Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM

677 posts, read 934,412 times

Advertisements

So I was in Walmart today along with my husband & adult son, my husband was paying the cashier as I stood in front of him observing people walking by when I saw this young woman who was trying to control a screaming toddler who appeared to be about 2 yrs old. I assumed she was the mother & I'm looking at her with disdain not because the child was having a tantrum but because of his appearance. The child was naked other than having a diaper on, no shirt, pants, shoes, walking bare footed in the store. I said somewhat loudly to my son oh how trifling to bring a child out in public like this. The female cashier nodded as she overheard me, then I looked in the direction of the young woman who seemed to be reading my lips or perhaps she heard me as well. The child then squatted on the floor wrapping his arms around himself & I said directly to her he's cold, she said no he's mad. Then the real mother shows up walks right past them & goes into the bank, she said that's his mother. My son comes over to me & makes me turn away saying "mom it's not your business", I agree it's not but as we were leaving the store I made the comment to her as I walked by that his mother is downright trifling to bring a child outside the home like this cause he could possibly step on broken glass, someone's spit, or injure his feet on other debris, she looked at me with mouth agape like I had freaked her out with my comments, sure hope she passes that info onto the mother. As we were walking his mother comes up & snatches him by the hand pulling him along while the child is still crying, never once tried to comfort him & proceeded to take him outside to walk on a hot scorching pavement. Some people ought never be parents, they're really lousy at it.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
You were at Walmart...

Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
1. I don't think "trifling" means what you think it does;

2. MYOB

3. What did you hope to accomplish by staring with disdain and loud talking your disapproval?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
So I was in Walmart today along with my husband & adult son, my husband was paying the cashier as I stood in front of him observing people walking by when I saw this young woman who was trying to control a screaming toddler who appeared to be about 2 yrs old. I assumed she was the mother & I'm looking at her with disdain not because the child was having a tantrum but because of his appearance. The child was naked other than having a diaper on, no shirt, pants, shoes, walking bare footed in the store. I said somewhat loudly to my son oh how trifling to bring a child out in public like this. The female cashier nodded as she overheard me, then I looked in the direction of the young woman who seemed to be reading my lips or perhaps she heard me as well. The child then squatted on the floor wrapping his arms around himself & I said directly to her he's cold, she said no he's mad. Then the real mother shows up walks right past them & goes into the bank, she said that's his mother. My son comes over to me & makes me turn away saying "mom it's not your business", I agree it's not but as we were leaving the store I made the comment to her as I walked by that his mother is downright trifling to bring a child outside the home like this cause he could possibly step on broken glass, someone's spit, or injure his feet on other debris, she looked at me with mouth agape like I had freaked her out with my comments, sure hope she passes that info onto the mother. As we were walking his mother comes up & snatches him by the hand pulling him along while the child is still crying, never once tried to comfort him & proceeded to take him outside to walk on a hot scorching pavement. Some people ought never be parents, they're really lousy at it.
One time my daughter vomited all over herself when we were about to go into Walmart. She was wearing her last diaper and I needed to get medicine for her besides. I didn't have any extra clothes for her with me...at the time I had four changes of clothes for her and no dryer, so her other three outfits were hung up to dry. I washed them every day but I wasn't good at diapering yet and she spit up often, so we used all of her clothes most days. I cleaned her up and took her in the store in the diaper, with a blanket. It was night time but at least 85 degrees outside. Several people in the store told me what a horrible mother I was for bringing her into the store naked except for the diaper. Even the cashier said something to me.

So personally, I never judge people for something like that, because I've been so poor that I found myself in that situation. All you can do is try to ignore the mean things people say to you and try to get through the situation.

That mother should have carried him in the parking lot, but otherwise, do you know for sure that she had plenty of clothes for him and was just too lazy to put them on?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM

677 posts, read 934,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

2. MYOB

3. What did you hope to accomplish by staring with disdain and loud talking your disapproval?

I wasn't thinking about accomplishing anything, just giving a look of disproval.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I wasn't thinking about accomplishing anything, just giving a look of disproval.
Why though? If you aren't attempting to accomplish something, and you've already agreed (or at least told your son "I know") that it wasnt your business than what was the point?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

2. MYOB

Seriously!

Old 06-06-2016, 05:55 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
tri·fling
ˈtrīf(ə)liNG/
adjective
unimportant or trivial.
"a trifling sum"
synonyms: trivial, unimportant, insignificant, inconsequential, petty, minor, of little/no account, of little/no consequence, footling, pettifogging, incidental;

I copied the definition for you. Here's another one you should look at.

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty com·plex
noun
an attitude of superiority that conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Wow. I always thought it was customary to give a sympathetic "Hang in there" look when someone looks like they've been chewed up and spit out by their toddler. You have no idea what led up to that moment; the child could have threw up or had a diaper explosion all over clothes and shoes, and that would be the one time Mom forgot to check that there was a spare in the diaper bag.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
tri·fling
ˈtrīf(ə)liNG/
adjective
unimportant or trivial.
"a trifling sum"
synonyms: trivial, unimportant, insignificant, inconsequential, petty, minor, of little/no account, of little/no consequence, footling, pettifogging, incidental;

I copied the definition for you. Here's another one you should look at.

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty com·plex
noun
an attitude of superiority that conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.
Urban Dictionary: trifling

OP, standing in WalMart and making judgy comments out loud about someone else is just as trashy and "trifling" as bringing a baby who's wearing only a diaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting