids can learn

Thank you for your advice. I totally agree and am researching this. I reached out moments ago to the counselor at the school to discuss what her thoughts are.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
The schools can overreact though. My son's HS Vice Principal called me at work because my son "put his hands on another student" in class. He apparently shoved one of his buddies that he has been close friends with for 7 years. They were just joking and horsing around.

But she made sure that I discussed with him the seriousness of "putting his hands on another student".

The discussion I ACTUALLY had with him was to remind him that this is the pansy world we live in and he needs to just get used to it and follow their stupid rules.
When my daughter was in Kinder, a little boy had trouble in the bathroom and came out into the hall way with his pants and underwear down around his ankles. They sent home a seriously worded letter that acted like the students in the hall (my daughter included) had been sexually assaulted. And this was after a "class meeting" to discuss it. The kid was "dealt with" and his parents were "called to the school". Funny thing was, my daughter didn't see it and she said none of her friends did either. Instead of handling it like normal people, the made a huge deal out of it and cemented it in her mind.

They weren't allowed to have plastic butter knifes at this school either....

Old 05-03-2016, 03:07 PM

389 posts, read 422,400 times
Last year when my daughter was in 7th grade a "friend" made an online threat to kill my daughter for something she thought my daughter did. It was words, but she was spouting off and wanting other kids to "help" her do it. We immediately brought it to the principals attention. I did not fear that the girl was serious at this time, but I wanted the fear of God placed on that child before she started thinking she could get away with talking like that and her behavior escalate. The Principal took it very seriously and actually had the campus police get involved.

Anyway, beyond telling us that the issue had been dealt with, the principal did not disclose any other details. We knew what happened though, because all the kids talked. So no matter what, I'm sure the other kids would have known about your son's suspension. A basic "They were suspended" from the principal doesn't really seem to violate the other child's privacy. I would have much rather have gotten accurate information from the principal than gossip from the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting