Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:41 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
Here is the rule for my 15 and 12 year old boys: You choose to have a bad attitude I'll add another chore to their daily list. It seems to have cut the bad attitudes down to nil. It also removed the need to nag on them about their attitude. My kids know very well I will not tolerate bad attitudes, disrespectful "looks", and big sighs to state how they feel.

Side note: I have a bunch of silver platters that were well-shined in my home until my boys finally understood that I meant EVERY WORD of what I said that bad attitudes will be followed up with extra chores.
that's fine and dandy and I commend you,,,but be careful of zero tolerance- coaches are better than dictators

when they grow up and have their own place they might be slobs because they still hear your voice echo in their head

I've seen this play out many many times with friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 AM

772 posts, read 914,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you really don't want to raise a shrinking violet- later in life they are most susceptible to tolerating a man abusing her

when my son started getting an attitude- I didn't make it into a test of wills..i sat him down and asked what was really bothering him ... and why did I deserve that "tude?????

if you want me to treat you more age appropriately, then "act" that way

the only other thing I have to add is I'm glad I had a son

Can you explain more what you mean please ? what is a shrinking violet ?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:46 AM

656 posts, read 1,992,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that's fine and dandy and I commend you,,,but be careful of zero tolerance- coaches are better than dictators

when they grow up and have their own place they might be slobs because they still hear your voice echo in their head

I've seen this play out many many times with friends

I don't tolerate bad attitudes. Period.

I am a parent not a dictator.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:46 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Are you the mom or dad? I think it plays out differently with each parent.

Shrinking violet is someone who is afraid of others and doesn't have their own strength.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Wow, just starting? Consider yourself lucky. Do remind yourself that she is also experiencing hormonal issues that make her more irritable, so it isn't personal. But just starting at almost 13, count yourself very very lucky!

Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 AM

217 posts, read 247,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I don't tolerate bad attitudes. Period.

I am a parent not a dictator.
I can see your kids massively retaliating against you later in life. Sorry, but you come across much more as a dictator than a loving parent. I am not saying you don't love your kids, I am sure you do, but that's the way you just came across.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 AM

655 posts, read 1,129,528 times
I find it so discouraging when people automatically write off girls as horrible or hellions just because then turn a certain age. I have two daughters and my whole parenting life I have been told, "Wait until they are teenagers....you are going to have your hands full!" or "Two girls? You are going to hate the teen years!" or similar such comments.

Why do we do this? Seriously......why? It is almost as if we are setting them (and us) up for failure. Is there some attitude change during this time? Sure. They are changing rapidly in body and mind and this will lead to some attitude changes. Can they be disrespectful? Yep. But they are still in a learning mode and it is our jobs to keep teaching. But are they hellions or evil or out to get us? I say no. There are always exceptions to the rule but the majority of parents I know with teenage daughters are not praying for them to turn 18 already.

I have 11 and 14 YO girls. They also have heard the rhetoric so much growing up that they even repeat some of the clichés.....as if they are supposed to act a certain way because that is the perception.

We are doing a disservice to our daughters with this kind of talk and exaggeration. Why don't we start talking about the teen years in a more positive light? These are the last years that we get to spend with them before launching them into the world. They are wonderful people with ideas, feelings, goals, and opinions. They are also trying to learn how to be independent people and with this can come worry, fear, confusion, etc. This is when they need us even though they may not act like it. Our parental role starts to change from a manager to a consultant. Not telling them how to act and feel, but helping to problem solve by offering solutions and advice. While at the same time enforcing the rules and boundaries that they need to feel safe and grow up to become productive members of society.

Transitions are hard but don't write off your daughters just yet. Our jobs are tough enough without all of these preconceived notions of "the teenage years". Let's change the tone and not try and create drama where it may not exist.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Can you explain more what you mean please ? what is a shrinking violet ?
sometimes society frowns on a very strong willed child, we call them defiant, oppositional

teenagers are on new ground everyday, while we do want them to be independent we as parents have a tough time having them independent at us

a strong willed, highly determined young lady will take less crap from a guy than a passive girl(shrinking violet) will

as parents we are the first adults/authority teenagers challenge and of course we don't really like it .
to quash a strong willed or highly spirited child is wrong,,,we just need to re-direct them
boys use to get beaten because they were strong willed and rebellious years ago
but these strong willed boys usually turned into hard working men.... with high goals

Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
we don't have a dishwasher, there is dried food on the dishes on an almost daily basis, this just started recently though, normally the dishes are just fine ..

I'm seeing a pattern on sloppy chores, along with an attitude when asked about them ..

I guess I will just "get used to it" and wait 8 years for this to be over lol.
Not suggesting this, but let her do the dishes DON'T say anything if they're not "Good" then serve her dinner WITH that dish...If she complains then say "If you don't like it, maybe you could wash them better?"

I was never allowed to do the dishes, my Mother had been a short order cook and never trusted anyone to do dishes as good as she could do. But she sure taught me how to cook....

Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,302,429 times
I have a 13 year old daughter and she's lovely. Yes, she has her moments, but for the most part she's awesome (and I tell her that frequently). We had a period when she was 11 years old that she became a shrieking banshee over every little thing, but during that period I taught her about engaging in better communication, and how to avoid unnecessary escalation of teen hormone-driven emotions. When she starts to escalate with me, I may say, "Is this you acting like a hormonal teenager right now?" which de-escalates things almost immediately because it makes her laugh.

When I ask my daughter to do something, if she rolls her eyes or sighs heavily, I let it go, but I still require the chore be done - and she knows this. And once it's done I sing, "Thank you for doing that, [daughter], I love you!" And yes, sometimes I'll get a sarcastic, "Whatever, Mom," as she heads to her room, but other times I get a begrudging "You're welcome," followed by a request to watch a movie together.

I'm willing to let the occasional bad attitude fly by if she shows me a good one the majority of the time. Everyone should be allowed to be in a bad mood SOMEtimes. We're all human, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting